StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was thinking about obtaining decent size 8x10 or so solar panel to mount on my top case to charge my devices while riding on sunny days. Yes I do have power outlet, but that's one device (GPS) I could attach my phone or other items to solar panel. Has anyone try this before? Did it work or was it cumbersome and not a good option. :confused:

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Solar will work part of the time but if you go directly to the battery on your bike it will work 24/7

·
Super Moderator
13,095 Posts
Solar will work part of the time but if you go directly to the battery on your bike it will work 24/7
That is it will work 24/7 in the northern hemisphere above the arctic circle in the summertime.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
More trouble than worth IMHO, you have an outlet already. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
you'd be far far better to install a second charging port and use one of the battery based charges.

Solar is expensive, slow, needs lots of light.

It's great if the bike is sitting for a while in the sunlight not running, but when it's running it's way more efficient at charging then the sun is.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
I am a big fan of the many inexpensive and very effective charging blocks, the one I just got for Christmas can fully charge both my phone and my Sena bluetooth twice before I need to re-charge the block. I just leave it in my tank bag and let it do its thing, or I can even plug my Sena into it for charging while I am using my Sena "with a 6' long USB cable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use something like this if I need to charge a bunch of things.
I have a single outlet that I tuck down in the front plastic that usually has my Sirius radio plugged into it. When I'm on a trip I use this adapter so I can also plug in my Garmin and I still have 2 USB ports to recharge my helmet and Sena SM10. I've left them plugged in overnight and never had a problem discharging the battery on my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I have a charging station inside my top box, I can put all my crap on charge close the lid and walk away with everything securely inside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts