StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
The problem is that car/truck drivers are not the ones watching these videos, so the carnage still continues. Every time I ride and have a 'nearly' moment I think about hanging up the crash helmet and spending more time with the kids, but then I'll stop doing what I like, because of other's ingorance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
be seen and have a way out

Thanks for the video.

It's possible there's some hi vis gear on the guys on the B&W video but it doesn't look like it.

We're an anomaly and we're small on the road. Drivers often just don't see us.

Wear hi vis gear. Expect the car that's slowing to turn left in front of you. Anticipate an unsafe lane change. Watch the mirrors for cars coming from behind when you're stopped. Always, always have an escape route.

I know all this has been said before, I'm writing mostly to remind myself, and maybe to encourage one or two reader/riders. Our safety is dependent on our vigilance when we ride, but riding is a dangerous obsession regardless.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Use your trigger flasher ...LOTS
Unfortunately lots of cars here flash their high-beams to signal that they are giving way to the other car... It might give them mixed signals.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Thanks Skybound. Although a bit disturbing, motorcycle crash videos are beneficial to show us what commonly happens so we can learn and be more aware. I watch crash videos quite often to keep me from getting complacent and to remind me of what "could " happen. When you ride you take a risk, there's no way around it. Ride as defensively as possible at all times and try to anticipate a possible bad situation. I also say a prayer when I start a ride.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
They missed this one. yes the bike is stuck in the grill of that truck.
The lady was on the phone and hit him from behind.:furious:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Use your trigger flasher ...LOTS
I only have an 8 round magazine for my trigger flasher.
It can't be used that much.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Like Moman I watch a lot of these as well for the same reason. Learn from other peoples mistakes. One thing I've noticed, lots (a very high percentage) of the crashes are the fault of the biker. :confused: Not all, but a lot.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
:confused:
Not counting the photos 7out of 13 were cars turning in front of the bike.
how is that the bikers fault?
Smashed between two cars, stopping to the side of the car in front of you may save you, or not. this practice has saved me two times. one the car behind me hit the car in front of me. The other the car stopped before hitting the car in front of me. Then got mad at me because they thought that they should be the first in line.:confused:
The guard rail crash there is more to that than the video shows.
2 or 3 are cyclist taking chances. They did not crash, close calls
The freeway lane change a light break could of saved that if the rider saw it coming.
The bike that hits the car from behind must of been road rage. there is no break lights on the car.( parking brake applied) you can see the brake light on the bike.

·
Registered
969 Posts
True enough for some of the examples shown. Just saying that when you watch a lot of these videos, dumb moves and speed of the bike is quit often the cause. For example, the full length video of the bike getting pushed into the guard rail shows the speed of the bike for the traffic conditions at the time is the cause. The perspective is from another car in the same traffic which shows the speed of traffic relative to the bikes speed. Crossing a wide busy intersection fast enough to throw you 50 feet in a collision is not smart. It simply does not give you time to react/ avoid if a car does not see you. The simple fact is we all take a risk riding motorcycles because we are smaller and less visible than the cars around us. That doesn't make it the cars fault.

·
Registered
714 Posts
My 15 year old son just got his motorcycle license and he's now on a 250 Ninja. He's been racing motocross for many years and is a great rider but the fact that he's now on the street still scares the shit out of me. I'm 47 and have been riding motorcycles since I was 6 so I can't be a hypocrite and I have come to terms with his decision. But I don't have to like it.

Like I told my son; there is no such thing as a "fender bender" on a motorcycle. A 10 MPH impact will still put you in the hospital. In my 41 years riding I'm fortunate in that I've only had 1 public road accident (had AMA pro license for many years, so those crashes don't count) but it resulted in a life-flight with a broken femur, cracked ribs, and shattered metacarpals on my left hand where the car ran me over. I was off my bikes for 9 months after that but celebrated my return to the saddle with my Alaska ride in 2010.

Again, like I also tell my son, if your riding a motorcycle on public roads, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when, you get in an accident. The odds are simply not in your favor. So yes, what we do is dangerous, but so are a lot of things in life, driving a car included. Just gotta be a defensive rider and wear ATGATT because you don't have bumpers or fenders on a motorcycle.......

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the reminder!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts