StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I am looking at my 1st bike, and I have picked a 650 Vstrom. hope to have one this year.

I do have a question ios how to find the best competitive used price froa 650 (even if ity has no accessories?) people are selling them too high at the moment.

if someone can give me pointers, i do not want lowball someone and tick them off, but i also do not want pay high prices either :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Buying a bike this time of year, you are going to pay more. V-stroms are not out there in great numbers in the used bike sections at the best of times, but spring is when an owner is least likely to part with their ride....

DO you have a budget? have you considered driving into the USA to buy? the Strong canadian Dollar combined with high US inventories can make for much better deals in the USA for new and used bikes...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does it cost for bringing the bike across the border? never considered it as i heard it was a pain in the ass to do.

i want to spend no more than $6000 on a bike.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Under 6k should be easy. I spent $4300US on my 2007 650 ABS model when I bought it in February. It had the full factory luggage setup and 21,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
What does it cost for bringing the bike across the border? never considered it as i heard it was a pain in the ass to do...
I picked up a bike in the US this spring. It is really quite easy to do. Go to the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) and follow their steps. I think it is easier if you buy from a dealer that has experience with selling to Canada. I could see it be a little more challenging if you buy privately.

Registrar of Imported Vehicles

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
A bit to late. About 3-4 weeks ago there was a guy here selling 09 orange Wee with 350 miles on it for $5500US OBO, with few hundrets in extras on it. Generaly prices in USA are not as good as they used to be. Specialy on V Stroms.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh well the prices in Alberta will drop within the next month I figure, if not i wait, or go and get a new 11 orange 650 from a dealer

used price in AB right now one might as well buy new :) i just want something reasonable for my 1st ever bike

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I don't want to stomp on your dream of buying a Strom as your first bike but, may I suggest you pick up something used to learn on?

Find something used, but serviceable, cheap and learn on that for a year. Ususally you can pick up a used bike of around a couple thousand, ride it for a year and sell it for the same when you're done with it.

Don't take this link as being "The Rules" but there is a good deal of wisdom in it...

Index - Beginners Guide to Motorcycling - Beginner's Guide to Motorcycling

"Word of advice on buying a new bike: Not to overly worry you or discourage the purchase of a new motorcycle, but almost everyone drops their bike in their first year. It is "normal" to hear and know people who have done this so if it happens to you, don't freak out about it. So my advice is, if you really want that new first bike try to buy a model that isn't expensive to replace scratched/damaged components. Sport bike plastic farings can run hundreds of dollars each (or more), chrome isn't as expensive to replace unless there is gobs of it damaged, and naked bikes with no farings or gobs of chrome as the cheapest to fix up like the Suzuki GS500 for example."

More reading... Reviews, Tips and Beginner Guides for New Motorcycle Riders | Best Beginner Motorcycles

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Probably in a good cause.

Wow. Did I kill this thread?
If my first bike had been a 650,
I do not think you would have met me.

I hope the OP is having lots of fun on a CBR-125R or similar.
That is a fascinating bike to learn on, and it's still fun,
even if you have ridden as far as from here to the moon.

Keith

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No there jsut wasnt any more to say LOL But I did gety a Wee (06 Blue) Love the bike, easy to handlle i have put on close to 500km (some city some highway) in about 3 or 4 days.

No issues handling this bike at all

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Whew!

I am glad to see you are still with us. A lot of us wish we were riding in Alberta about now. I am in Toronto for a while, with small bikes only, because I admit I am too old and feeble to load my Wee-Strom onto a trailer.

Enjoy your ride (as if you had a choice in that matter).

Keith

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am enjoying the bike a lot!!! its a great ride and i am happy as a pig in well yiou know what i mean :)

not just trying to priortize what i am going to add 1st. and trying to get out on a ride every chance i get

Hope to see other strommers on the road as well :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts