StromTrooper banner

What Springs and Oil Weight did you choose?

• .85, less than or equal to 10wt

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • .85, greater than or equal to 12.5wt

• .90, less than or equal to 10wt

• .90, greater than or equal to 12.5wt

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • .95, less than or equal to 10wt

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • .95, greater than or equal to 12.5wt

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • 1.0, less than or equal to 10wt

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • 1.0, greater than or equal to 12.5wt

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • 1.1, less than or equal to 10wt

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • 1.1, greater than or equal to 12.5wt

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Inquiring minds would like to know.....

Please respond to the poll, but I think it would be very informative to find out specifics and commments about your Sonic Spring Experience. So, besides voting, please answer the following questions if you have a done the Sonic Spring job.

Bike: (650 or 1000)
Wet Weight + Rider + Gear: (lbs)
Springs Installed: (85's, 90's, 95's, etc.)
Oil Weight: (10wt, 12.5wt, 15wt, etc.)
Type of Riding: (Racing/Hard Twisties, City/Commute Riding, 10% dirt, 40% rough dirt)

Comments:

Thanks!

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'll be the first to reply........

Bike: DL650
Wet Weight + Rider + Gear: 475 + 275 + 100 = 850lbs
Springs Installed: .95
Oil Weight: Undecided: 11.6wt (2 pints of 10wt and 1 pint of 15wt, mixed)
Type of Riding: 80% Pavement (Town, Twisties, Mountain) and 20% Fire Roads and Rough Mountain Jeep Trails

Comments: The jury is out, as I will be installing tomorrow.

Road them today on a MotoX Track (yeah I took it easy), but WOW.....WOW.....what a difference. I can't wait to take this bike back up to the San Juans!!!!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
08 650
springs are the .95's with a combo of 15w and 10w oil per maker's recommendation.

weight 425 (bike) + 175 (me) + 30 (gear)

zero off road riding, just ride for fun wherever I feel like exploring

results are terrific stability and solidness, like comparing an old Buick to a German road car. Tendency to ride faster because it's easier and under control, but I don't ride stupid (I hope). I stated elsewhere on this forum the night I got them installed that I was riding home from having them put in, and realized I was going 90 mph, which I never do, because the bike felt like it was doing 60 or so - just great!

bottom line for me is it's a great mod for the bike

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm happy with the results I got from the calculator on the website. 10w oil. 1.0 kg/mm

I used the calculator a few times with different input to see what the differences were.

After two years and 33,000 miles on the Sonic springs, I haven't met a situation where I wished I had made a different choice.

Oh, if you're gonna load the bike up towards the GVW, you really ought to beef up the rear spring and/or shock too.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I tried 15wt with .9kg springs and it was too heavy. I might have gone to 10wt this winter but I went with a rebuild using Traxxion cartridges instead. It's making me itch that it may be months before I can test the new suspension.

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
Bike: DL650
Wet Weight + Rider + Gear: 475 + 340 + 50 = 865lbs
Springs Installed: 1.1
Oil Weight: 15wt
Type of Riding: 80% Pavement and 20% off pavement

·
Registered
181 Posts
'04 dl650

180 pounds loaded with gear, solo rider, 100% roads, aggressive rider, sometimes tour with 3 Givi cases.

.90 springs, 15 wt Motul fully synthetic fork oil, Elka triple adjustable rear shock, pure magic!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bike: 650
Wet Weight + Rider + Gear: 450 + 210 + 20
Springs Installed: 1.0
Oil Weight: approx. 12.5wt
Type of Riding: 15% Racing/Hard Twisties, 85% City/Commute Riding

Thinking of switching to 10wt during next service. Still a vast improvement over stock.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Huh?

I tried 15wt with .9kg springs and it was too heavy. I might have gone to 10wt this winter but I went with a rebuild using Traxxion cartridges instead. It's making me itch that it may be months before I can test the new suspension.
You can do that on a 650? How much moolah? I can't wait for the review!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
New cartridges, springs, oil, bushings, seals, shock sock and fork cap adjusters plus labor for the rebuild and return shipping (the only way they do things) was $1395. I gathered they can really handle just about any fork. Each unit is custom made to fit. With an Elka shock added too, there ought to be a big difference. The original cost of the bike is still more than the accessories, but I'm closing the gap. If only I wasn't so happy with the stock exhaust. :mrgreen:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Bike: 650
Wet Weight + Rider + Gear: 450 + 210 + 20
Springs Installed: 1.0
Oil Weight: approx. 12.5wt
Type of Riding: 15% Racing/Hard Twisties, 85% City/Commute Riding

Thinking of switching to 10wt during next service. Still a vast improvement over stock.
This is just like mine, except the 15% would be "alternative surfaces".

Ditto on the 10wt oil.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
.95 springs
12.5 wt oil.

First test ride today. What a difference!!
Much firmer, WAY less dive when hard on the brakes, more planted in corners. Should have done this a long time ago!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Going to 1.0 Sonics with 10 wt. oil. Got the oil today, the springs are on the way.

Sonic says no way would I want heavier than 10 wt for normal riding at my weight of 265# plus gear.

What made some of you guys go to a heavier oil?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts