StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to order some Sonic springs for my K7 Wee and need some input. Their spring calculator gave me a .85 spring for normal street riding and .95 for aggressive street riding. I weigh 200# with gear, ride almost exclusively solo and on the street, mostly commuting on the slab. Dirt roads, which I like a lot, are as rare as hen's teeth around here, so are rarely a consideration. Right now with OEM components, I'm running 40mm of sag with the preload adjusters at the 2 3/4 position. Forks have been lowered 15mm. Using a Richland Rick fork brace. Have fresh BelRay 10wt. fork oil @150mm from top.
Last weekend I finally got to do some twisty road riding with a friend on an RSV4. The Wee was surprisingly good, but the front end was definitely harsh and needs improvement. If I was doing some dirt roads, I'd probably go with the .85 springs; the .95 springs may be a bit too stiff. Do I split the difference and go with the .90's or ???
BTW, I'm planning on 15wt (Race Tech) oil when I change out the springs. Gold valves will follow when funds are available.
Thanks for the input (especially from Rich D.).:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Assume, 10lbs of boots and riding so a real weight of 190lbs - I was once upon a time at that weight - i was happy using 0.90kg for spirited riding over rather bumpy roads. I am now 205lbs PLUS gear and run one leg on 0.90kg another on 0.95kg

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm 270 with gear (250 out of the shower) and have 0.95 Sonics so it sounds about right. Been very happy with mine. Wouldn't change it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I weigh the same as OP (190) in street clothes and using a spring calculator:

SonicSprings.com

decided on .90 fork springs. Would using a lighter oil than the Bel-Ray 10 wt give more compliance over small bumps?

TIA Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm 210 no gear. I have .85 and like them very much. I do the occasional fire roads and the like. Nothing major, but rutted and washboarded and didn't want them to stiff. Also like them on the street. I personally think if you go to stiff in the front the rear is off more. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I'm ready to order some Sonic springs for my K7 Wee and need some input. Their spring calculator gave me a .85 spring for normal street riding and .95 for aggressive street riding. I weigh 200# with gear, ride almost exclusively solo and on the street, mostly commuting on the slab. Dirt roads, which I like a lot, are as rare as hen's teeth around here, so are rarely a consideration. Right now with OEM components, I'm running 40mm of sag with the preload adjusters at the 2 3/4 position. Forks have been lowered 15mm. Using a Richland Rick fork brace. Have fresh BelRay 10wt. fork oil @150mm from top.
Last weekend I finally got to do some twisty road riding with a friend on an RSV4. The Wee was surprisingly good, but the front end was definitely harsh and needs improvement. If I was doing some dirt roads, I'd probably go with the .85 springs; the .95 springs may be a bit too stiff. Do I split the difference and go with the .90's or ???
BTW, I'm planning on 15wt (Race Tech) oil when I change out the springs. Gold valves will follow when funds are available.
Thanks for the input (especially from Rich D.).:thumbup:
0.90 springs, but stay at 10w oil. 15w is good if you're riding it like a sport bike, no chicken strips and dragging pegs, but is a little much for normal riding.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone, especially Rich. 0.90 springs & 10wt. oil it will be!:yesnod:
Actually, that will make the change-out really simple...:hurray:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Give us an update after you get everything installed and a couple of miles on the bike.

Steve.

·
Registered
231 Posts
.95 springs here 10wt 125 from the top and i'm 90kgs fork brace and steering damper.. 25mm drop thru the clamps and raising/lowering links dropped 20mm at the rear...works well for me off road and tarmac with sports bikes...fun times..tyres are tourances not exps...

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
thought about 18mm is the max u can drop the front by with lower triple clamps coming in contact with top of dust seal on full compression. But if u r running on 0.95kg for your weight and 125mm only airspace, it is probably unlikely u will bottom (well on road anyway).

·
Registered
177 Posts
The .90 is what I got - I'm in your weight range too - and would only consider the .95 spring if you get on rough pavement, etc. or want a little less dive on braking. Otherwise, a good improvement over stock...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sonic spring install & first ride report

Received my.90 Sonic springs last week and installed them over the weekend. Oil is 10wt @ 150mm. Sag set at 39mm with pre-load adjuster showing 3 1/2 lines. I just completed a (slab only) 40 mile round trip ride and my initial impressions follow.

First of all, kudos to Rich Desmond & the staff at Sonic Springs. Excellent and fast service. The installation instructions that came with the springs (specific to the Wee!) were the best I have ever seen. I highly recommend Sonic Springs!:thumbup:

The ride, at least on relatively smooth concrete, is subtly better. The aggressive chop that the front end had previously is noticeably diminished. Brake dive is definitely reduced. I need to put some more miles on it and get some time on some rougher pavement to really get a handle on what the front end is doing now. I suspect that I will have to go to 12.5wt oil or possibly 15wt to smooth out the remaining chop. Do any of you have any idea how much fork oil is needed to get the 150mm setting? Suzuki says 524ml of oil each leg @ a 143mm level. I can pull an exact amount of (the fresh 10wt fork) oil out with my calibrated turkey baster & Ratio Rite to get a 50-50 mix of 10wt & 15wt. I just need some more accurate numbers for my oil level setting.

The improved front end is highlighting the worn OEM shock. I now seem to be experiencing hobby-horsing over the pavement expansion joints. Anyone got a worn DL1000 I can use for a rebuild core? I'd love to get an Elka, but can't afford it right now.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Do any of you have any idea how much fork oil is needed to get the 150mm setting? Suzuki says 524ml of oil each leg @ a 143mm level. I can pull an exact amount of (the fresh 10wt fork) oil out with my calibrated turkey baster & Ratio Rite to get a 50-50 mix of 10wt & 15wt. I just need some more accurate numbers for my oil level setting.
It took me 505ml per fork (measured using the Race Tech graduated cylinder) to fill to 150mm. This was after a complete fork dis-assembly to drill the damper rods. If you're draining and refilling without completely disassembling, I'm guessing it would take you less than 500ml per fork leg to refill to 150mm.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Given the values in the Suzuki shop manual, your numbers sound very reasonable. Making an educated guess for any trapped oil when I drained the forks, 225ml of 15wt should get me reasonably close to 12.5wt.
Thanks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm 200 geared up. Went with .95's and 12.5 oil. Statistically a little stiff, but was aiming for the best ride when bike is fully loaded for touring. Just did 2,400 miles in Baja with about 100 miles of dirt. The suspension far exceeded the rider's skill.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm 200lbs+ geared up. Sonic recommended .90 springs with 15w oil for street/touring. 3 years of great performance so far...

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I find fully loaded riding affect the rear mostly. A firmer rear spring helps. Front spring need not to be firmer. Firmer front spring only helps in hard braking. Just how often to u heavy brake when riding fully loaded? Best set it up for 98 percent of what's going to happen.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm looking at the Sonics, and I got 0.95 for my 220 lbs with gear.

My issue with the wee front is that on slightly rough potholes the front has a harsh clunk sound that makes me feel like the front is too soft for my weight. Do you think I should first just change the fork oil only? And see if that improves it? Or would you recommend I get that 0.95 spring and swap it out while I'm at it?

The rear seems better in my opinion but again it's stock so I might yet not know what a good rear suspension on the wee feels like (my previous ST1100 had a harsh rear)

Looking forward to your expert advice on the springs, thank you! :)

Regards,
Vishnu

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm about 200 geared up & the .90 came in with the right amount of sag. So I'd think .90 or .95 would work. Definitely change the oil. There are many threads around about oil height, weight, & setting sag. You'll need to learn how to do that if you haven't yet.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I'm looking at the Sonics, and I got 0.95 for my 220 lbs with gear. Do you think I should first just change the fork oil only? And see if that improves it? Or would you recommend I get that 0.95 spring and swap it out while I'm at it?
Regards,
Vishnu
Most bikes aren't set-up for us heavyweights. If it wouldn't break the bank I'd do the springs and fork oil at the same time and be done with it, unless your fork oil was recently changed. Just my $.02. Be advised I have a Vee vs. the Wee and generally ride the back roads. :smile2:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts