StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is not directly related to v-strom, but I do have the stebel mounted on a v-strom.

Anyway - I installed 2 months ago, seemed to have worked fine. Got it from PWD.
Now I noticed that one tone comes immediately out but the other one only about 1-2 seconds later.
They both don't sound as loud as I remember they were in the beginning.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
One possibility: The body of the compressor is supposed to be mounted vertically +/- 15 degrees.

Another: some of the relays that shipped with these horns were crap. I had two go bad.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks.
But:
1. The stebel is mounted vertically
2. If the relay was bad, wouldn't there be no sound for the first tone? Or perhaps the relay only passes part of the current? I thought a bad relay simply doesn't work and there would be no sound, but I do get sound.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My Stebel is mounted properly and within their specs....however if the outside air temp is below 55 or so degrees it only produces a single note.
When the outside air temp warms up a bit it then makes a dual note....

Weird but true.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for trying to help.
My stebel 2nd horn (upper) has died.

I contacted Gary from PWD and asked for help.
He immediately responded and ask me to test the horn without the air intake tube (he suspected that is the cause of issues).
I took it off the tube but without change. One horn is just not blowing air out, the other is OK.

Gary immediately sent a replacement, no charge. :thumbup:
The horn arrived today, still did not have time to test it.
I wanted to sent the defective unit back but Gary said to just throw it away and enjoy the new one - what can I say?

A-W-E-S-O-M-E service!! That's why I bought from PWD (reading reviews) and I would definitely buy from them again and recommend to others!
Good job PWD! :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
My Stebel is mounted properly and within their specs....however if the outside air temp is below 55 or so degrees it only produces a single note.
When the outside air temp warms up a bit it then makes a dual note....

Weird but true.
Same thing with mine.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Mine is out in the open and worked fine for 2 years until it got completely submerged in a creek crossing. Some WD40 down the throats kept it alive for another year and a half until it finally died and was replaced. Beginning symptoms were similar with only one bellow working periodically.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I spoke with a technician at Wolo Manufacturing regarding the model 419 that I have on my bike. It looks like, and possibly is, the exact same design as the Stebel Nautilus Air Horn.

He said that the problem of the horn failing to sound properly is due to the diaphrams becoming clogged with dirt and debris. The diaphram(s) are under the round plastic discs that fit loosely on each side of the model 419. To clean the diaphrams, pop of each of these discs(I assume you can use your hand) and use an air hose with blower attachment to blow in to the small holes located there. Might want to sound the horn with these plastic caps off while tapping on the side of the horn with a rubber mallet.

The other thing he recommended was to tap on the clogged sound chamber(s) with a rubber mallet while sounding the horn to help break free the dirt and hopefully blow it out of the sound openings. You should actually try this method first before trying the remove the diaphram caps method.

Do not spray any kind of cleaner or lubricant into any part of the horn. It is not needed and may only clog it worse.

If you ride in dirt more often, the 419 will clog more quickly, particularly if it exposed. Amazon.com sells the model 419 and a new motorcyle horn, the model 619, more cheaply than they can be bought on the Wolo website. These horns are said to have been re-designed to deal with this problem, but I don't see much difference in the pictures of the 419. However, the diaphram openings of the 619 are on the side and look much different. The 619 is said to be louder, also. It might be less apt to clog than the 419, but I'm not sure.

Don't bother trying to get a replacement from Wolo if the horn is more than 90 days old. They won't do it.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Mine died in short order, pretty much the same way. You could blow compressed air through it and it would work, but not on its own. I have no need for an unreliable horn so I run Fiamms now. They have held up to the weather/dirt for a hundred thousand or so kilometres of year round riding. Easier to mount, too.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Haven't had any issues with the Stebel from PWD. One thing to note, I didn't put on the intake tube, and I do hit the horn once or twice every ride (have NO idea why, but heard it's good to do for the longevity of the horn).

·
Registered
779 Posts
Stebel Nautilus Horns SUCK - ADVrider

I don't see why PWB's Stebels would be any different from these.
Didn't say they were different. Simply said I haven't had any issues with mine, and it happened to come from PWD (who also makes a great mount for it).

Like anything else, there are times that if a product has some issues, the owners/users will join in a collective rant against it (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it often leads to a fix). I'm in the hard-headed column... prefer to do the research, and then find out for myself. And, what I've learned, is my particular Stebel works... very well.

I've seen similar complaints about vibrating Givi bars, Mastad bracket/screens, and Sargent seats. I have them all... they all work -- for me.

EDIT: I read the ADVrider thread that you referenced. There were a number of complaints about the horn dying, however, there were also a few that posted they had no issues, including a dealer offering that they'd had very few issues with the Stebel. I believe it's just natural that those that have had problems are more prone to mention them than those that just take their properly working gear for granted... As mentioned above, I think it's a good thing to bring up issues, as it often leads to a fix or suggestions (and often mitigates a lot of frustration for other users).

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I love my Stebel - 3 years, no issues whatsoever, and I honk A LOT!!! Love honking that fugger! I bought the mounting kit from PWD, but the horn from somewhere else (Pat Walsh Designs was not selling the horn yet - only the mounting kit)

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
How to fix the Stebel/Wolo When Diaphram(s) are Clogged.

Instructions for correcting this problem cam be found here.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine died in short order, pretty much the same way. You could blow compressed air through it and it would work, but not on its own. I have no need for an unreliable horn so I run Fiamms now. They have held up to the weather/dirt for a hundred thousand or so kilometres of year round riding. Easier to mount, too.
Can you post photos of how you mounted the Fiamms?

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Larolco,
I too would like to see your Fiamms horn setup. Mounting and wiring if possible. Thanks.:yesnod:
I haven't got any photos, but it's simple enough to describe.

Wiring: Since I had previously installed a Stebel, I just used the same relay and split the wires to feed the dual Fiamms (two horns versus one).

Mounting: I mounted each horn to the inside of the front turn signal bolts (up high under the fairing). They're invisible and protected from the weather and still produce a satisfying racket that gets people's attention quick (I ride in the wet a lot, which was probably the death knell for the Stebel).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts