StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i spend so much time in the us and sena's fm tuner is useless. I purchased the Sportster 5, and quickly realized the integrated FM transmitter has been weakened versus older models. Might not help that the sirius FM antenna wire looks so flimsy.

Also, when i plug in the direct audio cable from the unit to my car radio, a lot of channels sound low quality, signal strength is great and the feed doesn't cut, in fact the unit gets its signal very quickly. I thought all channels had hd quality?

I was wondering if you guys had to deal with this issue, and if so, how you resolved it?

I'm thinking about ordering the tss radio bracket for the bike, it looks perfect imo :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
16,231 Posts
I have unlimited data through Verizon, which gives me Apple Music and unlimited radio and downloaded music play.......Sirius and XM "sucks" as I cut that cord long ago.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have unlimited data through Verizon, which gives me Apple Music and unlimited radio and downloaded music play.......Sirius and XM "sucks" as I cut that cord long ago.
No such thing here, unfortunately.
Also, i don't even want to think about roaming charges lol!

·
Super Moderator
16,231 Posts
No such thing here, unfortunately.
Also, i don't even want to think about roaming charges lol!
Bummer....and I have yet to have roaming charges here in the states, I also have much of my downloaded music to my phone "have like 35GB as of now". Hope you find a solution, as I really enjoy my music when I am on the road. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bummer....and I have yet to have roaming charges here in the states, I also have much of my downloaded music to my phone "have like 35GB as of now". Hope you find a solution, as I really enjoy my music when I am on the road. :smile2:
I do have riding playlists, but i get tired of trying to find songs i'd like to listen to that i haven't heard 500 times already... laughs

Plus i missed being able to listen to comedy sketches, i think they removed that channel though, seems they only play full specials now? There's Stern that is sometimes entertaining, and then i have to look at talk radio stations.

I used to listen to BPM all the time, but i think the format changed a bit with the years.

If i can't find an easy solution, i might just order a generic fm transmitter, run a wire to the unit, and hide it under my seat near the battery.

·
Super Moderator
16,231 Posts
I have like 3,000 songs on my phone "and growing", so I am pretty good for now.

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
Also, when i plug in the direct audio cable from the unit to my car radio, a lot of channels sound low quality, signal strength is great and the feed doesn't cut, in fact the unit gets its signal very quickly. I thought all channels had hd quality?

I was wondering if you guys had to deal with this issue, and if so, how you resolved it?
no music in bike but for xm/sirius I use a dephi roady xt with direct audio cable to my truck radio and haven't noticed any sound quality issues. many of my favorite haunts/camps lack cell/data service.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
I have a Sirius radio and listen either direct with the Sirius module in my Zumo or via LTE on my Samsung Galaxy S9+ phone when I have a signal which is most of the time. What I listen too by far the most, however, is Amazon Prime music which I can download to my phone for remote use. I currently have about 500 songs downloaded. I use a Sena SMH10 on the helmets. I always use the ear buds now and the sound quality is excellent. I used the stick on helmet speakers before and that is a definite notch down in quality. No one can tell I am on a motorcycle and they say the sound is loud and clear on the phone with the buds. The Schuberth C3 really makes it quiet. It still sounds great when I raise the screen a notch for a lot of air circulation when it is warm out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sirius always amazes me by having so much bandwidth and so little variety. Sad. It was better before the merger. I suppose it all you want to listen to is mainstream pop, hip-hop or sports, you might be happy with it. I had a free Sirius subscription that came with my car and I never even turned it on.

I like to listen to audiobooks these days and using Libby, the free digital library app, I have downloaded hundreds of hours of audiobooks. I also have Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music and about 60 gigs of my own songs, all on my phone. I listen with earbuds hooked into a Bluetooth receiver-amp I got on Amazon for $20, since Apple did away with the headphone jack. Paired with the right earbuds, it sounds pretty good, actually.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Huh? Sirius is loaded with content IMO.

Sirius has 15 pop channels, 14 rock stations, 6 country, 8 jazz, and on and on but every category of music is covered extensively. Then there is comedy, news, politics, etc...

If you use the phone application, tablet, or online it has listening on Demand so you can pick and choose what you listen too on a given channel. The application or online adds maybe another hundred channels (see page 3). I am shocked by the folks not even aware of On Demand. I listen to it over 95% of the time.

We Blue-tooth it back to our vehicles for On Demand. Even my wife is so used to it she demands it renewed each year. Their rates can be negotiated down by 50% or more easily. (about a $100 per year per sub.)

I listen to On Demand shows every evening.

https://www.siriusxm.com/sxm/pdf/sirius/channelguide.pdf

·
Registered
187 Posts
They don't have very much at all in terms of folk, celtic and world, unless they changed their programming.

BTW, I was an XM subscriber for a number of years.

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
I can't find zydeco or celtic music on sirius and the 60's music channel has way too much talkin' going on instead of music but besides downloaded music (I enjoy prime music as well) I haven't found anything that can replace sirius in the outback where cell/data doesn't exist.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
I show seasoned Sirius subscribers stuff all of the time that have been on for years. Here are a few in a couple of seconds. If you haven't looked at the guide and services in the last five years just assume you have no idea what is on.

Folk music on Sirius
The Village is an SiriusXM channel that specializes in folk music, described by SiriusXM as "from the ballads of early American songwriters to the contemporary masters of folk." It was available on channel 741. It is still available on SiriusXM internet radio.

Celtic music on Sirius XM

XM Green: Radio Ireland (XM channel 200) is a musical tip of the cap to the true sounds of the Emerald Isle, featuring an eclectic mix from every genre of Irish Culture including traditional, celtic and contemporary releases beginning Friday, March 16 and running through Sunday, March 18

Sirius offers some foreign music channels as well like Irish music as an example.

I am no fan of cousin Brucie on the 60's channel. LOL Try Oldies Party on channel 703. My wife listens to 50's, 60's, or country most of the time.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Amazon Prime Music can be downloaded and I listen remotely. I keep at least 500 songs on my phone at any point in time and all have been downloaded to the phone so no service is necessary. A guy I ride with I think has about 4000 songs. lol Between Prime and Sirius there is little I can't find in music, shows, TV channels, and other content. It's just a matter of knowing how to find it and get it when you want it. (i.e. On Demand for Sirius and downloaded for Prime)

Prime Music is a benefit of your Prime Membership, featuring a growing selection of 2 million songs, always ad-free and on-demand.

I can't find zydeco or celtic music on sirius and the 60's music channel has way too much talkin' going on instead of music but besides downloaded music (I enjoy prime music as well) I haven't found anything that can replace sirius in the outback where cell/data doesn't exist.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's more than they had last time I checked. Last time I listened to The Village, it was heavy on Peter, Paul and Mary. Can only listen to Puff, the Magic Dragon so many times. Radio Ireland sounds semi interesting, but I bet it's a lot of St. Paddies Day drinking music. I'll say no more. I actually have friends who love Sirius just because of Howard Stern, but I can't stand the guy.

Still, not very much of interest to me. YMMV,OC.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
We go RVing one week each month and having services like SiriusXM and DISH satellite (We have every channel but at a discount from standard rates) everywhere we go are invaluable. The same on the motorcycles is another big plus. Amazon Prime is also a great supplement for music. I guess retiring from a tech job for 35 years has me hooked on access to everything wherever I go. (there are 4 HDTVs in the RV )

I probably don't need this Samsung Galaxy S9 plus either but it is an outstanding piece of technology IMO. The trick to happiness IMO is knowing how to use them to their fullest and to access everything available. ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I use Pandora...even my daughter said it was outdated. But.....it's interactive & now has an "off-line" mode where it down loads your favorite playlist(Thumbprint) so it can be heard when out of cell signal(80% of the time around here). Anyway, when in cell range or wifi you can "thumbs up"(or down) any song and that is what builds the playlist. Then Pandora throws new music at you based on what you like and you chose what to keep or discard. So in the end I am listening to a ton of "new" music that I would have never found on my own...pretty cool.

For instance, if you are a Southern Rock dude or dudette, make a station on Pandora titled the 'Black Keys', then build a playlist from what Pandora gives you to hear with the 'thumbs'.....That's how I found Hugo, R.L Burnside, Halestorm(I know I know...they have been around for 18 years and I just heard them 2 years ago, yesyes I live under a rock), Supragroup, ...and the list goes on an on...best thing...it's all what I call DRIVIN Music!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Spotify has over 40M songs :surprise: and has been the top a while (along with Apple Music which is below Spotify a little bit) but since Pandora launched Pandora Premium recently they have become closer. None of these replace SiriusXM totally.

SiriusXM is profitable while both Spotify and Apple Music are losing money each year. In fact, Siriusxm is the only financially stable music service on the planet. They can probably thank Howard Stern for a lot of that.

All are now pay services to download for remote listening. I would go Spotify if I wasn't already paying for Amazon Prime. If they raise Amazon Prime up much higher (my annual renewal will be $120 in October) I will drop Amazon Prime and go to Spotify. :wink2:

Spotify vs. Pandora: Which music streaming service is better for you?
https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/spotify-vs-pandora/

Conclusion
Despite having existed for nearly twice as long, Pandora simply can’t keep up with Spotify’s impressive versatility and usability. The recent introduction of Pandora Premium means users can finally listen to a massive collection of specific songs and albums at their pleasure, but Pandora is playing catch-up at this point, and it’s pretty far behind. Spotify has better social features, better apps, and more value for your dollar. If you’re constantly looking to expand your musical horizons, Pandora is absolutely a reasonable investment, but in general, we recommend choosing Spotify.

Overall winner: Spotify (they aren't that close)

How SiriusXM is dominating in the Spotify era

https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/siriusxm-dominating-spotify-era/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts