StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adventure Tested: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

Reading a review of the ST, came across this bit....

The SuperTen is more off-road capable than the new, $12,699 Suzuki V-Strom 1000, but that bike again has it beat in outright speed and handling and, at just 502lbs (wet) is considerably lighter and more agile than the Yamaha. The SuperTen will do better with a passenger and luggage, but not $3,500 better. If you're carrying passengers and luggage off-road regularly, we'd pay that premium. Otherwise, we'd opt for the slimmer, lighter, faster V-Strom.

·
Registered
209 Posts
wire spoke wheels and shaft drive?
I'd love to read an engineer's report that supported either claim. There is nothing that I've ever read that suggests that an overweight shaft drive offers any advantage over a good chain drive. Then again, a lot of BMW are sold on the idea :jawdrop:

·
Administrator
17,367 Posts

KTM would argue against the shaft drive comment, although spoke wheels I must concur. Hopefully Suzuki does in fact come out with a taller version that has spoked wheels, and a redesign of the exhaust system would make sense as well.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
KTM would argue against the shaft drive comment, although spoke wheels I must concur. Hopefully Suzuki does in fact come out with a taller version that has spoked wheels, and a redesign of the exhaust system would make sense as well.
And that is what got them dropped from my "consideration list". No more lubing and adjusting :thumbdown: for me. Though, for parallel and standard V arrangements there is an extra corner to turn.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would like to know what makes the super ten better off Road
The ST definitely has more suspension travel, and arguably better quality, though the latter is subjective. Not sure about ground clearance.

The ST doesn't have that big header pipe hanging low out front to pick up damage either.

I believe the new ST has more refined fueling too, especially low-end, combined with the friendly power-pulse nature of its engine, which is of particular value when navigating nasty slow terrain. In a few writers' new VStrom reviews I've seen some fueling criticism.

If you pick and choose your reviews, the opposite conclusion could be reached. But by my reading of bunches of reviews the ST is generally better off-road for the reasons mentioned and probably some others I've forgotten. I wouldn't get one because of the high weight though. That would annoy me too much too often.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The spoke wheels I can understand, though I'm am not going to do a lot of serious off road riding on a 500 pound bike. I have a 325 pound KTM for that, which is a porker by modern KTM standards. Also I have never seen a dirt bike with shaft drive and the fueling on my V2 is absolutely flawless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts