StromTrooper banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Does Suzuki use solid aluminum round stock in the manufacture of their handlebars?
I doubt it and it wouldn't matter anyway. You aren't going to get any significant convection in a small tube like that.

..Tom

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
JB Weld seems to have done the trick. Ran the Oxfords at 100% for a while this AM, no unwanted movement.

However I find I can run myself out of power. With the jacket liner and Oxfords both going full blast, battery goes into discharge if I hit the brakes. Also, insufficient juice to run the horn, which could be a problem. Might be time for LED retrofit bulbs in the brake lights and turn signals.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
My solution with Tusk T-10 ATV Sport Bend aluminum handlebars: install Oxford heated grips. That's it. They get hotter than I can handle unless it dips down below ~20ºF, and if there is a temperature differential between left and right, I don't notice it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
JB Weld seems to have done the trick. Ran the Oxfords at 100% for a while this AM, no unwanted movement.

However I find I can run myself out of power. With the jacket liner and Oxfords both going full blast, battery goes into discharge if I hit the brakes. Also, insufficient juice to run the horn, which could be a problem. Might be time for LED retrofit bulbs in the brake lights and turn signals.
What year is your bike
I run the oxfords with heated jacket and gloves and aux lights with great results
(Yes I ran the grips with the heated gloves.just to test)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have a 2007, but there's more to the story.

I only noticed a problem at idle - when the stator puts out the least power. Need to test more with the engine going a few thou RPM, as it would be on the move.

Running the Oxfords at 100% is not going to happen a lot. They do take several minutes to warm up fully, but once they do, 70%-80% is plenty.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Happy to say the JB is still holding, a couple of months on. Been using the Oxfords pretty often, including the higher settings.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I'll be honest here, the cheapest easiest answer is to buy steel bars. ~$20 and more than good enough on a DL - which hopefully you aren't expecting to crash half a dozen times every time you ride. It's still the cheapest and least aggravating option even if you already have aluminum bars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't say I've needed the Oxford grips above 40/60% but it has been a mild winter in the UK. Ya'll must be in Yukon or Siberia 😅

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Unfortunately the main issue lately has been my passenger's hands. She doesn't have heated grips back there of course and the cheap "starter" winter gloves we got her are useless below perhaps 55°F. After about 20 minutes of riding her hands are freezing.

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts
Unfortunately the main issue lately has been my passenger's hands. She doesn't have heated grips back there of course and the cheap "starter" winter gloves we got her are useless below perhaps 55°F. After about 20 minutes of riding her hands are freezing.
I have had good luck with Tourmaster Winter Elite II gloves when temps get low, but for cool riding (55°F) I use Cortech Scarab 2.0 Winter gloves. There's also battery powered heated gloves available, both motorcycle and general winter use. No personal experience with them but do see other hockey fans at the rink wearing them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can get USB chargeable hand warmers on Amazon for $25.00. That, with her hands in your jacket pockets works pretty well. The charge is good for about 5 hours and you can charge them with the bike while getting gas. There are also hand warmers fueled with lighter fluid which is safer than you might think but a bare to light. Next issue is her freezing upper thighs and I haven't figured that one out yet.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
We're trying to avoid anything battery powered, and specialized additional equipment in general, for the time being.

On yesterday's ride she wore my heated gloves, and that worked fairly well. They're thick and loaded with Thinsulate, so fairly warm even without being plugged in. Of course, they don't fit her - they're too big. But, they did the job.

Warmth elsewhere has not been an issue. Her overpants are pretty toasty with the thermal liner installed, even though they're nothing special, as overpants go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a pair of "freeze out" glove liners a couple years ago after hitting a mirror while wearing my winter gloves. I wear those under my protective gloves any day below 30F which works great and I still get the protection. Now I have several pairs of winter gloves which I never wear. Those might help with her glove fit in your gloves.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yes, we both have those Seirus Hyperlite gloves I mentioned earlier. They're basically the same thing as those Freeze-Out glove liners.

Mine fit under my "heated" gloves surprisingly well.

We haven't had a chance to see how well they work yet. I doubt the Hyperlites will help much at 30°F or below.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts