StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I have done some of the popular mods and wanted to offer my opinion now that I have used them for a couple of k-miles...

Oxford Heated Grips (~$75)
like them overall. It's a bit of a pain having to hold the button down for 3 seconds to turn them on/off but they get nice and toasty and I have not had them higher than 50% in 20 degree weather (have hand guards). Would buy again.

OEM hand guards (~$60)
fit well, work well. A must IMO.

Aprilia Mirrors (~$60 for both)
they look really cool. I see a little less of my jacket sleeves but also a little less of everything else. They kind of suffer from their design as the expanded area on the bottom in the center does nothing for what you see just for the looks. The outside edges are too high and too narrow. They optically reduce the picture strongly trying to make up for their smaller size but that does not really work.
What's worse, they really do nothing for the wind noise - for me - maybe a little bit below 60 mph but it's not a dramatic improvement like some people have been reporting here on the list. As always, YMMV, but I would not buy them again.

SW Motech CS (~$150)
excellent stand. The mounting points are in the right place it takes almost no effort to get the bike up (compared to any other bike I ever owned). Great product.

SW Motech GPS holder (~$90)
works OK but I have a 2720 and it wobbles around quite a bit. Have to re-tighten the bolts holding the GPS adapter plate every 200 miles.
Better than the Pat Walsh shelf which is completely overloaded with the big Garmin. Probably OK for a newer flat-screen GPS which is lighter weight. Would not buy again.

Fenda Extenda (~$40)
good product. Works well keeping crud off the engine and protecting the oil filter and cooler from roost. Used the screws and the double sticky (cut the screws off a bit so they don't stick out as far on the inside and are not as sharp (can scratch your skin kind of like the screws in your gutter downspouts).

Eastern Beaver stuff
I have the 3CS and the headlight relay harness and various adapter leads for outlets etc. All his stuff is well made, reasonably priced and shipping is fast. Jim is also very responsive to email inquiries and fun to converse with. Good stuff.

That's all folks - maybe this helps some folks making decisions or maybe it will make it harder to make a decision (sorry).

Frank

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some more (my brain is on it's way out).

Dan Vesel luggage guard and tool tube
worth every penny. Looks good, works good.

Dan Vesel back rest
My wife loves it. Great product, well made, looks nice.

Nelson-Rigg CL850 luggage
not bad for the $. Can stand a shower but rain requires cover. Does not restrict passenger leg room. Holds a ton. Straps fit under the seat.

Iron Rider tail bag
works great behind the back rest. Comes with a number of straps but the two short ones hold it tightly and securely to the luggage rack. Perfect for the Wee.

Superbrace Fork Brace (from Pat Walsh)
fits well, looks good. Noticed increased stability during cross-winds. Bike tracks better in turns but not dramatically so IMO. Wasn't scary before. Would buy again (mostly because of the increased cross-wind stability) but it's a close call.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't believe I bought that much stuff for the Wee already. Where is it all going to end?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I can't believe I bought that much stuff for the Wee already. Where is it all going to end?
It'll end when you fall in love/lust with a different bike and that "gotta have it" side of your brain goes into high gear and takes over ............:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I have a fork brace. I can't remember off hand which one it is, but it is worth every cent in the rough twisties. My Ventura Light Guard has alread saved my head light lens at least once. My electric vest and outlet are number one.

Other mod include: Racks top and side with hard cases, centerstand, windscreen and spacers, engine guards, skid plate, radiator guard, fenda extender, throttle lock, heated grips, hand guards, tank bag, engine and swing arm sliders, plus my protective clothing :confused: and whatever else I may have over looked.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a fork brace. I can't remember off hand which one it is, but it is worth every cent in the rough twisties.
I think the reason many people like the effect of the brace is rooted in what kind of other bikes they have ridden. If one comes from a KLR or similar for example the un-braced Wee is a stability monster in rough twisties. If one comes from a street bike with 17 inch wheels the somewhat unplanted feel of the Wee's front end might feel scary to some people.
I mainly bought it to increase cross-wind stability and it delivers there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1 Walmart ATV seat cover works great on motorcycles

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10727537

I've used these on several bikes including my DL1000, Ducati ST3, Moto Guzzi Breva, R1150RT and DL650. I especially like it here in Arizona where it gets some air "underneath" your rear end instead of the sticky vinyl. It also seems to improve long distance comfort for me ... minimizes hard points. I suppose it might raise you up another 1/2 inch or so as well. Anyway, highly recommended mod for under $20.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I put the Aprilia mirrors on mine, but used extensions which I already bought for the factory mirrors, and can see past my shoulders now. I do think they help a little with wind, not a ton, but some. $60, you paid a little more than I did, mine were less than $20 each. You do have a smaller field of view, but I haven't had any problems not seeing anything. The stock "tractor" mirrors look/work great on my ATV! Cheers--BB

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$60, you paid a little more than I did, mine were less than $20 each. Cheers--BB
They have gone up in price since all the Stromers are out there buying them:headbang:. $30 each was the cheapest I could find (local dealer), on line they are more than that now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts