StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the MotoGP freeway jacket :http://www.brocktoncycle.com/eshopp...uct_139570.Moto_GP_Freeway_Textile_Motorc.htm last spring. It looks considerably less gay in person, trust me! The reasons I bought it: great fabric, lots of pockets, hip length, lightweight, comfortable armor, and it looks much better in person than the pics on that site.

I still really like it. The fabric is light and soft, yet very strong. The hip length works if I'm in a shirt that I can't tuck in (or no shirt at all, like when I went jet skiing at a party last month and got drenched and rode home without a shirt). Pockets are deep, but they only have 2 snaps on their corners (the fabric flods over for a sealed closure)- I prefere zippered pockets. The overall fit and feel of it is great; the jacket is really comfortable. BUT, here is my problem- the thing rides up when I'm riding the highway. It seems that the wind catches the bottom of it and gradually pushes it up and up and up. It gets to the point where I feel my shirt is around my chest and the jacket is actually exposing my back! I've tightened the side straps all the way, but no luck. I've tried to sit on the jacket's end, but there isn't enough to get a good catch.
So, can anyone lead me to another good hip length jacket with tons of pocket room (and hopefully waterproof) that'll not have this problem? I live in NH and it seems near impossible to find good gear at dealerships.
Thanks

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
First Gear Mesh Tex II for Summer and Spring......and I am a big fan of Leather jackets. I tried allot of different brands of leather moto jackets, and I ultimatley went with a jacket from Wilsons Leathershop. The secret is trying on as many jackets as you can...I don't buy anything online, unless I have seen it in person or tried it on first.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
dmf109 The jacket I ride with is the Joe rocket Meteor 4.0 , I ve had it 5+ yrs. and its been great. good fit. plenty of armor and it has venting everywhere. The sleeve 's have adj. velcro straps @ the wrist & has 5 pockets and a thermal vest . I paid $ 239. in 2000. :shock:
It's on closeout at NewEnough For 99.00 inc. shipping :eek:

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_meteor4_jacket_page.htm
I'm replacing mine due to the wear its had and the breaking down of the velcro . I love this jacket , but it isn't free flow like mesh jackets such as Toms & Bruces are.
Check them out !! They R : a Stromette aproved Vendor & and that's not to be taken lightly :wink:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I wear a JR Metor 3.0 (older version of above mentioned 4.0) that I've had since 2001 and I really love it. It's a great 3.5 season jacket. The only time I wear anything else is in the absolute dog days.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a First Gear Scout II. 11 years and 100,000 miles later it's holding up well.

It's been updated to version IV now. Vanson has a good product as well. I'm leery of textiles and will remain with leather.

I'm considering a Langlitz this year.

·
Registered
268 Posts
dmf109:
I do believe you own a fine jacket. Perhaps matching pants with a zipper in back, meant to attach the pants to the jacket, is the way to go.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Buying a jacket is the same as buying a windscreen. What works for someone else might not work for you.

I have four jackets - a $350.00 Ikon perferated leather. (big mistake, doesn't fit that great, I never wear it, didn't have the guts (intelligence) to return it).

A $500 BMW jacket I bought used from a friend for $200. (A decent jacket worth maybe $150 new, you pay the extra $350 for the BMW logo on it. Lot's of zippers and velcro!)

A Joe Rocket mesh jacket. $120. Nice for the super-hot days (+ 90's), of which we don't get too many of in central PA - so mostly unused.

A $90 (on sale) TourMaster Tech 3/4 length jacket which is the best buy I've made in my life. Wear it all year 'round. Nothing fancy, just a nice, comfortable jacket.

- Tom

·
Registered
74 Posts
That Tourmaster for $90 was an incredible deal. I was pleasantly surprised that it was waterproof and breathable.
I am now wearing a Kilimanjaro (I believe version 2). Another great buy at under $200.
I am committed to waterproof/breathable gear, and I like the waterproofing on the outer layer, not the inner liner. This way, the jacket doesn't get so heavy in a soaker and it dries out faster.
prof

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tourmaster Pivot. Great jacket for Oregon as it has plenty of vents and there are lots of pockets. I particularly like the pocket on the left forearm and another near the main zipper that can be accessed without unzipping the main zipper. A buddy has one of the Tourmasters that strips down to almost entirely mesh. Also, can't beat their prices.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just purchased a Motoport Kevlar Mesh jacket and pants. I'm taking them to Europe on an alps tour with Edelweiss (leaving in three days!!)

When I return I'll give a full report.
E

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
VtSTROM-K5 said:
dmf109 The jacket I ride with is the Joe rocket Meteor 4.0 , I ve had it 5+ yrs. and its been great. good fit. plenty of armor and it has venting everywhere. The sleeve 's have adj. velcro straps @ the wrist & has 5 pockets and a thermal vest . I paid $ 239. in 2000. :shock:
It's on closeout at NewEnough For 99.00 inc. shipping :eek:

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_meteor4_jacket_page.htm
I'm replacing mine due to the wear its had and the breaking down of the velcro . I love this jacket , but it isn't free flow like mesh jackets such as Toms & Bruces are.
Check them out !! They R : a Stromette aproved Vendor & and that's not to be taken lightly :wink:
HUGE +1 for the Meteor 4.0... in fact, it is one of my chosen jackets for my upcoming 10,500mi journey (and I have a closet full to chose from). Also taking my JR Phoenix (hey, I have to get out of AZ's 105+ degrees! :twisted: ).

Whatever jacket you chose may I suggest that the #1 consideration be that it FITS and that you are comfortable in it. In case of a get-off you don't want it sliding around on you nor do you want it sitting in a closet collecting dust b/c you don't feel comfortable wearing it.

Oh, and newenough.com is definitely one of my FIVE STAR vendors.

Stromette

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
STROMETTE said:
Whatever jacket you chose may I suggest that the #1 consideration be that it FITS and that you are comfortable in it.
For sure. Little things count too. My Cortech Air jacket had large sleeve ends and no adjustments there. I had a sleeve pushed back past my elbow and a large area of road rash on the forearm and elbow as a result.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Mine is a First Gear Kililmanjaro 4 - one of few offered in tall sizes. I needed comfort and 3-1/2 season use and it's worked well. vetning and waterproffing are excellent and well worth the $. COmfortable on all but the very hottest days up here - may 4 or 5 all summer. Fleece liner is a bonus for cool weather - early spring and fall and nightime.

Safe riding

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the Tour Master Transition 3/4. It fits me better than the Meteor 4 did. I wasn't wide enough in the chest to fill the Joe Rocket and the shoulder pads were huge!

·
Registered
430 Posts
First Gear Kilimanjaro Mesh jacket. Waterproof unzipping liner. Rode 600 mi a day in 100+ temps on a trip to Glacier in August. Also have the matching mesh pants with unzipping waterproof liner.

Other outfit is an Aerostitch Roadcrafter. Top quality suit, but hot above 85 degrees.

E

·
0 Posts
I also need a jacket. I cant wear my old police leather as the nexk doesnt zip up higher than chest level. I do have one of them there balaclavas but that also doesnt fit tight and low enough..
The METEOR 5 seems to be nice. That seems to be a good jacket down to cooler weather...
Any props to the METEOR 5.0?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts