StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm trying to cull the herd a little bit and just sold my KLR. As soon as my Victory cruiser sells I'll be in the market for a Vee. I have my sites set on a low mileage 06 or newer bike. I know I'll want a set of hard bags/panniers. What other farkles should I be looking for? I'm aware of the chudder issue. Are there any other "gotchas" I need to watch for? Nice low mileage bikes are a little rare which means I might be flying somewhere to get it and ride home. I kind of look forward to this but it means I really need to pay attention ahead of time because once I step on a plane I've basically bought it. While I'm rambling, one last concern, do California bikes have extra emissions equipment like a cat converter etc?

Thanks,

-Norris

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Vees run very lean. Many work fine by getting TPS and TBS adjustments spot on. Some need the fuel map adjusted more for rideability than emissions control. See if it is smooth from 2500-3500rpm. Be much more concerned with a maintenance history than mileage. A low mileage bike has often been neglected. A properly maintained daily rider is much more likely to be problem free than a bike that sits around developing rust and gumming up. There are two guys I know of with over 200,000 miles on Vees with only scheduled maintenance done.

The only difference with a California legal bike is tank venting. They have vent pipes inside the tank that terminate near the filler caps while the other ends lead to charcoal canisters that connect to the air intakes. Other models have one way air valves in the gas caps. All models have the same PAIR air handling systems and catalytic converters.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Suzuki is offering 0% apr until the end of the month. Have you considered that towards a new one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

Greywolf, you've given me some good things to consider.

UpToNoGood, you are living up to your screenname! :biggrinjester:

I toyed with the idea of a new one but I'll be flat strapped if I buy a new one and I want to make sure I have a little reserve for some tires or tweaks I might need. It seems like I should be able to get a nicely kitted used bike in the $6-$7K range but a stripped new one is around $9K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, another newbee question. A lot of bikes with EFI have remaps available from the factory. Does the Vee have a Stage I,II,III ?

My Victory Stage I was new pipes and a new EFI map. Are Vees similar?

-Norris

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Suzuki does not offer any other maps. A Teka or Yosh box can rewrite the stock map or a Power Commander can be installed to change the values coming from the ECM.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If I were you you I would strongly consider buying a bike with Power Commander already in or consider additional US$300.00. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Another suggestion.... Take a look on the forum for section of selling bikes and goods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts