StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Started taking notice of these bikes just recently - I think one might be just what I am looking for. I do quite a lot of miles on my bikes, my current one has 30,000 miles in 2 years (work, vacations, etc) my wife is a keen passenger and we enjoy camping, so we tend to be carrying some weight. I estimate that the total weight (2 pax + luggage) to be just over 400lbs, my current bike (Yamaha Vstar950) ends up being 1050lbs total.

My guess is that I would be looking at the 1000cc version, any opinions on how it would hold up on a long journey? The Yamaha took us on a 4,500mile trip last year but we just had a fairly major failure and maybe I am pushing its capabilities, would a V-Strom 1000 do better?

I also like the look of it, I think pugnacious is a good description!

Geoff

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I run a darkside tire on my bike because the load rating is over 1300 lbs, with my wife and I and our camping gear I am closing in on 700lbs of weight on the bike, it performed flawlessly for our entire trip, with the exception of a rear wheel bearing that came within 20KM's of lasting the entire trip of 6,000 KM's or so...

I cannot say enough good things about this bike, and I just rolled my 2009 past 100,000 km's last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
400 lb is nothing for these bikes. The 650 or the 1000 will each haul that easily. They are both very reliable machines and are good for traveling. You will likely want to spend some money on wind management (madstad bracket and/or new windshield) and seating comfort.

Nothing against the 1000 but don't count the 650 out. If most of your riding is high speed two up the 1000 is better. For around town and some freeway the 650 is tough to beat.

Edit: if you plan to spend time really high speed (say over 100 mph) look at a true sport tourer. That's the one weakness of the strom. They don't handle well at really high speeds.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
It will be fine

If your dedicated 2 up plus gear you may want to up the springs a little

400 sounds light for all loaded

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys - I went back and reviewed the weight its a little more probably 425lbs, but it sounds like this won't be a problem...

We looked at one today, my wife was a bit taken aback by the difference in height, the Vstar is VERY low, But I am sold on the riding position, I am not as young as I was and the traditional cruiser position (legs slightly forward) is playing havoc with my leg muscles!

My wife also wanted to know about the back rest, but I don't think one is needed/available because of the slightly more forward position?

Thanks again for the rapid response.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My wife also wanted to know about the back rest, but I don't think one is needed/available because of the slightly more forward position?

Thanks again for the rapid response.

Geoff
She will probably still appreciate a backrest... Put a topcase on and problem solved... A topcase doubles as a backrest....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes, it'll hold weight and when you get pulled over for doing 90MPH the officer will forget about the speed when sees how much crap it actually holds.

Dude,

I thought I packed way to much sh!t when traveling on my Vee. You got me beat...

To answer the original poster, I did a 4500 mile trip this summer on my DL1000, lot of freeway and it did fine... One guy here has more than 200K MILES on his V-Stom. I came from the cruiser world too and my ass thanks me on every ride more than 100 miles... One drawback for you wife is she may be used to looking over your head on the cruiser. She won't be able to do that on the Strom...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Dan Vesel offers both a driver & passenger backrest. I have a friend that had one on his Jr DL (650). His GF loved it. Modified it a bit and fit a top box behind the backrest. Now he's sold the DL and made the thing work on his Concours.

My V-Strom Accessories and Motorcycle Memories

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes, it'll hold weight and when you get pulled over for doing 90MPH the officer will forget about the speed when sees how much crap it actually holds.

Impressive pile of stuff but I'm interested in the bags on the crash bars.

What are they?

·
Registered
51 Posts
More go

The DL1000 will give you the needed grunt to climb, carve and pass when needed, if fully loaded. My primary is the 1000 that I also load up and ride long but have ridden the 650. Think you need the 2-pipe bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts