StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 V-Strom 1K
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I probably need some sort of top box.

I was on the GIVIUSA website and I see that they offer a kit that mounts to the rear rack and it has an arm on each side that mounts down and sorta diagonally. It also has some spacers and such. Extra support ???

And then there are all manner of plates to mount to that mount. Many of them look the same. And then there's Monolock and Monokey. Durrrrrr.

Please be gentle - this is my first attempt at a quick release top box. Before, I just drilled and mounted all of the others - but now I think that a quick detach feature might be nice.

Suggestions ?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
YEs most likely support arms. Topo cases usually sit back past the rear rack to give the pillion room. Since it is cantilevered over tha back of the rack some additional support is a good idea. Think of it like the angled support on folding table legs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had good luck calling and talking to their customer support. I needed an obscure part and they made it available for me; another time I had them give me the part number breakdown for everything I needed to mount luggage on wife's CB500X.

They were very helpful so maybe give them a call. By the way if a part has a K number equivalent to a G number, it is the same part for less money (Kappa brand vs Givi). Givi customer support is the one who told this to me and I saved over $200.

Look at the Kappa cases, sometimes they run excellent sale prices. Tourandride.com is the Givi USA retail site.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
What you want is the Givi SRA3112 or the Kappa KRA3112 for Monokey cases.

The diagonal side supports are essential to a secure top box and the Monokey line has the best options from Givi/Kappa.

This is the setup I have and I would not use anything else other than soft bags.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
The 58 litre top box is stable and the Monokey setup is intuitive and easy to use.

I'm running the KRA3112, which is identical to the SRA3112 for the top case mount.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
636 Posts
I would advise against mounting a top box without the carrier supports. A friend mounted a SW mocheck box on his 16 and the movement of the box on rougher roads broke the Carrier mounting bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I would advise against mounting a top box without the carrier supports. A friend mounted a SW mocheck box on his 16 and the movement of the box on rougher roads broke the Carrier mounting bolts.
Also critical if you're going to ride 2up with a backrest. The one time investment for the SRA/KRA3112 is worth it IMO.

·
Vendor
5,578 Posts
I've done many cross country trips with full luggage and passenger and trunk acting as pillion backrest. No problems at with simple plate style trunk mounts (Givi, Shad, CooCase). The arms extending down are simply not necessary IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I've done many cross country trips with full luggage and passenger and trunk acting as pillion backrest. No problems at with simple plate style trunk mounts (Givi, Shad, CooCase). The arms extending down are simply not necessary IMO.
On a 2017 - 2019 1k?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Don't the newer bikes have a lot of cheezy plastic parts rather than the beefy aluminum rack that the older bikes have?

·
Registered
422 Posts
What you want is the Givi SRA3112 or the Kappa KRA3112 for Monokey cases.

The diagonal side supports are essential to a secure top box and the Monokey line has the best options from Givi/Kappa.

This is the setup I have and I would not use anything else other than soft bags.
The SRAxxxx or KRAxxxx is definitely what you want. But are y'all sure the SRA/KRA3112 fits a 2017-19 1000? I just last night installed the KRA3112 on my 2017 650.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
The SRAxxxx or KRAxxxx is definitely what you want. But are y'all sure the SRA/KRA3112 fits a 2017-19 1000? I just last night installed the KRA3112 on my 2017 650.
The back racks must be the same on the 650/100 in that year. The KRA3112 is what I have on my 2018 1000 and it fits perfectly. Fortnine says it's a "Guaranteed Fit" for my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Don't the newer bikes have a lot of cheezy plastic parts rather than the beefy aluminum rack that the older bikes have?
Correct, I never thought I needed it on my 2015 650. On the 2018 1000, absolutely.

·
Registered
422 Posts
to the OP, for what it's worth, I purchased my KRA3112 and Kappa KGR52 topcase from Motostorm (in Italy). Really good prices, and relatively decent delivery times to the US.

And BTW, you're not alone in your confusion. I'm not sure Givi could make this more confusing, even if they tried.

·
Vendor
5,578 Posts
They newer stock racks are resin instead of aluminum, but still very strong. As I said, based on my experience, they are plenty strong enough for the use. As with anything, a stronger or more complex part can be installed, but I have NEVER EVER heard of one fail. Has anyone else?

·
Registered
2018 V-Strom 1K
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, so I called and spoke to Tech Support at Tour and Ride. They recommended the SR3112 kit and the M7 plate for Monokey cases. It's maybe $35 extra to get the SRA3112 that comes with the aluminum monokey mounting plate, but they said that it doesn't allow for the light kit installation.

??? light kit ?

·
Registered
422 Posts
OK, so I called and spoke to Tech Support at Tour and Ride. They recommended the SR3112 kit and the M7 plate for Monokey cases. It's maybe $35 extra to get the aluminum SRA3112 that comes with the aluminum mounting plate, but they said that it doesn't allow for the light kit installation.

??? light kit ?
I'm not sure about this, but I think they're talking about the optional light kit that can be installed into some Givi top cases. Maybe something like this:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts