StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a kind of how the HD riders listen to music, as I can hear them too(from Loud speekers).
I want to know what source of music you use?
Do you listen from Cell phone via Sena?
is the sena Capable of being connected to Cell and GPS at the same time?
in California using double plug in the ear is ticket, so I donot use Ipod with wired earheadphones.
I want to know about your experience and ALso want to know how can we listen to live radio?is there athing such as Xm satellite radio for motorcycles with capability of Bluetooth?
Thank you:smile2:
Ride safe/Ride long

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Whew ...lot of questions in a small space.

Single earphone plus earplug works fine.

I listen to my music library from my phone.

I suspect there is Live streaming on a phone but have not done it.

If the GPS App is on the phone then yes it works seamlessly......the music pauses when verbal instructions come on.

I do think the SENA 20s can accept Bluetooth from different sources and you can set the heirarchy.

I prefer straight to earphones from the phone without the SENA in the middle but when riding with my son I'd hardwire to the SENA 20 input.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use an I-pod with Bluetooth to a bilt helmet. Have about 50+ albums and keeps me occupied.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
I use several Sena SMH10's and they will multi-pair to a phone and GPS and connect to another SMH10 - all at the same time. :wink2: I connect the phone for music and listen with Sony ear buds connected to the Sena. It has an excellent sound with a Schuberth helmet. On the phone no one can tell I am on a motorcycle. It is crystal clear stereo music. I have about 700 songs on my phone and use Amazon Prime (live stream and download) and have SiriusXM. I have downloaded them all for offline listening at this point.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sena 20s paired to my phone. If I’m in an area with good service, I’ll stream music. Without service I use the music library stored on my phone.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I use several Sena SMH10's and they will multi-pair to a phone and GPS and connect to another SMH10 - all at the same time. :wink2: I connect the phone for music and listen with Sony ear buds connected to the Sena. It has an excellent sound with a Schuberth helmet. On the phone no one can tell I am on a motorcycle. It is crystal clear stereo music. I have about 700 songs on my phone and use Amazon Prime (live stream and download) and have SiriusXM. I have downloaded them all for offline listening at this point.
+1 on Sena.

I use the Sena SMH10R (this was their first low profile model, they now also offer the 10R, I think that is the model number, that is similar in design but with new tech and features) via Blu-tooth. The speakers in the helmet sound OK, although they have a lot of high frequency response and with certain music can get a little shrill. All of that is solved by wearing foam earplugs. And yes, you can hear music and phone conversations just fine with foam earplugs in, just turn up the speaker volume. I have had telephone conversations at 60 mph with the visor of my helmet all the way open and the other end couldn't tell - I even asked them about it. The noise cancelling is great on these units.

As was previously mentioned, the Sena line (at least the 10 or higher series, not sure about their least expensive base models: 5 or less series) can pair with several audio sources simultaneously as well as other units (Sena or universal) for intercom. You can even share your music to the intercom helmets. The intercom helmets can also skip songs forward or reverse using their controls.

If you prefer headphones, you can buy an adapter cable for the 10 or higher series that replaces the speakers with a headphone jack.

Some of the Sena products can be purchased with FM tuners built into them. I haven't messed with mine. I imagine that tuning would be a pain in the butt with only a few buttons to choose from.

Sena also offers a couple of products that will accept audio input from a headphone patch cable and broadcasts it over Bluetooth to the helmet unit. But they are pricey. I suspect that any device that can pair with Blutooth and has an audio input will pair up and work just fine. Sena has several pairing options and configurations to use.

I have not searched through SiruisXM's products to see if they have a receiver module that will dump audio over a Bluetooth connection.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Most of the time I stream SiriusXM through my phone (to the Sena) over LTE and it works great. I used to have a subscription on my Zumo 665LM (it has the module) but dropped it. Now we just have it on our car and truck but can access it over the Internet so I need data service.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/120318

+1 on Sena.

I use the Sena SMH10R (this was their first low profile model, they now also offer the 10R, I think that is the model number, that is similar in design but with new tech and features) via Blu-tooth. The speakers in the helmet sound OK, although they have a lot of high frequency response and with certain music can get a little shrill. All of that is solved by wearing foam earplugs. And yes, you can hear music and phone conversations just fine with foam earplugs in, just turn up the speaker volume. I have had telephone conversations at 60 mph with the visor of my helmet all the way open and the other end couldn't tell - I even asked them about it. The noise cancelling is great on these units.

As was previously mentioned, the Sena line (at least the 10 or higher series, not sure about their least expensive base models: 5 or less series) can pair with several audio sources simultaneously as well as other units (Sena or universal) for intercom. You can even share your music to the intercom helmets. The intercom helmets can also skip songs forward or reverse using their controls.

If you prefer headphones, you can buy an adapter cable for the 10 or higher series that replaces the speakers with a headphone jack.

Some of the Sena products can be purchased with FM tuners built into them. I haven't messed with mine. I imagine that tuning would be a pain in the butt with only a few buttons to choose from.

Sena also offers a couple of products that will accept audio input from a headphone patch cable and broadcasts it over Bluetooth to the helmet unit. But they are pricey. I suspect that any device that can pair with Blutooth and has an audio input will pair up and work just fine. Sena has several pairing options and configurations to use.

I have not searched through SiruisXM's products to see if they have a receiver module that will dump audio over a Bluetooth connection.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sena and Cardo can both pair Bluetooth from multiple sources and will turn down the volume of music in favor of voice or GPS. Kinda cool.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
I don't use a Sena(dont want to yap while riding) so I can't help there. But, I am an avid music listener while riding and for me I found a cheap workable solution:

$20- https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Bluetooth-Headphone-Earphones-Lightweight/dp/B075L85WW8/ref=dp_ob_title_wld

Usb chargeable and they last 10 hrs for real.

Throw away the rubber earbud tips...they allow too much ambient noise in and buy some foam earbud tip replacements like these(I like the green because they are easy to find if they pop off):

$8.68- https://www.amazon.com/pieces-memory-earphone-Replacement-medium-size/dp/B07DYG88GS/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1535421690&sr=1-5&keywords=green+replacement+foam+earbud+memory

I use Pandora($5 a month) and have been "thumbs upping" for a couple of years, so my thumprint station is packed with all my favorites and it even works when no cell signal is present.

You can still hear a car horn/traffic as long as you keep the volume to a reasonable level. I even bought a second headset so I have one charged at all times and a backup in case of a failure on a road trip.

Now go ride...........

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a Sony Walkman. I ride with a backpack full of cassettes and extra batteries.

:var_24:

OK, actually I ride with an iPod Classic (OK, one of 3 that I have :mod_cool:) and wired earbuds. (good ones :punk:)

With 20,000+ tracks on any one of them, cross-country trips have no repeats.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never had idea this many options exist,
Now I have to figure out to send the music from my 10 years old non Bluetooth I pod to my Sena 30K,or a way to upload from Ipod to my apple I phone.
I don't like the quality of 30K at speed as wind is louder than headset ,but with wired ear plugs it is better.
I am sure there is something I am missing.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I'm not sure which speakers came with the 30K, but sena also offers larger (and smaller) speakers that may be compatible.

I know plenty that ride with ear buds. Some even have Bluetooth ear buds to "cut the cord" running through their gear.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Cardo Scala Rider G9 for me. Intercom with my GF, FM radio, Bluetooth Phone (for calls and navigation via Google Maps), Bluetooth Music and AUX-in (wired 3.5mm plug). Voice controlled if you want to, otherwise you need to use the buttons. There is a fairly sensible priority order for the various sources built-in, and it works for about a full day of riding on a single charge.

The only issue I've had so far is that the double-sided tape eventually lets go. Easily solved with two small screws. Oh, and with a system helmet you need to use the boom mike, which is a bit awkward. A non-system helmet allows you to use a small microphone and glue/velcro that directly in front of your mouth, with the wire tucked away behind the inner liner of the helmet.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I never had idea this many options exist,
Now I have to figure out to send the music from my 10 years old non Bluetooth I pod to my Sena 30K,or a way to upload from Ipod to my apple I phone.
I don't like the quality of 30K at speed as wind is louder than headset ,but with wired ear plugs it is better.
I am sure there is something I am missing.
According to Sena's website, the 30K has an Aux in port. You should be able to just plug it in.

https://support.sena.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000797306?mobile_site=true

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question but is it legal to ride a motorcycle with headphones on?

I've done it a few times but I assumed it was not legal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been riding on the street for 3 years, and nothing can describe going from complete silence and hand signals, to actually being able to connected with your riding companions over longer ranges for conversation and Bluetooth music sharing—up to 900 meters (980 yards) via the SMH10 Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset/Intercom. Pairs easily with my iphone and allows easy access to music, calls, navigation, etc...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not sure which speakers came with the 30K, but sena also offers larger (and smaller) speakers that may be compatible.

I know plenty that ride with ear buds. Some even have Bluetooth ear buds to "cut the cord" running through their gear.
30 K has cord.one size Speakers that matches exactly to the size of pre-cut Shoei helmet speakers. For the microphone they give you 3 options, For modular helmet , for open face helmet and full face close helmet , I am using the third , quality is excellent.no wind sound on the other side of interphone , or Mesh heard., My local shops including Cycle gear are helpful answering , but they do not know more than my self at this point , since they have to learn lots of things to cover for lots of product , I am planning to read the SENA 30 K catalog and watch the videos, A $ 300 device should be able to offer much more than just a mesh connection to 16 bikes. do not you think so?
Ride safe/Ride long

:smile2:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts