StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Werks clutch basket in this bike over the winter due to clutch chudder and vibrations throughout the rpm range. The old basket had significant wear according to Terry. While the bike is much improved I still find the vibs to be more than expected, and I have checked the throttle body boots and sync'd them using a Morgan carbtune. New spark plugs and also checked the rotor magnets and did the JB Weld bridge as a prevention.

In a previous conversation WildDoctor mentioned adjusting the "motor mount "thrust adjusters"" Is this a real thing and could it be the cause and cure of excessive vibs? I found one post outlining a procedure for this but it was for a 650. My bike has around 35k miles on it.

I don't know any Vee owners near by to compare bikes too, If anyone is on Prince Edward Island and has a DL1000 maybe we could compare bikes,

Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
I put a Werks clutch basket in this bike over the winter due to clutch chudder and vibrations throughout the rpm range. The old basket had significant wear according to Terry. While the bike is much improved I still find the vibs to be more than expected, and I have checked the throttle body boots and sync'd them using a Morgan carbtune. New spark plugs and also checked the rotor magnets and did the JB Weld bridge as a prevention.

In a previous conversation WildDoctor mentioned adjusting the "motor mount "thrust adjusters"" Is this a real thing and could it be the cause and cure of excessive vibs? I found one post outlining a procedure for this but it was for a 650. My bike has around 35k miles on it.

I don't know any Vee owners near by to compare bikes too, If anyone is on Prince Edward Island and has a DL1000 maybe we could compare bikes,

Thanks
Question do you have engine guards on your bike? I had similar experience with my 2003 DL1000 after having Terry mod my clutch. After doing some checking I found one of the engine guards had cracked at one of the weld joints. I had that repaired by welding and it removed a bunch of the vibes.

Keep in mind this is a V-Twin and will always have a little vibe even though it's very smooth for a twin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope no engine guards. have givi trunk and bags but the mounts are all tight, no vibs there. I do expect the v-twin to have some vibration but this seems excessive. I do know someone with a 650, would it have similar vibes to a 1000?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nope no engine guards. have givi trunk and bags but the mounts are all tight, no vibs there. I do expect the v-twin to have some vibration but this seems excessive. I do know someone with a 650, would it have similar vibes to a 1000?
I haven't ridden a 650 but doubt it would have the same type of vibes the 1000 does because of it's smaller displacement. I would think the frequency of the 650's vibes would be higher and as such not as noticible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found some posts about surging issues related to the TPS so last night I checked the TPS and in dealer mode found it in the midrange as expected and but after the bike was warmed up it moved to the top bar at around 3500-4000 rpm. tried to adjust it but couldn't get it to respond right. surprised how much affect the tps sensor had on idle speed . moving it counter clockwise the bar dropped to the lowest point but at no time could I get it to be in the middle at 1200rpm and move up below 3500. Looks like a new TPS may be in order.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Found some posts about surging issues related to the TPS so last night I checked the TPS and in dealer mode found it in the midrange as expected and but after the bike was warmed up it moved to the top bar at around 3500-4000 rpm. tried to adjust it but couldn't get it to respond right. surprised how much affect the tps sensor had on idle speed . moving it counter clockwise the bar dropped to the lowest point but at no time could I get it to be in the middle at 1200rpm and move up below 3500. Looks like a new TPS may be in order.
Not sure if this thread or another, but recently it was said to start adjusting from the top (full clockwise) position and turn it counterclockwise in tiny increments and wait a little bit between movements. Apparently (not done it myself) the response from the tiny adjustment is not instant.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks slovcan, I'm just grasping at straws trying to sort out the vibrations. I'll try the adjustment as you described next time I get a chance. Looks like small adjustments are the key.

My wife retired last fall and the stay at home due to Covid has her painting and redecorating like mad. Currently has me stripping and refinishing a 450 sq ft pine floor.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My wife retired last fall and the stay at home due to Covid has her painting and redecorating like mad. Currently has me stripping
Wow, lucky guy. My wife has never asked me to strip... 😁

·
Registered
649 Posts
Here's a video about adjusting the motor mounts / thrust adjusters (this is something I found; it isn't me):

·
Registered
96 Posts
My K6 1k is a bit rough too, I plan a werks basket next winter but I am waiting on a PCFC now that I expect to smooth it out some.

I put on a 16/43 sprocket set to bring the rpm up a little too, that helped with Hwy cruise being smoother at the 90-110 kph range.
5th was too low and 6th was too chuggy before, now 6th is smoother at those speeds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the video WildDoktor. I'll have a look and see if this is something I want to try.

Dale- I like the word chuggy! That kind of describes what I am getting. I almost never use 6th because we can't ride much more than 110-120km around here and 5th works much smoother at those speeds. The Werks clutch improved the chudder and overall was worth it but I have a long way to go to be happy with this engine. I replaced my front sprocket last year but put the original size in, I'll try a 16 tooth after I get the TPS set.

I was planning on doing the TransLabrador highway this year travelling from PEI through New Brunswick then into Quebec, Labrador, Newfoundland and returning to PEI through Nova Scotia. Don't think its going to happen this year due to Covid but its the primary reason I bought the Vee.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for the video WildDoktor. I'll have a look and see if this is something I want to try.

Dale- I like the word chuggy! That kind of describes what I am getting. I almost never use 6th because we can't ride much more than 110-120km around here and 5th works much smoother at those speeds. The Werks clutch improved the chudder and overall was worth it but I have a long way to go to be happy with this engine. I replaced my front sprocket last year but put the original size in, I'll try a 16 tooth after I get the TPS set.

I was planning on doing the TransLabrador highway this year travelling from PEI through New Brunswick then into Quebec, Labrador, Newfoundland and returning to PEI through Nova Scotia. Don't think its going to happen this year due to Covid but its the primary reason I bought the Vee.
I was looking at that route!! Envy... I am on the far west coast on Vancouver Island so it's really doubtful I will ever get my bike out there to do it :)
I really suggest the 16/43 combo. I will let you know how the Power Commander works out for me. This is the unit I ordered BTW
https://fortnine.ca/en/dynojet-power-commander-fuel-controller-pcfc-fc20017

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking at that route!! Envy... I am on the far west coast on Vancouver Island so it's really doubtful I will ever get my bike out there to do it :)
I really suggest the 16/43 combo. I will let you know how the Power Commander works out for me. This is the unit I ordered BTW
https://fortnine.ca/en/dynojet-power-commander-fuel-controller-pcfc-fc20017
I know what you saying abour Envy. I would like to do the Pacific coast from Vancouver to Southern Cali but the options to get the bike out there are limited and riding out and back make the trip too long.
I would like to hear how you make out with the PC, although I doubt I will put one on this old bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I haven't had much time to spend on the Vee and was riding my FJR more cause the vibrations were getting to me. So a few days ago decided to tackle this again. I had adjusted the TPS a month ago and have it raising at 2000rpm but it didn't help with the vibs. Decided to do the Thrust Adjusters but was a bit skeptical about any chance of improvements. So I loosened all the motor mounts, removed the bolt for the upper thrust adjuster and loosened it and torqued it and its locknut per the service manual, replaced the bolt then did the same to the lower thrust adjuster but had to remove the footrests for this. then torqued all the motor mount bolts per FSM and went for a test ride. Well I can't quite explain it but its a different bike! I can use O/D below 3000rpm when before it was almost unusable at all rpm's. Running at highway speeds I can cruise along in 5 or 6 and except for the rpm the bike feels good. It has the typical V-Twin feel but none of the chugging and bucking that was happening before.

Not sure if my thrust adjusters were too tight or too loose but after setting them to 8ft. lbs all is golden. The only drawback is a bit more buzzy vib in the handlebar but I am adding grip buddies to help this.

Thanks to WildDoktor who suggested this fix, Can't believe the difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts