StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding today and this happened a few times. It was a hot day, in the high 90s. When I shut my bike off, if the fan was running when I shut it off, the bike would keep running for a couple of seconds after I turned the key to "off", and the lights, as well as the dash lights stayed lit up for that couple of seconds. If the fan wasn't running when i turned it off, this wouldn't happen. Has anyone had this happen? I would search for it, but I have no idea what search terms to use..."bike keeps running after shut down" maybe?

Bob

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I recall reading of a similar complaint a while back, but can't recall the result of the discussion. I personally haven't tried to simulate this type of fault. Since the engine was running at the time of the observation, I guess that a relay or similar was providing the extra power to complete the circuit. I would think that if you had a wiring diagram, you should be able to determine whether a running cooling fan with the ignition was turned off, would power the headlight, etc. If you could reproduce the fault and pull fuses one at a time until the fault goes off. Do note that current would flow to earth via bulbs, relays, etc, if no direct feed can be found.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The fan motor acts like a generator.

The fan motor while spinning produces enough power to keep the motor running for a few seconds, the power stops when the fan stops.

As Gert said you are not the first to report this.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
I would be buying some new relays and replacing old ones. Sounds like one is sticking?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I was riding today and this happened a few times. It was a hot day, in the high 90s. When I shut my bike off, if the fan was running when I shut it off, the bike would keep running for a couple of seconds after I turned the key to "off", and the lights, as well as the dash lights stayed lit up for that couple of seconds. If the fan wasn't running when i turned it off, this wouldn't happen. Has anyone had this happen? I would search for it, but I have no idea what search terms to use..."bike keeps running after shut down" maybe?

Bob
Does the engine shut off immediately and the lights and dash lights stay on until the fan stops turning?

·
Registered
23 Posts
"The fan motor acts like a generator.

The fan motor while spinning produces enough power to keep the motor running for a few seconds, the power stops when the fan stops."

Sorry but the fan is not powerful enough for this to happen.
Generator yes, enough power - nope.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Mine has done this regularly after hot rides for years. Nothing to worry about.

It does seem fan related. Only does it when above 2 bars of heat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the engine shut off immediately and the lights and dash lights stay on until the fan stops turning?
No, I think the engine keeps running for a couple of seconds too. It didn't get as hot today so didn't duplicate it again, but I think that was what happened.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
"The fan motor acts like a generator.

The fan motor while spinning produces enough power to keep the motor running for a few seconds, the power stops when the fan stops."

Sorry but the fan is not powerful enough for this to happen.
Generator yes, enough power - nope.
No I'm sorry your wrong.

If you search this site it has come up many times over the years I have been here I can tell you it is 100% the fan.

A motor is no different to a generator, windings, armatures & brushes.

I remember reading one guy put a drill on his fan to spin it and was able to reproduce the backward power supply and got his dash to light up.

Reactions: Cryoman

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Reactions: Gert and Cryoman

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I joined this place in 2013 so I think the first time I knew of this would have been about early 2014, so the answer was found sometime between 2014 & 2015.

While searching for some old posts I found some back as far as 2011 so it has been going on for many years and the common link was always the fan was running.

We all miss the great GW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts