StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody use a solar/rain seat cover? With summer coming on, and the chance of a 200deg seat or that sudden thunderstorm that gives me a wet butt when i jump on the bike - I am looking for a seat cover.

Something like:

Cycle Shade
Motorcycle Shade — In the summer heat, your seat can reach temperatures over 200 degrees. Protect yourself and your bike with a Motorcycle Shade!

I can make my own, and debating on a short one that would hook over the horn on the front of the seat and stretch to the rear rack. But, I'm digging the cycleshade version and I can stash helmets/tankbags/etc under it. Maybe go from bars to rear rack and drape down covering the whole frappin mess.

This looks bitchin.

Anybody attempt such a creation?

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
When I was commuting to work I used a Laminar KwiKover (kwiKover by Laminar).

It worked ok. I liked how it attached when not in use and how quick it was to deploy and then roll up and secure. The elastic straps did stretch eventually, I just tied a knot in them to shorten, and some of the seams started to unravel. But it did its job for 3 - 4 years. I still have it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Does anybody use a solar/rain seat cover? With summer coming on, and the chance of a 200deg seat or that sudden thunderstorm that gives me a wet butt when i jump on the bike - I am looking for a seat cover.

Something like:

Cycle Shade
Motorcycle Shade — In the summer heat, your seat can reach temperatures over 200 degrees. Protect yourself and your bike with a Motorcycle Shade!

I can make my own, and debating on a short one that would hook over the horn on the front of the seat and stretch to the rear rack. But, I'm digging the cycleshade version and I can stash helmets/tankbags/etc under it. Maybe go from bars to rear rack and drape down covering the whole frappin mess.

This looks bitchin.

Anybody attempt such a creation?
I've been using a Dowco Guardian Traveler half cover. Keeps the sun off and the morning dew when traveling. someone else told me recently about a Nelson Rigg half cover too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
+1 on Laminar KwikCover. I like mine but there is some seepage in rain so you're seat still gets moist. It also pulls up over your windshield to keep the dash cool and covers any GPS or tankbag.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I use a half-cover every day commuting and also when traveling.

At first I was bothered by the time/ nuisance/ effort of having to don and doff the thing and it's bulk when rolled up half-heartedly. Now I can't imagine living without it, and I can deploy it or remove in well under 10 seconds.

Keeping the rain and UV off my spendy aftermarket seat was my primary motivation - my bike sits at least 9 hours/ day during the week at work.
The half-cover (as opposed to seat only) also keeps the UV off your plastics (paint fade), windshield (lensing), grips/hoses/ cables (dry rot). It's worth the extra bulk of a half-cover vs. a seat cover to me. Again, my bike sits out in the weather a LOT. I wouldn't bother if I didn't commute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts