StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this idea about mounting highway pegs on the lower horizontal bar of my Motech crash bars. They're 7/8" bars I think - haven't seen any pegs that mount to that size. Also haven't seen any with black hardware, though I could probably track down a powdercoater here in Seattle. Dan Vesels would work but I'm not wild about the design. I think something that clamped directly to the bars would be coolest - more compact and subtle.

Anyone ever seen highway pegs that fit 7/8" bars? Or ones with black hardware?

- Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately those are sized for 1" tubing - maybe that's why he's drilling into the crash bars to mount them. I wonder if I could shim them somehow to get them tight.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I ran across these when I was looking for a highway peg solution to put on my Givi bars. I had planned on wrapping a bit of innertube to help cut the vibration. I'm not sure if it that would help to fit the 7/8" Motech bars though.

Still looking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To me the hwy pegs with the 2 "U" clamps that wrap around the engine guard will not get tight enough to hold with out slipping around the bar. I have The Givi engine guard, I bought the 1" clamp from a Harley shop and a just a cheap set of pegs that have 10mm thread works perfect. The Kurykan
clamps are really good clamps and want slip.That powder coated pegs look nice and at $60 thats not bad.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The flat pegs are not as comfortable as the round unless you are just flat footing the peg. If you like to hang your heels or legs on the pegs the round are more forgiving.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Those Rivco pegs from TwistedThrottle just about look perfect but... they do not come with the $31.95 mounting brackets As much as I like them, I'm not about to pay, with shipping to Canada, $171.26 just for a set of foot pegs.
Still looking.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kuryakyn Pegs

You can use any 1" Kuryaykn clamp with a 1/16" X 1" X 4" glass setting block cut to fit. They are a high durometer rubber-like material used for setting heavy glass in an aluminum frame. They don't crush and they wil protect your engine guards from clamp marks. Get them at your local glass shop.
Erik

·
Registered
14 Posts
I work for a dealership go to any Suzuki dealer and ask to see the Tucker/Rocky catalog find the foot peg section look for the 1" pegs mount bracket p/n 669960 $8.99 each, pegs 171250 $7.39. No need to spend all that money for pegs. Kuryakan pegs w/mounts #8030 $89.99 this is there standard ISO pegs. If anyone needs pegs or mounts I can get them and send to you. send me a email [email protected]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those look like the perfect solution. A tad pricey with the clamps, but that's life :D

Now, I don't have the Motech crashbars yet but I will soon, where on the bars do you plan to mount these pegs?
I'm thinking at the forward end of the lower horizontal bar. I can fold them back to store and when they're out they'll be about as low and far out as they can get.

Trying to figure out some way to make sure they're damn tight, and protect the crashbar paint. If I could slip a little inner tube in there that might help grip a bit. If that doesn't work I can run a small screw through the bracket and into the bar, though I'm not wild about putting holes in the bars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I work for a dealership go to any Suzuki dealer and ask to see the Tucker/Rocky catalog find the foot peg section look for the 1" pegs mount bracket p/n 669960 $8.99 each, pegs 171250 $7.39. No need to spend all that money for pegs. Kuryakan pegs w/mounts #8030 $89.99 this is there standard ISO pegs. If anyone needs pegs or mounts I can get them and send to you. send me a email [email protected]
So far all the Kuryakan pegs I've seen have chrome on 'em, which I'm not into. Actually, so have all the Tucker/Rocky's I've seen. I like these ones 'cause they're all black. Anyway, the money's spent, pegs are on the way....

·
Registered
981 Posts
Unfortunately those are sized for 1" tubing - maybe that's why he's drilling into the crash bars to mount them. I wonder if I could shim them somehow to get them tight.
Nope, they are made for 7/8" bars. The drilling was necessary because of the materials used and the mounting position. The paint on the Givi crash bar is slippery, so I drilled a stay bolt to keep it from sliding. You can stand on them if you had to and they fold up nicely.

Chrome to chrome usually grips well, which is what they were designed for. But, after a few months they tarnish real nice and they should be ready to paint black.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I ran across these when I was looking for a highway peg solution to put on my Givi bars. I had planned on wrapping a bit of innertube to help cut the vibration. I'm not sure if it that would help to fit the 7/8" Motech bars though.

Still looking.
For what they do, they're surely worth $20. They only fit in one spot on the Givi bars and it's too high for your feet. I used them on one trip, and while they saved me a lot of knee pain, I rode with the back of my calf resting on the pegs. In this pic you can see where I repainted the bar where they were mounted. http://picasaweb.google.com/bobosmite/FrankensteinHighwayPeg/photo#4996592136408596498

·
Registered
14 Posts
So far all the Kuryakan pegs I've seen have chrome on 'em, which I'm not into. Actually, so have all the Tucker/Rocky's I've seen. I like these ones 'cause they're all black. Anyway, the money's spent, pegs are on the way....
I know the chrome is not for a vsrtom, I only used the chrome mounts. A customer bought a set up passenger floor boards for Vulcan he give me the stock pegs that came off his bike. Just glad to help out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
the clamps work just fine and are the only one's I found in black. They are not cheap at $32 but then again, they are very well made. In terms of the pegs there are any number of pegs you could use with those clamps. I like these because they look like they belong on the bike, are vibration isolated
and broadly adjustable (angle, rotation of treads etc). I average about 15,000 miles a year so when I add things, I'm looking for long term function and durablity. Generally speaking, as with tools, I've found the least expensive one's to buy are usually the most expensive one's own. If you'd like to see what they look like on a wee, go to this thread:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9372

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah - those look great! Can't wait until they show up.

Got in my second real ride today on the new bike - ~ 80 miles. Made good use of the grip heaters and vest plugged into Powerlet (which I installed on the rear passenger footpeg bolt - photo eventually).

Yesterday did around 200 miles.

Best bike EVER.

- Bob

1 - 20 of 28 Posts