StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm test riding a DL650 on Thursday evening with a view to trading in my 600 Bandit against it. I'd appreciate a few facts and figures from real world riders so I can tell if the dealer is trying to s**t me or not.

What average mpg do you guys get?

What is required at the 600 mile service? Are valve clearances to be checked at this time (or is the first valve check at 15k)?

Are tyres significantly cheaper than the rubber I'd be buying for a Bandit?

How does the little V-Strom cope with a passenger? (Combined weight of 330lbs).

I know it's not really an off-road bike, but how capable is it on gravelly lanes/gentle dirt tracks etc? I'd like to be able to go places where my smug friends can't go on their plastic crotch rockets :wink: .

Sorry for so many stupid questions, but can you help me out please?

steVe (prospective DL650 owner)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Welcome

I owned a DL1000 for two seasons, great bike lots of grunt. I'm hoping my blue 650 comes this week. I research the 650 a lot and feel it will work for my 240lbs body. Test rode it twice, once with a 160 lbs passenger and it still had enough power.

DL650's are averaging 44-52MPG

First service: probably oil, filter,chain adjustment, retorque chassy and exhaust bolts. Clutch cable stretch. Valve adjustment for the 1000 was 25,000KM. I would also have the steering head bearings checked.

Tires are an odd size 19" front 17" back may be more expensive then Bandit.

I think this will be an even better logging rode bike then the 1000 because of the lighter weight and nimbleness.

Good luck. I think I will be happy with the 650

Scooter

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I traded my 600 Bandit in on a DL1000 last summer but didn't see any appreciable differerence in mpg or tyre costs. Believe you will gain with the DL650.

I get significantly more distance from the V-Strom and the ride quality is a lot better on longer journeys. I thought I would struggle with filtering with the larger bike (and hand protectors), but it hasn't factored. Two up is a lot more comfortable on the DL1000 (I've taken some pretty sizeable mates out for lunch on the back, not something I would have attempted on the Bandit).

There was a pretty big riding style adjustment to go from the in-line four to the v-twin, but the torque makes up for the "low-speed clutch/throttle" adjustments you need to keep on top of around corners etc.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts