StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SonicSprings.com

Many of you know that I have been recommended sonic fork springs for years. I installed them in my DL650 and, along with my fork brace, they transformed my little long legged dual sport into a very stable bike that rivaled my expensive sport touring machine.

Sonic springs are not only high quality, but they are much less expensive than the offerings from spring companies that market using large profit margins for middlemen/salesman.

Sonic Springs also has a spring rate calculator on their site that helps you chose the best spring rate for your weight, load, load and riding style.

SonicSprings.com

Tell them richlandrick sent you. What do I get out of it? The satisfaction of knowing my riding buddies are getting the best products for the best price.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
SonicSprings.com

Many of you know that I have been recommended sonic fork springs for years. I installed them in my DL650 and, along with my fork brace, they transformed my little long legged dual sport into a very stable bike that rivaled my expensive sport touring machine.

Sonic springs are not only high quality, but they are much less expensive than the offerings from spring companies that market using large profit margins for middlemen/salesman.

Sonic Springs also has a spring rate calculator on their site that helps you chose the best spring rate for your weight, load, load and riding style.

SonicSprings.com

Tell them richlandrick sent you. What do I get out of it? The satisfaction of knowing my riding buddies are getting the best products for the best price.

Thanks for the plug Rick, we really appreciate it. :)

I still need to order the fork brace from you, in fact I think I'll go do that now. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I recommend Sonic springs to everyone I know. Love my 1.0's and the AdventureTech fork brace. Totally transformed the bike, night and day difference with the fork brace too. My riding buddy said it has increased my cornering speeds by a noticeable amount. He said I'm back to my old FJR cornering levels. I really like tight rough mountain roads now. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Rick,
Thanks for the reminder. I just ordered a set. I've been diverted lately by a less than comfortable seat, but a spring upgrade is at the top of my farkle list and I'm looking forward to doing this one. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
IF you go to their site, they have a simple questionnaire you plug in your weight, etc. and they tell you the correct spring rate.

·
Vendor
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have started carrying progressive suspension shocks, but you just can't beat Sonic fork springs for upgrading your front suspension. They cost less and work great and are available directly from Sonic.

I used them in my 2005 DL650 along with a fork brace and my Wee was transformed from a wiggly legged dual sport into an extremely competent adventure sport touring machine.

SonicSprings.com

Don't be fooled by people selling similar springs with large mark ups. Get yours directly from Rich at Sonic Springs and save.

·
Vendor
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a conversation last night about suspension upgrades to Gen 1 V-Stroms.

My recommendation was Sonic fork springs, Wilbers shock spring on the stock shock, and a fork brace.

You can spend more for fork springs, but all your doing is paying a bigger mark up.

SonicSprings.com

SonicSprings.com

·
Vendor
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

My recommendation was Sonic fork springs, Wilbers shock spring on the stock shock, and a fork brace.

You can spend more for fork springs, but all your doing is paying a bigger mark up.

SonicSprings.com

SonicSprings.com

·
Vendor
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

SonicSprings.com

SonicSprings.com

Tell them richlandrick sent you. What do I get out of it? Just satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Put sonic springs in my forks and was very happy. I forget the guys name at Sonic but he was very helpful and based on your riding style, he will tell what you really need and what you can hold off on, or even not bother with. +1 customer service. Price was right too. Never looked back.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
...you just can't beat Sonic fork springs for upgrading your front suspension. They cost less and work great and are available directly from Sonic.

I used them in my 2005 DL650 along with a fork brace and my Wee was transformed from a wiggly legged dual sport into an extremely competent adventure sport touring machine.

SonicSprings.com

Don't be fooled by people selling similar springs with large mark ups. Get yours directly from Rich at Sonic Springs and save.
Ditto on what Rich says. I installed new Sonic springs this year. I went up from the stock rate to 1.0 springs in the fork. I had previously installed his Fork Brace which had an immediate effect on the fork's stability over rough roads. In addition, I installed Ricor Intimitator valves and replaced all the seals in the fork tubes. I went with 7 wt. fork oil as Ricor recommends and, voila, I have a much higher performing fork that can rival a higher tech, expensive Euro-built bike. Amazing stability at all speeds but especially on high speed curves.

I did this work after I had 39,000 kilometers of use on my 2010 Wee. I wish I had done it sooner.

The old Wee is too soft and loose for every day riding. The original Wee was designed to be 50% off-road and 50% street riding. In fact, most owners rarely used them as dual-sports and most of their use was on pavement. Hence, you need a suspension that is biased towards street riding. And, don't forget to upgrade your front brakes as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a K7 650 and I find the front suspension very jarring over bumps. If the stock size is .75 and Sonic suggests for my weight and gear to go with a .90-.95, wouldn't that make the suspension even stiffer for me?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a K7 650 and I find the front suspension very jarring over bumps. If the stock size is .75 and Sonic suggests for my weight and gear to go with a .90-.95, wouldn't that make the suspension even stiffer for me?
Wow, a 07 Wee is really soft for most folks. Even if I weighed 160 pounds I would go with a stiffer front for pavement, I hate brake dive and that wallowing feeling. The stock springs are progressive and start out soft then increase the spring rate as you compress. Sonic springs are straight weight and hard to compare directly, they are more responsive, less hesitation. If stock is jarring then you definitely don't want a stiffer sonic set up. Stay stock, change to a lighter weight oil, reduce your preload.

Sonic calculates the spring rate too stiff IMO, determine your actual loaded weight, then I would go at least one step softer. Sonic recommends 1.1 springs for me with a sporty feel desired, Cogent recommended something around .85/.90 and I was specifying for a 280 pound rider at the time. Go one or two steps below the Sonic calculator and use a lighter weight oil if you can get some. I just cut 10wt with ATF, works good. Tire cupping is minimal now.

As long as your brake drive is not causing issues, go as light as you want if the tire wears good. Maybe your not stock? I used .85, but I am heavy and couldn't really tell a big difference. I run 1.0 now and an they are not harsh at all with my 258 pounds on board. The rear is where going stiff is really bad, but after putting on my larger 37 liter panniers I really like the 13.8 rear spring, gives me the ability to have a passenger and still ride level with 20/25 pounds in each pannier and a loaded top case. But, its too stiff for dirt roads, gotta back off the preload for dirt and gravel and it still jumps around good unless my luggage is full. I slow down on dirt anyway...

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's not really your fork springs that are making your ride harsh. More likely, it's your fork oil and valving. Your fork is responding sluggishly to the imperfections of the roadway. Sort of hitting the tops of the bumps and not traveling smoothly up and down quickly.

If you haven't changed the oil in your fork in over 40,000 miles then that would be a good place to start. And, don't open up the fork tubes just to change the oil out. Use that opportunity to put in new springs and seals. The valving in the V-Strom fork is fairly primitive and could use some aftermarket upgrades such as Gold Valves or Ricor Intiminators.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for your replies! I had considered that maybe my springs aren't stock. I don't know if the oil has ever been changed so that's what I'll do, plus seals. I may try a lighter oil but it depends on what is in there when I take the forks apart.

Cheers! ?

K7 DL650 Non-ABS

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you haven't changed the oil in your fork in over 40,000 miles then that would be a good place to start. And, don't open up the fork tubes just to change the oil out. Use that opportunity to put in new springs and seals. The valving in the V-Strom fork is fairly primitive and could use some aftermarket upgrades such as Gold Valves or Ricor Intiminators.

Follow-up question: I own an '08 DL650. PO out 1500 miles on her in 7 years, I put 5k over the last 12 months. No sign of leak or anything. Is fork oil more susceptible to breaking down with use, or is time a factor? I.e. should I consider replacing the oil (and seals and springs)?

Also if I want it to handle well on light off-road duty (forest service roads cross-cross Utah) should I go heavier, or lighter, on Sonic Fork's spring size calculator? My svelt 200 pounds, plus tank bag and farkles, puts me at a .95.

Final q: where should I look for an upgrade on the rear spring and how can I figure out which spring to buy?

Thanks everyone! Never been let down by advice here and, as a noob, it's saved me loads of time and frustration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts