StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Ozark, MO and I was going to wait until spring but I don't think I will make it that long.

I'm looking for a 2014. So if you know of a dealership near Southwest Missouri selling a held over '14 for cheap please let me know.

I say 'near' SW Missouri but i have a trailer and will go several hundred miles if the price is right.

I've searched craigslist and cycletrader within a 200 mile radius and I've seen prices (for new) range from 8,999 to 12,999. I'm pretty sure that 8,999 price probably is not a out-the-door price.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Looking for a DL1000? ADV version? If you are looking for assistance, we need more info. New only?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for a DL1000? ADV version? If you are looking for assistance, we need more info. New only?
I'm looking for at least a 2014 DL1000. It doesn't have to be new. I'm torn on the Adventure part. Is that really worth the extra money? I saw a few post that made it seem like the bags, worth not the extra cost.

I thought about the 650 but I'm 250lbs so I just thought the DL1000 would fit me better.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Cooter, I hate to make things more difficult but I am 240lbs and have no power issues with my 650. I was very concerned I would be unhappy and did quite a bit testing, I attached my v-curious thread. Starting on page 6, I test ride several bikes.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-curious/237810-considering-weestrom-6.html

PS, most of test riding was done at 250lbs, I have been working on getting the weight down a little.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Larry's Motor Sports in Jefferson City MO still had a black adv model when I bought mine. No clue if they still have it though.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I'm looking for at least a 2014 DL1000. It doesn't have to be new. I'm torn on the Adventure part. Is that really worth the extra money? I saw a few post that made it seem like the bags, worth not the extra cost.

I thought about the 650 but I'm 250lbs so I just thought the DL1000 would fit me better.
I had the 650 before and I am heavier then you. I did OK on it but I was also looking at spending upwards of 2k on suspension upgrades that I don't need on my new 1000.

Fit wise, the 1000 is not much better, the older 650's actually fit me the best. The 1000 is a lot narrower.

I wouldn't bother with the ADV model, unless you only plan to use it for commuting. IMO the bags are to small for the touring that I like to do (moto camping) but if you stuck to hotels and eating out every meal I am sure you could make do just fine.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Listen dude, get the 1000. You just came off a sport bike like me and believe me the 650 will feel dull. I bought a 2015 DL650XT and I love it, but it's slow. I kept it and bought a 2015 DL1000 non adventure model and put my own stuff on it. The 1000 is better in so many ways and believe me you will be happy you bought the 1000 instead. If you were coming from a cruiser or something other than a sport bike than I'd say the 650 was fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, Thanks for all the replys.

Unfortunately, there is not a Suzuki dealer near me. My local choices are Lebanon, Joplin or down in Rogers, AR. A wide search on craigslist shows many new 2014 DL1000's at $9,000. I think they are 'baiting' ads that don't show Delivery, Assembly, Admin fee, etc. I would rather deal with someone that didn't do this kind of baiting.

I told my wife I was going to wait until Spring but it is going to be in the upper 70s all week and I'm off tomorrow! Not a good combination for my budget :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a used 2012 with hardly any miles on it for $5,500. Actually the person has two identical 2012 DL1000s that he is trying to sell. One with less than a 1,000 miles and the other with less than 3,000 miles. After reading several post, it seems like the 2014, better than the prior models. Is it $3,500 better?

I'm leaving in about an hour to go look at a new 2014.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have not ridden the old 1000, but I did ride the 2014. It is an impressive bike, decided the 650 was the right bike. If you read my ride reviews you will get what I mean.

Whichever you choose, you will be happy. Until you want something else. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I test drove a 2014 DL1000 today.

The riding position reminds me of my GEN1 yamaha FZ1. It was tall and I only have a 30" inseam but after owning a DRZ400, the height really did bother me.

The place I went to today had a demo (the one I rode) and a new one with 'zero' on the odometer. It was a small dealership and I don't think they are going to knock much off. The "out-the-door" price was over 10k. I have found a 2012 DL1000 with low miles for $5,500. So I can take all my money and buy a used one without traction control or buy and new one, put some money down, get a loan and have money for accessories.

2012 DL1000 ---- No Loan, No Warranty, No Traction control

2014 DL1000 ---- Loan, Warranty, Traction Control, that new seat smell

·
Registered
603 Posts
Good luck, this is not a bad decision to make.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Listen dude, get the 1000. You just came off a sport bike like me and believe me the 650 will feel dull. .

You are correct. The DL1000 I rode today even felt a little sluggish compared to my Sports Bike until I got on it leaving a stop sign. If it wasn't for the traction control, the front wheel would have been in the air. The gearing, engine and riding position on that sports bike was meant for one thing, and I need to get away from that before it kills me.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Go with the 2014 1000. I have the 2015 and love it. How did you like your DRZ? I was thinking about trading my DL650 for the DR650 but I like the 650 too much to let it go just yet. I want something I can go off roading with and having a dirt bike or ATV just isn't worth it where I live. I would have to trailer it everywhere and that would probably get old quick. So either a DRZ or a DR for me but I'm leaning toward the DR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How did you like your DRZ?.

I had a 2006 DRZ400, I don't know if the newer ones are any different. The bike was tough! I dropped my GSXR750 at low speed and it cost me hundreds to get it back on the road. I dropped the DRZ so many times I lost count. The bike was really tall and I only have a 30" inseam so when I would get on a ridge or get the tires up on roots, I couldn't touch the ground. I quit fighting it and just started jumping off. I would just pick it up, crank it up and keep riding. I dropped it on the road one time but it didn't seem to make a difference, I picked it up and rode it home.

I had it out on the highway with a 65mph speed limit and I felt like I was getting blown off the road unless I opened it up. The guys on thumper talk swap out the sprokets to make it fit their needs.

Caught one wreck on the gopro but I can't link it because I don't have enough post.

·
Administrator
16,615 Posts
Listen dude, get the 1000. You just came off a sport bike like me and believe me the 650 will feel dull. I bought a 2015 DL650XT and I love it, but it's slow. I kept it and bought a 2015 DL1000 non adventure model and put my own stuff on it. The 1000 is better in so many ways and believe me you will be happy you bought the 1000 instead. If you were coming from a cruiser or something other than a sport bike than I'd say the 650 was fine.
Plenty fast enough to get you a ticket on the way to Ohio. :wink2: I don't get the whole fast thing, although some extra HP and torque is not all bad. I have owned a few bikes that were no slackers in the power and speed department, and I don't miss any of them for one second.You won't keep your 650, it will be gone before end of next Spring. :fineprint:

·
Administrator
16,615 Posts
I cannot recommend a 2012 or earlier 1000, the "personality" and other potential nags will drive you insane and asking a gazillion questions here. Get the Vee2, it is one fine machine and light years ahead of the original. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Plenty fast enough to get you a ticket on the way to Ohio.
I don't get the whole fast thing, although some extra HP and torque is not all bad. I have owned a few bikes that were no slackers in the power and speed department, and I don't miss any of them for one second.You won't keep your 650, it will be gone before end of next Spring.
Yea that and fast enough to keep up with Glen on his GL. If I were coming off a cruiser or something of the sort, I wouldn't have an issue with its speed. It's only slow when you're coming off a superbike is what I'm saying. But it's definitely a great bike in so many ways that the lack of speed doesn't really make a difference. I'm happy I bought the 1000 as well but it will be hard to let the 650 go when the time comes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I test drove the Yamaha FJ-09 today. Small and nimble. Front wheel tried to come off the ground more than once but you can change modes on-the-fly and it keeps it on the ground. Seat was pretty hard. I'm 250lbs , I think I would need to spend money on the suspension to get it right. Basically same price as the 2014 V-Strom I found, if it is still there.

Coming from a sports bike, I'm a little torn. The FJ-09 is most defiantly exciting and would probably be a good transition from the sports bike. The FJ-09 would probably never go the places I've seen people take the V-Strom or be as good on a long trip.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts