StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the general consensus of 15wt oil height when installing new Sonic .95 springs for a geared up 205# rider with tank bag?
The springs are on the way so spacer length compared to stock is in question too.
09 650
Thanks

Oh, btw, for anyone who is thinking of cleaning and changing the fork oil, seals, bushings, etc, I found a easy way to drive in the upper bushings with home made tool.
In contact with the washer above the bush, a electrical PVC 1 1/2" coulping that has two table saw kerfs removed lengthwise to lessen diameter, about 1/8" inch, and then stack four uncut more on top and drive easy with a rubber mallet keeping the "stack" compressed from the top with left hand, smooth and square.
Worked nice with fork oil lubed bush/ seal/ and dust cap.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Did you contact Sonic to find out what to use based on all you specs/criteria? I just got my 0.90 installed. When I chatted with them regarding my weight (210, + tank bag), what I carry (use it for commuting and sometimes for going camping), and how I ride (95% asphalt), they said to use 10wt oil.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you contact Sonic to find out what to use based on all you specs/criteria? I just got my 0.90 installed. When I chatted with them regarding my weight (210, + tank bag), what I carry (use it for commuting and sometimes for going camping), and how I ride (95% asphalt), they said to use 10wt oil.
No I didn't call them yet was thinking I would when the springs arrive for their suggestions.
I did use their "tool" to figure what weight spring, I went up and down a bit in bike weight and my weight, it jumped back and forth from .90 to .95 mostly on .95.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The springs will come with instructions including height of the air column.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
The 15w is good if you're riding the Strom like a sport bike. Most people are happier with 10w, it still provide good control and is less harsh on sharp hits.
150mm air gap, use the stock spacer.
As Pat said, the instructions will have all the details.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
What's the general consensus of 15wt oil height when installing new Sonic .95 springs for a geared up 205# rider with tank bag?
FWIW: I recently installed Sonic Springs on two different bikes and in discussions with Sonic, they (he) reassured me of the following numbers for a 200# rider doing 90/10 street/off-road riding...

For a rather light GS500F it was 0.85 kg/mm springs with PJ-1 15w Fork Oil.

And for a rather heavy DL1000K6 it was 0.90kg/mm springs using 10 weight oil.

I set both the bike's preload and oil level according to the included Sonic Springs instructions.

The GS500 saw a great improvement over stock, the DL1000... not so much.
Just saying.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the interest in my project and replies.
Great site.
I guess I should get some 10wt and try that first, as the NH roads are and always have been in rough shape and it's not that big of a deal just to change the oil.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts