StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that i want to turn my Wee into mostly road touring machine. I've already got bags, a centerstand, a touring windshield, rox risers, and 12v pwer supplies.. Now I've been thinking of ways to make the bike more comfortable. I'm currently using the stock seat with a seat of bead riders, but only have about an hour of riding before I start having to shift around, So I've been looking for a used Corbin or Sargent seat. My next thoughts were suspension. I'm pretty heavy at 280 and my wife rides with me 90% of the time and she is 130.

So I imagine the bike is woefully under suspended for our combined weight. I've heard good things about sonic and I've been talking with them via email about the correct springs. My question to you guys would the springs improve the bikes overall comfort? I'm not a performance rider by any means. I take it easy and mostly look at the scenery so a mod that is going to make a big difference while scraping a knee is not really something I need. I'm thinking of a sasquatch rebuild for the rear as the current ride is pretty harsh, but that will wait until the rainy cold month of january. Where as the new springs I can put in before I go on a big Florida ride next month. So what are your thoughts? Would the springs improve the bikes overall comfort?

Dom

·
Registered
181 Posts
Easy...

.90 Sonic springs with 12 wt fork oil.

Done.

You are welcome.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich's recommendation was 1.00 with 15wt.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I have 1.0's and I weigh less than you and ride solo.

You're going to need a much heavier spring in the back as well. Whether you have the stocker resprung or get a better shock depends on your budget.

The other change that folks make on the DL650 is to put in Intiminators or Racetech cartridges to improve the performance over bumps.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Depends on your definition of comfort -- the bike will definitely handle better, meaning less effort and tension for you. The biggest thing you notice right away is less brake dive.

Don't wait on the rear shock -- get it rebuilt pronto, if not sooner. That will make a huge difference in handling, you won't bottom out over bumps, it will stop wallowing, and the bike will be FAR more pleasant to ride.

You may also want to replace the noodly stock handlebar with something stiffer -- I found that the stock handlebar's incessant flapping was extremely tiresome. A set of MSR ATV bars took care of that for around $25.

·
Registered
631 Posts
EDIT: First figures were for a Vee, not a Wee

Stock springs up front are .65's and and an 8.2 in back which would barely be adequate for a 125 pound rider.

For 280 you'd need 1.10's up front and a 15.5 spring in back.

For 280 + 130 you need 1.3's up front and a 17.4 spring in back.

I've never seen 1.3's for Vstrom springs. Highest is 1.2's which would be for roughly a 350 pound rider. Rear spring, they've got 16.1's, 17.8's and even 19.6's.

Is the wife really on the bike with you 9 out of every 10 rides? If so, I'd think about setting it up for 350 pound load on average. 1.1's or 1.2's up front and the 16.1 out back.

Either way it's going to be loads better than what you're working with now.

With that higher load on your bike, I hope you've also beefed up the brakes with at least stainless lines and HH compound pads like from Galfer. I'd also flush the brake fluid every 10k miles or once a year.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
simple answer is to call jay @ suspensions by sasquatch. he is an expert.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Don't wait on the rear shock -- get it rebuilt pronto, if not sooner. That will make a huge difference in handling, you won't bottom out over bumps, it will stop wallowing, and the bike will be FAR more pleasant to ride.
+1

You might be able to pick up a used shock, maybe one that is worn out and cheap, get that rebuilt by Jay, then sell your surplus shock. Yes, Jay at Sasquatch is a suspension expert, and so is Rich at Sonic.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm 275 with gear solo only and they recommended 0.95 springs. I'm not a performance rider. Made breaking less exciting and less squirrley in turns. Comfort is not better or worse. Just different. Also better in cross winds. Major improvement.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I do not know how to calculate the springs and oil..... I do know Rich's advice and hence the Sonic Springs has been the second best (after the Russel Day Long Seat) aftermarket improvement to my Wee. Bottoming out on pot holes or even dips on the interstate was an issue before, let alone brake dive, and I weigh only 150# plus gear.

I haven't had work on the rear shock yet...... that's the next item

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
at 220lbs solo 80% of the time - i find 0.90kg quite good compromise between comfort and control. Additional pillion and luggage requires firmer spring on rear - u have that front need not be further compensated.

By deduction of my own experience - i believe 1.0 should give a reasonable control without sacrificing too much comfort. u need a 11.5kg rear spring minimum.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was talking to my neighbor about installing the springs he had an interesting idea. Would it be possible to install the springs without taking the forks off the bike?

Remover the bars
Open the forks
pull the springs
Drain old fluid with vacuum pump
add new fluid
insert springs
button up forks
replace bars

Do you guys think this will work?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was talking to my neighbor about installing the springs he had an interesting idea. Would it be possible to install the springs without taking the forks off the bike?

Remover the bars
Open the forks
pull the springs
add new fluid
insert springs
button up forks
replace bars

It is a no brainer to take the forks off .... Remember the triple tree stays on ...

Only the fork tubes need to come off which is easy to do ...

I just did this job a few weeks ago and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you remove them to do it ... Believe me, it wont save time/work by fighting it ...

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts

Remover the bars
Open the forks
pull the springs
add new fluid
insert springs
button up forks
replace bars

It'll work, kind of, but it's actually easier and faster to pull the tubes.
Plus, if you do it that way you never get all the all the old oil out, and the bit you leave behind is the dirtiest, nastiest stuff. Harder to set the level accurately too.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It'll work, kind of, but it's actually easier and faster to pull the tubes.
Plus, if you do it that way you never get all the all the old oil out, and the bit you leave behind is the dirtiest, nastiest stuff. Harder to set the level accurately too.
How do you recommend flushing out all the old gunk? Is there a fluid you can flush it with? Or is it just let gravity drain it all out?

·
Registered
394 Posts
How do you recommend flushing out all the old gunk? Is there a fluid you can flush it with? Or is it just let gravity drain it all out?
I used EL Cheapo ATF from Walmart ... It did a fine job ... Flushed and filled a couple of times ... Made a big difference. Stuff that came out was not pretty ...

I let them sit upside down overnight to fully drain and then put is 15weight Spectro and am much happier now ...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used EL Cheapo ATF from Walmart ... It did a fine job ... Flushed and filled a couple of times ... Made a big difference. Stuff that came out was not pretty ...

I let them sit upside down overnight to fully drain and then put is 15weight Spectro and am much happier now ...
What is ATF?..

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm 285 and I have 1.1 sonics and a HEAVY rear spring and they work great for 2 up with my wife ( she is 160 or so ).

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
The ATF works fine, and the price is right. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts