StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

I'm planning a solo ride from Vancouver to Calgary and back this summer. It's the first time I will have gone solo. I'm wondering what to bring for emergencies. I have the little tool kit supplied by Suzuki along with a tire repair kit, inflator and duct tape and my cell phone. Is there anything else that I should include?

Thanks
Strompette

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Recently, I've started doing the same thing - making a list of things to take and have on a long, remote trip.

I recommend you replace all the tools in the suzuki stock toolkit with quality tools. That way, should you have to use them, you won't hurt yourself.

I recommend carrying the following at a minimum:

Tire patch kit
Battery-powered compressor
Value stem replacements
J.B. Weld
Flashlight
Rain Gear
Zip ties
Paperclips
tire irons
Chain lube
Grunge brush
WD-40
1-2 Rags

That's about all I carry. Yeah, its quite a bit of stuff, but you will thank yourself later if something happens.

Tige

·
Registered
984 Posts
Trippin'

Hey all:

I'm planning a solo ride from Vancouver to Calgary and back this summer. It's the first time I will have gone solo. I'm wondering what to bring for emergencies. I have the little tool kit supplied by Suzuki along with a tire repair kit, inflator and duct tape and my cell phone. Is there anything else that I should include?

Thanks
Strompette
I always carry a hefty positive attitude and a credit card. You're in North America, not Afganistan for Pete's sake!

·
Registered
51 Posts
A bit of wire can prove useful, spare fuses, and a small bit of duct tape. Love that Highway22X through Longview and the Crowsnest. @ Creston take the lake route to Balfour then Kaso, Nakusp, Kelowna, Merrit, Liloett, Whistler for the most scenic motorcycle type roads. My 2 cents. Cheers

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Put many km's on my Wee on solo trips. All you need is your camera. ;)

I do carry a tire repair kit.

Cheers!

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
+1 for the zip ties!!!! They came in handy for me the last trip!

But paperclips and tire irons??? What for, pray tell???

I cary a roll of 12 ga wire and electrician's tape for electrical repair, but paper clips???

And especially tire irons - with the Strom's tubless tires, if you break the bead you are hooped. No portable compressor will have the volume to seal a broken bead... Or did I miss something????

+1 on the Duct tape - don't leave home without it!

- BCB.

Recently, I've started doing the same thing - making a list of things to take and have on a long, remote trip.

[snip for brevity]

Zip ties

Paperclips
tire irons

Tige

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adding to the tool kit

Tige - Thanks for the info. I have yet to replace a tire and have never thought about valve stems. Although I have attended DSBC's Tire Changing Social, I'm praying that I never have to do this on the side of the road and I won't be carrying a spare tire. With this in mind, what would the tire irons be used for? I'll add JB Weld and Zip Ties. I already carry chain lube no matter where I go. Thanks again for the tips.

JStrom - Oh I did forget to mention that the old credit card will be carried in my hip pocket!! Don't leave home without it!!

BC-Bruce - I will learn from your recent trip to add zip ties to my kit. What size did you ultimately use?

okanagan - Thanks for the advise. I think I will also add a bit of wire and fuses.

I'm not going anywhere really remote but there will be some distances between towns so hopefully the cell phone will work if I have a problem. Must also remember to take water just in case I'm stuck on the side of the road somewhere.

Thanks all for the info. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another quick question - Should I make reservations at motels or just wing it. One one hand I'd like to play it by ear and stop when the mood strikes me. On the other hand, I don't want to have to continue riding because "there was no room at the inn". I'm going in July. What are your experiences?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I don't like making reservations because I never know how far I want to ride in a day until I experience the day. In all my travels, I only had to ride to another town once. The extra miles that day from La Crosse WI to Rochester MN are are very fond memory. It was dark, cold and exhilarating. It's usually only larger cities or college towns that fill up because of conventions, football games and the like.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Must also remember to take water just in case I'm stuck on the side of the road somewhere.
My I strongly suggest that for any rides over 30-50 km that you should pack water anyhow? That's vital in the kind of heat you'll find in the interior. Hell, you should think about a hydrapak. Last time I went up to Duncan in 30+ temps, I drained 2L in about an hour.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
before any trip i put every thing i want too bring in a pile some where in the house, then i remove items one by one, telling myself i dont need them , so when it comes time too go the pile is as small as can be , the less the better , the less you bring , the more fun you will have ,as for the worry of a break down its highly unlikely on a strom ,and if it does happen your karma will take care of you and it will be a true adventure

·
Registered
984 Posts
Reservations?

It's BC in the summertime, bring your tent and camping gear. Lots of places to tent it in BC. I have friends in BC who ride somewhere in the province and ajoining US states every weekend and never stay under a roof. There is no finer experience in the world than motorcycle camping, especially in a locale cosidered by many to be motorcycle Heaven. If you've never done it - Start.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Things to take

+1 on most everything. I'd add couple of things:
-pair or two of latex gloves
-pocket first aid kit with couple of extra aspirin or whatever
-water, water , water
-list of dealers and phone numbers - just in case. PM me and I'll send you and excel spreadsheet with a Western Canada (ontario and west) Suz dealers I got from Suzuki Canada.
Re; Reservations - I usually ride half day or so then make a decision where I want to be that day/night, then call from there. Most times, as Greywolf says, small towns are no problem but larger ones can be - especially in July. Better to find out ahead of time.

Safe Riding

Bob

·
Registered
278 Posts
What's JB weld? and i recommend gorilla tape over duct tape. it's what duct tape used to be like.
mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
What's JB weld? and i recommend gorilla tape over duct tape. it's what duct tape used to be like.
mike
JB weld is a two part epoxy that can be files and sanded. bonds to AL and most other metals. i prefer gaffer tape since it doesn't leave sticky stuff behind

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
For those curious about the paperclips, here's the answer.

There are a couple of "safety" swtiches on the strom that might need to be shorted to allow the bike to start after a drop/crash/etc. One of these is the clutch level switch. If you break the lever at the point where it goes into the housing, it may be that you cannot start the bike as the level isn't engaging the switch. A piece of paperclip will fit in there nicely, allow you to start the bike without pulling the clutch lever.

If you are carring small guage wire, then you don't need the paperclips.

Ask Coop and Graywolf - they know exactly what I'm talking about.

I take the motto - better to be prepared than stuck and out of luck.

Esp. in some of the places I find myself.

Tige

·
Registered
338 Posts
The paper clip and Tire Iron

I like the paper clip, Unlike wire it will hold its shape, is light weight enough that it will burn thru way before your wiring, and if you put a small pcs of electric tape on it you can easily handle it. On top of that it has some other uses like holding multiple pcs of paper together.

As for Tire irons. You can change and patch about any tire on the road with two good tire irons. I agree that the small compressor will not put it back on the rim but some starter fluid will in a pinch. Plus it is a hell of a lot easier to find a good compressor on the road then a pair of quality tire irons. Also make a fair splint for a lot of broken bones in a pinch.

Coop
Man with two paper clips in his tank bag

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, OK - I'm sold on the paperclips. Almost as useful as a hairpin (yes women still use those).

Bob, thanks for reminding me about latex gloves. I use these whenever I'm working on the bike. I hate that oily dirty gritty feeling afterward that just doesn't seem to wash away. Perfect to dirty jobs on the side of the road. Keeps the hands clean for when you have to stick 'em back in your gloves! I already carry a first aid kit with me whenever, wherever I go. I will be pm'ing for the list of dealerships.

I still think I'll pass on the tire irons. If the tire needs more than a plug, it'll be beyond what I'm capable of dealing with. Hence the cell phone and credit card. I'm sure that I'll be able to flag down a passing motorist if the cell phone doesn't work.

Thanks for all the help. My route is Vancouver to Midway or Greenwood the first day, then on to Kimberly or Invermere (maybe even Radium Hot Springs) the next and arriving in Calgary on the 3rd day. I'm not sure of my route back, yet. I was leaning towards the Glacier Highway and down through the Thompson Valley, but I might not have enough time for that.

These routes are definately not remote but their are away from the dreaded Trans Canada.

Sharon

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
If you have a small sleeping bag and tent and water and a few munchies, that makes things really flexible. I wouldn't book ahead. Kind of defeats the purpose of riding, in my opinion. Your route, in BC anyway, is full of great places to commando camp.
As greywolf says, who knows how far you'll feel like riding in a day? Too many variables.

As for breaking down, is that something you plan on doing? On the other hand, even if you're not comfortable patching a tire, someone passing by might be, if you have the tools.

I've stopped to help out a few people with flats (on cars) before, only to find they didn't have a spare, or it was flat too. Probably their jack was seized up as well, but we didn't get that far.

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
BC-Bruce - I will learn from your recent trip to add zip ties to my kit. What size did you ultimately use?
I brought two sizes, one smaller for wiring - type uses and the largest size. It was the larger size I used to help secure the side case after the drop.

I also used a pair of vice grips, and my portable compressor. (The latter to pump up the tires a bit after the off-road sections.)

Not this past time, but my previous spur-of-the-moment vacations I never made reservations anywhere. IT gives you the flexibility to stop where ever the fancy strikes you. (That's how I found out about Three Valley Gap.) The only time that got dodgy was Banff during the height of tourist season.

- BCB.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts