StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of a 2-week trip out to Mt. Rushmore, the Black Hills and Devils' Tower July 21 - Aug. 6. That time window is my best opportunity for a bike trip this summer.

Is SD hot as hell :flaming_devil: that time of year or reasonable? I've checked the weather stats and it seems I can expect temps in the mid 90's but low-ish humidity... with maybe the occasional nasty thunderstorm.

I'll be traveling from/to Northern Ontario. I figure it's about 3-4 easy days to get to Rapid City from here.

- Martin

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm cutting it kinda close to biker week.

I noticed some hotels in SD are filling up for the week before Sturgis already. Not a good sign.

- Martin.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Weather out there is crazy.. I've worked at the Rally the last 2 years and in the 17ish days I'm there, on average it's beautiful weather.. The mercury may say mid/high 90's but it's not bad at all because the humidity is so low & there is usually a breeze to be found. Now, storms out there are wicked. Last year it had been kinda cloudy all day and within 2 minutes it went to winds flipping tables over & so much rain you couldn't even see & then some hail mixed in. 5 minutes later it was bright sunshine out & you would've never known it happened. The really cool thing is because it's so flat you can see for days & you can see big thunderheads off in the distance, and possibly prep for it.

Mount Rushmore is very cool, I got to visit it with a LRST Vet who got his legs & part of both arms blown off and it was so humbling what an incredible guy (that's a story for a few beers). Crazy horse is amazing, just to think of the scale and the story behind it, definitely a must see. & I really just enjoy the ride through the back country.
It is truly God's country out there, so beautiful, and so desolate.. The first week but not official rally will be while you're still out there, good time to slide through, grab a t-shirt & kinda check things out if you want to because it'll still be really dead.
Rooms will book extremely fast, but if you're into camping there's no shortage of places to throw a tent up. People rent plots on their land everywhere.
Oh yea! I forget the name of it, but there's a place in Deadwood (I think) that has some killer steaks. A little on the pricier side, but they're really good.

Hope I didn't bore you and maybe helped.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello Martin,
This is an awesome place to ride your V-Strom. Let me know if you have any questions or need any assistance or maybe a riding partner for a day. Many of the roads will be hectic during the Rally, but there are so many great back roads waiting for you.
TheBlade

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been the the area 4 times in the past 20 years. I like staying near Keystone. There's a great campground on Iron Mountain Road. You have to ride that road even if you you don't camp there. There's another campground that I have stayed at that is west of the light in Keystone on the county road. Also ride Needles. Get a local map that shows the back roads at one of the convenience stores. Keystone has good eating places and a boardwalk. The old part of town is on the east side. Go there to buy groceries to take back to camp.

·
Registered
22 Posts
South dakota ride

Hi I live in Yankton South Dakota south east corner I presume you will be crossing the state on I-90 it may get warm across the eastern and middle part of the state once you get to the hills the wheather should be very nice . As far as campgrounds go there are may all along the way the state has campground booklets that they will mail or you can down load them yourself. If you have the time you may want to visit the northwest corner of the state next to North Dakota and Montana. Another magazine that has some really good site areas is South Dakota magazine it is published here in Yankton they ran an issue in a few months ago about many different spots to see (places I have never herd of and I have lived here for 60 plus years) their number is 605-665-6655 I hope this may be of help for your trip have fun and be safe. ps I have plans of doing an Iron Butt run across the state in to wyoming sometime this summer , if you see a big yellow vstrom 1000 with an old guy on board please wave.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback... I'll definitely check out the recommendations.

My trip is all set for July 21 - Aug. 6... 17 days of just me and the bike. :hurray:

The plan is to hit to Rapid City via I90 by July 24th, explore the area for a few days, head to Deadwood for a day, and then swing west and north (Devil's Tower, Little Bighorn battlefield) and then head home via I94 and the Trans Canada.

Can't wait to hit the road! My last bike trip was to Newfoundland back in 2009... looking forward to warmer and drier weather this time around. :thumbup:

- Martin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts