StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just checking to see if any of you would be any interest in a weekend summer meet and ride in South Western Ontario?

I could go on the Bancroft one, but I hate riding through Toronto. I know I'm a wimp.

Just checking to see if there is some interest before picking a location and date.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any rough idea on directions (area you're willing to go)?
Good question. Here are some options I'm thinking of;

1) Up through Kimberly to Collingwood and maybe have lunch at the Leaky Canoe in Meaford.

2) Owen Sound - ride Grey Road 1 to Wiarton

3) Goderich - Grand Bend area

4) Port Dover Area

I'm really open to any ideas that some of you may have.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hi All,

Just checking to see if any of you would be any interest in a weekend summer meet and ride in South Western Ontario?

I could go on the Bancroft one, but I hate riding through Toronto. I know I'm a wimp.

Just checking to see if there is some interest before picking a location and date.
Silly question, maybe - Why would going to Bancroft from Guelph have anything to do with going through Toronto?

Try heading north through Fergus, wind your way up to Orillia and cross over Simcoe/Couchiching at Atherley. The rest of the ride to Bancroft is spectacular from there. And if you're taking a little more time, take Hwy 11 to Bracebridge and follow 118 east toward Bancroft. Or farther north up 11 you can even tuck up into Algonquin park on 60 if you like. Just don't ride those stretches at dusk...unless you like wildlife of course.

In any event, a southwestern Ontario ride on nice straight, flat roads sounds, uh, fun :biggrinjester:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Silly question, maybe - Why would going to Bancroft from Guelph have anything to do with going through Toronto?

Try heading north through Fergus, wind your way up to Orillia and cross over Simcoe/Couchiching at Atherley. The rest of the ride to Bancroft is spectacular from there. And if you're taking a little more time, take Hwy 11 to Bracebridge and follow 118 east toward Bancroft. Or farther north up 11 you can even tuck up into Algonquin park on 60 if you like. Just don't ride those stretches at dusk...unless you like wildlife of course.

In any event, a southwestern Ontario ride on nice straight, flat roads sounds, uh, fun :biggrinjester:
I am a rider from Maine, and I couldn't agree with you more, Don!

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
I am a rider from Maine, and I couldn't agree with you more, Don!
I am a rider from Florida, the pancake state, and I couldn't fail not to disagree with him less! :headbang:

Should I go to Ontario or to Maine??? [answer is below]

I have ridden to slt824's suggested destinations in the past couple of years,
and all of them are terrific rides. A pleasant jaunt west from Port Dover, for example,
brings you to Port Burwell, where this little gem will entertain you:
Home Page

I recommend purchase of the Ontario Road Atlas. Recently I found this volume, three years old (now it's four) at Canadian Tire for $5. It is great. For example, if you want to ride from Dipsy to Doodle, fictitious towns only 13 kilometers apart, this volume will give you nineteen feasible routes, and you will easily see that one curves around three lakes and adds 4 kilometers to your journey. That one jaunt will pay for half the book! I use it when planning an Ontario ride, and I look forward to some of those in 2012. I have been sending you folks all the good weather I can spare for a few weeks, and it seems to be catching on. When it has a good holt on y'all, I will follow.

Keith

Oh, the answer. You knew it all along.
BOTH

Attachments

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The roads around me are not straight and flat... neither are the roads down near Hamilton and the Niagara escarpment....:fineprint:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would be interested (especially if the weather is warm!). Some nice rides in the Collingwood area but I am open to anywhere in the west.
Ken

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi All,

I'd be interested.

Plan it and they will come.............

~TR~

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

agre with Don. Bancroft and South-East area of it is one of the best for riding in Ontario. And you can avoid Toronto. No proble. For me 9am meet is a problem. To get there I need 2.5-3 hours. Most of the time if I go there it's either 2 or 3. days. That works for me the best.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The roads around me are not straight and flat... neither are the roads down near Hamilton and the Niagara escarpment....:fineprint:
Yes. Definitely I'd add Hamilton and Niagara Escarpment to the list. One of my favourite roads and scenerys. Since my riding body is shipping bike to Europe I'm in as well. Maybe Port Dover FRiday 13 this week might be good starting point. No I'm not big a fun of it, but we can meet there and go for few hours ride either North-West or South-East.

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
Hi All,

I wouldn't go through Toronto to get to Bancroft from your area unless time is a big factor. (Mind you on a Sunday AM traffic on 401 really isn't an issue and if it was there is 407.). There are lots of nice roads north of Toronto.

Having said that, let us know what you plan for a date. I would advise that you don't ask people what date is good.. just set a date (if you ask then no one will be happy and you won't get concensus that pleases everyone.)

I like the northern area from Collingwood to Lake Huron.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 43 Posts