StromTrooper banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
What I've been hearing for a while is that most modern engines shouldn't really need a break-in period to speak of. They've usually already been run in, including high RPM and loads, at the factory. I basically didn't worry about it all with my last new bike. I did change the oil after 1,000 km or so, and had the throttle bodies rebalanced.

The break-in recommendations in most owners manuals appear to have been written 30 or 40 years ago and have never been updated since, and they're largely the same regardless of the particular engine in question. Keeping below 4000 rpm on a bike with a 14,000 rpm is asinine. With a typical Supersport 600, that constitutes lugging the engine and probably does more harm than good.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts
sadly I have to either depart from my beloved 2008 DL1000, or have to spend tons of money on this money pit.
I should learn from you

I should also look are my unique bartering position as wasting cash income

twice now, I have spent more than my Vee was worth, restoring it to "running" condition, first time was replacing a cancerous wire harness

this second time, it was a rusty fuel tank and seized pump, and still didn't run, replacing more stuff, only to find seized brakes, add new calipers , it runs, and after writing off a couple $K, it's still a POS, shoulda bought a new bike

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I should learn from you

I should also look are my unique bartering position as wasting cash income

twice now, I have spent more than my Vee was worth, restoring it to "running" condition, first time was replacing a cancerous wire harness

this second time, it was a rusty fuel tank and seized pump, and still didn't run, replacing more stuff, only to find seized brakes, add new calipers , it runs, and after writing off a couple $K, it's still a POS, shoulda bought a new bike
Some people love restoring old vehicles, and others just complain. lol

I passed on a free DL650 recently that had been sitting out in the rain for 5 years with a broken ignition (someone hammered a screwdriver into it). I was envisioning removing everything, sanding, painting, then overhaul it all, rusty tank, all fluids and lines plugged, and then getting the bike to run kind of nice after a year and countless $$. Passed on it, so he gave it to a metal scrapper in exchange for a pack of smokes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good to see you, bike was back to me in August , I was taking it easy for before completing the breke in period. now it is a practically head to toe new bike in body of 2008.Lets ride this weekend .:smile2:
ride safe /ride long
Are you going to tell us what was repaired? I read two conflicting things in this thread - it was the countershaft bearing that failed (ball type bearing) and it was the clutch bearing (roller). What failed? What did they repair?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Are you going to tell us what was repaired? I read two conflicting things in this thread - it was the countershaft bearing that failed (ball type bearing) and it was the clutch bearing (roller). What failed? What did they repair?
I donot exactly know what was the initial failure cause , first they told me it is the push rod seal, since there was oildl coming out ,when they ordered theseal and ready to replace it , they found metal scraps behind the seal , and then looked for more damages , it seemed that one of the bearings were esxploded to several pieces, as they needed to split the engine and did it they saw the second gear and 6 and compenets were bad aslo the shaft, and thenthey asked me to replavece other compnents inside the engiune , including the rings , can shaft , chains and more stuff , i belive that I have listed before , but cost me 3500 $ labor and parts.it is a almost new engine but in 2008 or earlier technology , still I like this bike most out of my current 5 bikes.will be my main daily rider.
Ride safe/ride long:smile2:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Some people love restoring old vehicles, and others just complain. lol

I passed on a free DL650 recently that had been sitting out in the rain for 5 years with a broken ignition (someone hammered a screwdriver into it). I was envisioning removing everything, sanding, painting, then overhaul it all, rusty tank, all fluids and lines plugged, and then getting the bike to run kind of nice after a year and countless $$. Passed on it, so he gave it to a metal scrapper in exchange for a pack of smokes.
I'm with you. I totally see the merits in restoring an old R75 or a Vincent or an Aerial Square Four, or even something more recent like a Honda CB750, but the point that you learn a life lesson in the Sunk Cost Fallacy can happen pretty quickly on an clapped out DL650 that's been out in the elements for five years (even when the bike's free). Too many decent used examples out there that can be had for not much more money than a labor of love basket case will cost in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
4,517 Posts
Amen. Somebody here has on his signature line "There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I'm with you. I totally see the merits in restoring an old R75 or a Vincent or an Aerial Square Four, or even something more recent like a Honda CB750, but the point that you learn a life lesson in the Sunk Cost Fallacy can happen pretty quickly on an clapped out DL650 that's been out in the elements for five years (even when the bike's free). Too many decent used examples out there that can be had for not much more money than a labor of love basket case will cost in the long run.
I'm not listening to you. Earmuffs on.

·
Registered
14,235 Posts
I can sympathize, I've scattered a couple transmissions in my beemers. Limped home couple times. Dang inconvenient.
See your Square 4's, a buddy had that happened.
The vagaries of experience.

·
Registered
14,235 Posts
Oh, dear, RC. That can be said of some interesting situations we experience today. The Road to hell is paved with good intentions. That was a phrase a friend used.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Oh, dear, RC. That can be said of some interesting situations we experience today. The Road to hell is paved with good intentions. That was a phrase a friend used.
Good thing I like to keep going beyond the end of the pavement!

I have to say, there is some merit in keeping something alive so long as the cost involved isn't stupid. As long as I'm just contributing labour and only a few bucks (and learning as I go), I kind of enjoy keeping my old steed road worthy. I guess I'm more interested in seeing the thing go to a new owner who will then get into the sport for not much money. I don't want to see the thing go out with a whimper. I've learned a lot working on my Vee.

I get why people do this to vehicles that aren't considered "classics."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good thing I like to keep going beyond the end of the pavement!

I have to say, there is some merit in keeping something alive so long as the cost involved isn't stupid. As long as I'm just contributing labour and only a few bucks (and learning as I go), I kind of enjoy keeping my old steed road worthy. I guess I'm more interested in seeing the thing go to a new owner who will then get into the sport for not much money. I don't want to see the thing go out with a whimper. I've learned a lot working on my Vee.

I get why people do this to vehicles that aren't considered "classics."
great point, and you never know when you might be able to use this knowledge on the road. One time at ~8000 feet my xr650l died on me. After taking the carb off and re-setting the main jet needle, i was on my way! kinda surprised my non-gear head friend,,,

jm

·
Registered
130 Posts
When working on a motorcycle, or any project where you are spending lots of cash, if you enjoy what you are doing, the money spent should be written off as entertainment. I spent 3500 on a new to me motorcycle, but add another 2000$ to that for maintenance and upgrades... $150 for handlebars? $100 for lowering pegs? No its time well spent, tinkering, adjusting, thinking and most of all exercising your brain. Its well worth it.

A movie outing will cost me at least 20 bucks...I would rather not see 5 movies and get lowering pegs!

My dad used to bitch at me for spending money on various hobbies. My mom used to bitch at my dad for sitting there and watching the weather channel all day...but when she would ask him what will the weather be like tomorrow, he said he did not know...he needed hobbies!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts