StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I've had this one for about a year. Its cheaper. Althought its not waterproof... so you need to put it someplace were it won't see any/much water. I made a little bracket for it that puts it under the guages on the bike. Its covered there so rain doesn't hit it but i can still see it while riding. I know its got wet from washing the bike(which i don't do often) and its still working good.

http://www.aerostich.com/5-function-digital-meter.html

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Mine has lived under the gauges for four years now and is still going strong.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Just the gauge I was looking for with the all items displayed. I will mount it under a Pat Walsh shelf to keep it out of the rain.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
I've had this one for about a year. Its cheaper. Althought its not waterproof... so you need to put it someplace were it won't see any/much water. I made a little bracket for it that puts it under the guages on the bike. Its covered there so rain doesn't hit it but i can still see it while riding. I know its got wet from washing the bike(which i don't do often) and its still working good.

http://www.aerostich.com/5-function-digital-meter.html

:bom_thumbsdown: I have to say that I am disapointed in Aerostitch now

a couple years ago, I almost bought that particular meter but noticed that all the reviews that were posted on the aerostitch website were negative, when I just clicked on your link to see if it was the same meter, I noticed that there are no longer any reviews of that product posted on the aerostitch website, I can only assume that aerostitch deleted them cause they were all negative.

I also posed the question about the product on the LDriders forum, didn't hear anyhitng good there either

anyway, the #1 common complaint was that the voltmeter is not accurate

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
My voltmeter is 0.3V low and the thermometer is 5 degrees high. Both numbers are consistent so I can work with that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Just the gauge I was looking for with the all items displayed. I will mount it under a Pat Walsh shelf to keep it out of the rain.
That's what I did. But I sealed all the gaps/openings with silicone sealer as well. Reads a little low as you can see in the pic's, but it is close enough for me. Got it at xchoppers.com for around $27 http://xchoppers.com/product_info.php?cPath=86&products_id=1620

here's the pics:

http://home.comcast.net/~jadenf/myvstrom/vstrom_dash.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jadenf/myvstrom/voltmeter.jpg

·
Registered
435 Posts
My voltmeter is 0.3V low and the thermometer is 5 degrees high. Both numbers are consistent so I can work with that.
I don't think I could cope with that. The stock speedo drives me nuts as it is!

·
Registered
24 Posts
A little update.

The Chinese triple gauge that I touted as so nice did not last. One month of light rain and a few hot days and it reads way off on volts. I will probably replace it as soon as I find suitable meters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
meter

seems it only take a couple drops for my volts to go way up, in a few days it goes back to normal or least it did one more time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
seems it only take a couple drops for my volts to go way up, in a few days it goes back to normal or least it did one more time.
Well, shortly after my previous post the cheap meter completely failed. No display at all, just the back light. Will be removing it soon.

At least it looked and worked good for a while.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
best voltmeter ever

your dome light !! (with engine off)

oops - bikes don't have dome lights :furious:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
So no one has come up with a better replacement?
I have this one and after washing my bike its been goofy (about a year).
Sometimes it says my voltage is 19.
Mike

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
try

Try cyclemaxohio.com = I just got my digital temp gauge p/n 45-1407 and my volt meter p/n 45-1405 = face measures 1 1/2" x 1" = they're a nice size, they match, they say they're weatherproof, they're made for G-Wing. Delivered less than $30 each. I'm in the process of mounting mine on each side of my ing. switch. Check 'm out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try cyclemaxohio.com = I just got my digital temp gauge p/n 45-1407 and my volt meter p/n 45-1405 = face measures 1 1/2" x 1" = they're a nice size, they match, they say they're weatherproof, they're made for G-Wing. Delivered less than $30 each. I'm in the process of mounting mine on each side of my ing. switch. Check 'm out.
I'll check it out. I miss having those meters. Especially the ambient temperature.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
almost finished

Just need to hook up a perm. power wire and I'll be ready to roll with my new temp and volt gauge / meter =
I tested them today during the install, small, yet easy to read. The backs have some sort of neat sealing stuff, they look water proof. I'm impressed with the workmenship. Time will tell the real story. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just need to hook up a perm. power wire and I'll be ready to roll with my new temp and volt gauge / meter =
I tested them today during the install, small, yet easy to read. The backs have some sort of neat sealing stuff, they look water proof. I'm impressed with the workmenship. Time will tell the real story. I'll keep you posted.
Pictures Please!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sweetcreek, I'd like to order those LED gauges. Are they easy to read in sunlight? Are they overly bright at night?
John
No, and no. They aren't bright enough to be easily read on sunlight unless you shield the meter face with your hand (or body), and, being red, they will not bother you at night at all.

I installed just the voltmeter version of these gauges. They are a direct clone of the DATEL panel meters that cost >$50 each, so a pretty good value. I did not feel the need for an ambient temp gauge. If I'm shivering, it's cold. If I'm sweating, it's hot. I don't need to know anything more in between. But the battery voltage is wicked important (to me) as it could sneak up on you and leave you stranded sometime.

I installed mine at the same time as the heated grips (first reason for lower battery charging). Here's my post complete with pictures.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts