StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my 2012 650 after putting on about 15,000 miles since I bought it new. I am leaning towards replacing it with a 2014-2016 DL1000 ABS (not the Adventure version). I prefer to find a low-mileage used one but will also consider new if the deal is okay. I really want/need to stay below $9,000.

What do you think a reasonable offer would be on this leftover 2015? Their "sale" price is $9,600 which seems a bit high to me for a two year old non-Adventure leftover model.

2015 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Motorcycles Fond Du Lac Wisconsin

It's at a shop about a half-hour from where I work. Note that in general I'm a pretty poor negotiator.

I've had several black bikes in the past and would probably prefer a red 2014 but black will still be okay with me.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Price is high for sure, I have seen these new around 8k, but you could make an offer and see what they say.

A fly and ride might work too, lots of deals around, poke around on Cycletrader and you will likely find much better pricing some distance away.

Here is one on ADVrider for sale, it has a lot of add-on's included.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2014-dl-1000-vstrom.1198114/

·
Registered
690 Posts
Can you fly and buy? Last spring Honda East in Toledo had a lot of really great deals on 1 year old stock. They had a $80 prep/admin/doc fee which is reasonable.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I recently sold my 2012 650 after putting on about 15,000 miles since I bought it new. I am leaning towards replacing it with a 2014-2016 DL1000 ABS (not the Adventure version). I prefer to find a low-mileage used one but will also consider new if the deal is okay. I really want/need to stay below $9,000.

What do you think a reasonable offer would be on this leftover 2015? Their "sale" price is $9,600 which seems a bit high to me for a two year old non-Adventure leftover model.

2015 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Motorcycles Fond Du Lac Wisconsin

It's at a shop about a half-hour from where I work. Note that in general I'm a pretty poor negotiator.

I've had several black bikes in the past and would probably prefer a red 2014 but black will still be okay with me.
That's about what I paid for mine. It is not the best price that I have seen, still a great deal for what you get.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I think too high. Check Cycle trader and E-Bay completed auctions to see what a going rate is for a new leftover or used one. I would think about 8k. It's 2 years old now! 2014 new leftover about 7K maybe a little more. Used 2014 form just below 6k and up.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I think around $9K OTD would be a very good price. It just depends how bad they want to get rid of it. If you're going to pay cash, maybe it would help to walk in and lay down a bank check to show you are really serious. You have to be careful comparing advertised prices, as add-on fees can vary from nothing to ridiculous. Also, if the bike is not near you, you have to factor in the expense and inconvenience of getting it home, whatever method that is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think if I can find a leftover 2015 for $9K OTD I'm going to jump on it. Some of the used ones I've come across have 10K miles on them and the asking price for them is not significantly lower than the leftover new ones.

I had my heart set on an FJ-09 but after my fourth test ride on Saturday I just can't convince myself it's the right bike for me. Other than being quick, it's not a good fit.

·
Registered
690 Posts

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
There are a few 2014s Khaki left around here. I got one of the last NEW red 2014s for $7450 OTD in the St. Louis area last November. I just passed 3000 miles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are a few 2014s Khaki left around here. I got one of the last NEW red 2014s for $7450 OTD in the St. Louis area last November. I just passed 3000 miles.
Holy smokes, if I could get anywhere close to your OTD price I'd be all over it. Even a 2014 with 7000 miles at a Wisconsin dealership is listed at $8K. I may need to hire you to negotiate on my behalf. :smile2:

Right now it's pretty slim pickings within a few hundred miles from here. I'm hoping that'll change shortly as people's thoughts turn to spring. I'm hoping to have my bike in my garage and farkled before the next suitable riding day around these parts.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
They may have had to bargain a lot to sell a new one with that trade-in. Who knows. Small to medium sized dealers have less flexibility.

I got my 2013 DL650 Adventure from the same dealer as a NEW leftover for $6950 OTD 18 months before I bought the 2014 DL1000. They are the largest dealer in the Midwest including Chicago (Big Motorsports NW of St. Louis) and sell a ton of bikes. (I guess it is the Romney of the Midwest) They always have a few leftovers and I made it a point to go after them - in person to get a deal. By now you are looking at mainly 2015s.

Ignore any Internet prices. I bought both bikes for roughly $2k under what was listed as leftovers. They are a Harley dealer too but have a different web site for them I think. They even do a hottie calendar every year. lol
http://www.bigstcharlesmotorsports.com/

They are looking for 2018. My neighbors daughter was on 2016's.
http://www.bigstcharlesmotorsports.com/see-more-about-us--calendar-girl-search

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Some of it is the area. I got my brothers buddy a good deal here on a Honda and he rented a trailer and hauled it back north of Chicago.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I paid 9k otd, left over 2014 with 500 miles on it. It was marked for 7k, Florida dealer fees are terrible. At first, I walked away but then they gave me a good rate.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Right now it's pretty slim pickings within a few hundred miles from here. I'm hoping that'll change shortly as people's thoughts turn to spring. I'm hoping to have my bike in my garage and farkled before the next suitable riding day around these parts.
Buy a used one that is already farkled. That's how to get the best deal. Farkles are expensive, but most of that cost is lost on resale. You're correct - not a good time of year to look for used bikes. You'll be seeing a lot more in the spring, especially v-stroms once the new models come out. I myself am contemplating upgrading to the new '18 Vee2 with spokes. If so, someone will most likely get a great deal on my well farkled '14 vee2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts