StromTrooper banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok, Remember which ones you got? I assume you didn't have to change the cables or brake line?
I got a set here from a bike shop. Any kind will do as long as they are an inch up and back. Ali express should have them and probably $30 to $40 maybe?

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
You can also rotate the bar back just bit and see if that helps.
Given that you're coming from a very different seating position I'd give it some miles before I made much of a change.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I, too, found myself sitting far forward on the seat. Just too long a reach to the bars for my comfort. Rather than move the bars back, as many do, I hacked up the seat to move the seat pocket upward ~2-3" and forward ~4". This reduced my reach to the bars*, allowed me to keep the tank case of my choice, increased my hip angle (a godsend for me), and gave me more space for a pillion rack & case.

* I also previously had installed aftermarket bars (Tusk T-10 ATV Sport Bend) with less sweep / pull-back than the OEM and Adventuretech's footpeg & controls lowering kit (which doesn't sound like much of a change, but made a huge difference in leg comfort for me).

The red dot in the first two pics pic shows roughly where my nuts hit the seat. With the stock seat, I often found myself "climbing" the front curvature of the seat to get even closer to the bars, which was quite uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2014 V-Strom 650
4 Posts
Another thought is just to ride it for at least a few weeks and see if your body gets used to it. I've had a few bikes and they rarely feel 100% comfortable on the first day. But, sure enough, a few hundred miles down the road, it's usually not so bad. I am 5'11" and 195 lb and my '14 650 fits me great all stock.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I actually sold a custom 'tractor seat' style saddle I had made for my vstrom for the primary reason it mashed my knutz. I ultimately landed on a Saddlemen Adventure Track seat, which is very flat across the top from front to rear, which eliminated any feeling of mashed knutz - another benefit is that the Saddlemen sits a bit higher up than the stock seat (and also isn't as squishy as the stocker). I'm also running some cheap steel motocross riser bars - essentially mid rise atv bars which are about as oversized as you'd want to go, but I am not canted over nearly as much as the stock bars, which certainly helps matters. It's a total 'princess and the pea' thing with me, but it took a while to get the 'cock'pit setup right (ha ha)

·
Premium Member
2011 V-Strom 650 and 2018 V-Strom 1000XT
46 Posts
I had a Corbin seat and 1" bar risers on my 650. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs. The seat cupped the keaster just perfect and allowed for all day rides with minimal discomfort. It was very much like an old school tractor seat in that is supported the two hams without notable intrusion on the twig and berries. Regarding the risers, I probably could have afforded a bit more lift, but I got lazy and didn't want to put on new cables. The 1" I got seemed to help the back well enough though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I installed "dirt track" style handlebars with a longer front brake line. These bars were a bit higher and wider than the stock bars. I also used the relocation plates from Adventure Tech for the foot pegs that placed them lower and forward a bit. Replaced the seat with a Sargent. Lowered the rear by 3/4" using Adventure Tech's links. The lowering came first due to my 5'8". The foot pegs, handlebars were next. Seat was last. The control cables, lines had to be rerouted for the handlebars which, essentially did the same thing the risers many are talking about.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks like i have the same bike, and I'm about the same size as you. I didn't like the stock seat at all. I always slid forward and it was really uncomfortable. I installed a Seat Concepts replacement foam and cover, and it's significantly better. However, for rides longer than 2 hours I am looking at adding an air hawk pad. But, everyone's different. It took about 3 months to get the seat concepts last spring, so if you plan to go this route, order early. And i don't recomment the gripper top. I didn't know any better and that's what it defaulted to when i ordered. I hate it. So, i use my SitnFly seat cover over it, and it's ok.

Suzuki (2012-16) DL650 V-Strom *Comfort*

·
Registered
2019 DL650AL9
166 Posts
For long rides comfort a flattish seat that you can move around on is far superior - even if it initially feels quite firm.
This describes the Seat Concepts kit I recently installed. Flattish and more firm - better support. So far, seems like a good improvement over my OEM 2019 seat.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The 013 I bought had a Mayer seat that was ok except during practiced emergency stops my boys would slide into the tank cover. Opted for a Terry M seat which is ok ( NOT an RDL), Ricks foot lowering kits and if you want to experiment mount a set of Heli bars 😏 And I know I'm not the only DL rider to go that route either.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings again fellow Stromers,

I just got the bike titled and registered in my name this morning. I've ridden the bike a few times, maybe 20 miles at a crack. The bike is comfortable but...I am about 5'10", 190lbs and it seems I ride kinda far forward near the tank and most of the weight is on my gonads! So, I was thinking perhaps raising the bars up a bit with extensions might make me ride a bit more upright? I'm guessing here but it seems I lean over too much and I want this bike to be perfect! Any suggestions out there except getting a groin cup? lol
Similar to the other posts I am in the same boat and went with the same solution. I am your height but heavier and I feel leaned forward just enough where I want to be back more. I am coming from a Honda 250L though. My first adjustment was a summer of riding with the Rox Bar back risers. 1 inch up and 1 inch back. No cable adjustments. This summer I am going to with the 2 inch risers and Rox said contact this company about getting a custom break cable. Motorcycle Performance Parts | Custom Motorcycle Access But I am thinking long term that the bike you came from the Road King is what I end up with for 2 up riding as I age. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2019 DL650AL9
166 Posts
Similar to the other posts I am in the same boat and went with the same solution. I am your height but heavier and I feel leaned forward just enough where I want to be back more. I am coming from a Honda 250L though. My first adjustment was a summer of riding with the Rox Bar back risers. 1 inch up and 1 inch back. No cable adjustments. This summer I am going to with the 2 inch risers and Rox said contact this company about getting a custom break cable. Motorcycle Performance Parts | Custom Motorcycle Access But I am thinking long term that the bike you came from the Road King is what I end up with for 2 up riding as I age. Ride Safe.
Here are +2” top brake lines, designed specifically for Strom’s, for the purpose of adding risers or different handlebars. Rick /AdventureTech is a member of this forum and has great products:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I changed my bars to cross bar style dirt bike bars, slightly lower than stock, with much less sweep.
Then put those on up and back risers. This has been a very comfortable position for me. I'm 5'8" 28" inseam and wide shoulders and long arms. I didn't have to monkey with the wires cables and brake hoses.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts