StromTrooper banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
V-Strom 650 XT 2021 Euro5, Yamaha 2007 XMax 250 Euro3
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I live in southern California so I have the weather, and similar terrain. But food like that is rarely served (or correctly served). Luckily, I can easily buy the ingredients, sit outside my patio, and pretend I'm in Southern Italy.
I have been an expatriate for 25 years and lived and or worked on all continent's in the world and often not "nice" destinations. And I have learn one thing, you must be happy with what you have, and make the most out of it! Looks like you understood that too

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
fun fact:
Sardinia capital: Cagliari
City I live: Calgary ...close enough, I am (almost) half Sardinian ;)

Reactions: ThierryTravel

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It seems your french and italian will not help in Sardinia, how do you guys communicate ?
  • Italian
Cominciamo dai romani. In tutto l’impero la lingua ufficiale è il latino, ma è ufficiale per gli scritti come documenti, sentenze, ecc. Il popolo continua a parlare la lingua madre di origine e/o molto spesso una specie di latino molto influenzato dalla propria lingua madre. Tra il terzo e il quinto secolo d. C. con la decadenza dell’Impero romano, il parlato va sempre più differenziandosi dalla lingua ufficiale. Questa è l’origine delle lingue europee occidentali. Così in spagna si parla l’Ispano-latino, in Francia il Franco-latino, in Gran Bretagna l’Anglo-latino, ecc.
  • Sardinian (Logudorese)
Comintzamus dae sos romanos. In totu s’imperu sa limba officiale est su latinu, ma est officiale pro sos iscrittos comente documentos, sententzias, etc. Su populu sighit a faeddare sa limba madre de origine e/o boltas medas un’ispetzie de latinu influentziadu meda dae sa limba madre issòro. Intre su terzu e su quintu seculu d.C. cun sa decadentzia de s’Imperu romanu, su faeddu andat sempre piùs a si differentziare dae sa limba officiale. Custa est s’origine de sas limbas europeas occidentales. E gai in Hispagna si faeddat s’Hispanu-latinu, in Frantza su Francu-latinu, in Gran Bretagna s’Anglo-Latinu, etc.etc.
I had the problem this morning at breakfast, ask for cocomare ( watermelon ) , the waiter could not understand me. I show the "pastèque" and he said "si pastéqué, cocomare è per i romani"
It's even not Italiani vs sardi. It is romani vs sardi
But I am French so we just laughed

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I had the problem this morning at breakfast, ask for cocomare ( watermelon ) , the waiter could not understand me. I show the "pastèque" and he said "si pastéqué, cocomare è per i romani"
It's even not Italiani vs sardi. It is romani vs sardi
But I am French so we just laughed
you meant Anguria ? (watermelon) or is cocomare another word for same?

Sardinians hard to understand, almost like Sicilians :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
We had 1kg Fiorentina for 2 with a good bottle of 🍷. My daughter has home made tiramisu, and I had mirto digestive alcohol, love it

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
149 Posts
Wow. That water looks super clean. The beach doesn't look crazy crowded either for being summertime over there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Wow. That water looks super clean. The beach doesn't look crazy crowded either for being summertime over there.
It is empty for peak 15 July - 15 August
Even on the road there is none, but it is true this part of the island is not the lost touristic place. The ferry was 90% full though

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
149 Posts
What a view! It sort of reminds me of the Mexican Yucatan Peninsula. Must be hot and dry throughout the year in Sardinia?

Also, is it true that most meals are served with wine?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
What a view! It sort of reminds me of the Mexican Yucatan Peninsula. Must be hot and dry throughout the year in Sardinia?

Also, is it true that most meals are served with wine?
Yes this is regional Mediterranean climate, hot and dry with mild winters. But still high enough to have snow on tops, some years.
You can find natives cactus there, producing figues (figues de barbarie in French)

Yes wine is a big part of the culture, all over northern part of Mediterranean land.
Red, white, rosé, name the color! We had tonight half liter, fairly good red win, for 4 Euros ( that's less than 5 USD)

This region is my preferred region in the world, may be with Balinese islands.

If one day you have the opportunity, fly to Italy, rent a bike and wonder around for a month. I know, you will not be desapointed

·
Registered
355 Posts
Magnifico! I love all travel reports, especially reports with pictures from beautiful places that I love. We'll be back in Italy this fall for six weeks. My sister bought a new house I the country in Umbria, and I suspect there will be lots of work to do. And a few aperitivi as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Magnifico! I love all travel reports, especially reports with pictures from beautiful places that I love. We'll be back in Italy this fall for six weeks. My sister bought a new house I the country in Umbria, and I suspect there will be lots of work to do. And a few aperitivi as well.
I am resident in Rome, PM me if you like, to have one aperitivo and meet. Umbria is not fare, it is a bit our playground for me and my wife for day trips.
Where about is your sister's house?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts