StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good forum for GS500 info. I need info about grips, sprockets, chains etc.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
One of the girls I work with has a GS500; nice machine but nothing like my Vee.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
home town

there is a guy in my town who rides one . he rides wearing one piece raceing leathers and boots that match the bike . its kind of like a hells angel rideing a honda rebel 250

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a gs500 as well as my wee. I love both.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Okay, I got to know why? Better mpg? Lower seat?
I'm not sure if you're asking me, but here goes...

I bought the gs as a learner bike for my daughter. I started to ride it. I am 52 years old and have been riding since I was 14. My life long relationship with motorcycles has been about simplicity and the riding experience (which is different things to different people...I for one don't understand the need for chrome and to dress in leather, but can respect that some do). The GS is the epitome of simplicity. That said I'd never trade my Wee for one.

..so enough naval gazing, let's get on with life.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Another good place is http://thegsresources.com/ great site with lots of useful info
that was my cyber hangout for 3 years while I had my 82 GS 650 G
+1 on this site. The members will help you out with anything. I've had a couple of GS bikes in the past couple of years and have met some wonderful folks as a result. They also have several rallies each year.

Bob

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Okay, I got to know why? Better mpg? Lower seat?
Might have been financial issues. Not polite to ask, he didn't venture why.

Says a lot about this site for a guy who's left the fold to be asking here.

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mysterious.

The main reason I sold the Wee was because I bought it to take trips on and use it as a dual sport tourer. I found that while I know a lot of people who own bikes, nobody ever wanted to take a long trip on a bike. Nobody else had a bike that was set up as well as mine for road trips so they didn't want to take their KLRs or rice rockets or Harleys too far. I don't blame them, but since I never used the bike for what I bought it for, I decided to get something that suited what I actually used a bike for.

I would say 95% of the time I ride a bike it is in town or around town at speeds under 70mph. I almost never take a trip on a highway for any distance.

My wife has a 2005 GS500F and I found I would borrow it for quick trips to the store or whatnot just because it was so easy to throw a leg over and zip around. I sold my 08 Wee for more than I paid for it over a year ago. I put it in Craigslist and I got my asking price so even though I was not really trying to sell it, I did. I never expected to sell it for more than I paid for it at a dealer last year.

After I sold it, I needed a bike. I decided I wanted something small and light and cheap. I was on the lookout for a used SV-650 half fairing for $2000-3000. I expected to find a 2001 or so for $2500 but it never happened. I guess that people hang on to them. Anyway, my brother told me that his neighbor wanted to sell his 1994 GS500E for $1200. It had 17K but I knew it's history because I bought it a few years back for $1500. I then put another $500 into it with a new chain and carb work at a dealer. I sold it to my brother for $1500 and he put new Scorpion tires on it as well as brakes and fixed the front shock. He also did some other repairs like a new clutch cable and other stuff. He then sold it to his neighbor for $1500. His neighbor rode it last summer but more or less ignored it this year and decided to dump it. I didn't really want it so I told my brother I would give him $800. He said the neighbor would take $900. Given that I knew the history and knew there were lots of new parts, I bought it.

I just ordered a 14 tooth front sprocket for it. It is going to be my in town bike so the 14T should give me more punch. I will lose top speed and MPG but probably won't really notice it considering how I ride and where I ride.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just so people know, I loved my Wee and plan on getting another one. I go through a lot of vehicles. In the past 3 years I have gone through 4 bikes, and 7 cars and trucks.

I never wanted for anything with the Wee. It had plenty of power, great MPG, looked good, was comfy, with the Givi cases, it held lots of gear, good traction on street, handled well etc. If anything, it was a little too much bike for what I really used it for. I never desired more bike for one second. I never even topped it out. I went 120mph once but it had lots more than that.

My brother has a ZX-11 Ninja and he wanted me to get a liter bike because he said once I rode one, I would never go back to the smaller bikes, wrong. I have ridden plenty of larger displacement bikes and I was not impressed. The only thing the bigger bikes are good for is highway riding or straight line speed. Neither of those things are much interest to me.

I can and have taken 500-650cc bikes and whipped the tar out of larger bikes in the twistys and where speeds tended to be below 60mph due to road conditions. Sure a Busa would disappear into the horizon if I were racing it on a 10 mile straight road but suddenly the playing field gets level when the corners and bends pop up.

I love a light bike. I love the feeling of being able to throw it around in the corners and feeling like I control it and not the other way around. Some of the bigger bikes make you feel like a passenger and not a rider. I like feedback and being able to dodge a pothole at the last second if needed. A 600lb bike takes away from the experience too much for me. Goldwings are great on the highway but when was the last time you ever saw a guy on one having a good time in town? It is more of a job to get that pig around than fun.

·
Registered
860 Posts
+1 on this site. The members will help you out with anything. I've had a couple of GS bikes in the past couple of years and have met some wonderful folks as a result. They also have several rallies each year.

Bob
+2 on the resources. The first time I made a thread about restoring my bike I had a PM from a member called rapidray that lived close to me, gave me his home phone number and said if I ever had a question to just ring him up. Very cool.

But I think that site is more for the older 70-80's GS'. gstwins would be more appropriate for a '94.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts