StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sick of overpaying for my tires as I go through 4 a year, so ordering my first online tire and looking to see if I want to start changing my own...looking for someone in Imperial Empire/SD/LA area who has tire changing tools, likes beer or a modest donation to your farkle fund and meeting a fellow strom trooper and wannabe wrench in person. I'd like to give it a go with guidance before investing in the tools. We could even make a little local maintenance day out of it. What I can contribute to the maintenance day: chain breaker/rivet tool, dremel, torque wrenches, nothing else very specific to motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
A friend got one at H.F. last month. I did do all my own with just the hand stuff but last twenty years have not done over five at home.Found two places that will mount and balance for $20 each .You bring wheel and tire in and take old one with you.So far as good as shops been to.

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
I've got a friend in the So Bay area with the changer but taking my tires to the local shop for 25 bucks is about as good. It's close, a mile away and I don't have to feed his beer belly and don't impose. He's an hour each way away too. LA traffic sucks!
I found the guys that sell the little Chinese 250's, CSC, in Irwindale also handle Shinko's, tire of choice, and talked to the owner and he'll work a price of tire and mount balance to be in line with Motor Super store. I like to support local brick and mortar.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was a mom and pop shop I would as well...it's Temecula Motorsports, everything is marked up significantly. Not a mom and pop.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The HF tire changer base is $43 plus the $40 motorcycle tire attachment.

Shinko tires are sold by any shop with an account with Western Power Sports, the wholesaler who imports Shinko.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a nice old heavy duty hand lever type bead breaker. My guess is it was a small shop one way back. Got it a auction around 20 years ago for $25 I think:smile2:? Most the factory yellow paint is gone but works like new and loan it out a lot.Just hauled it back home thursday on the Vstrom rack.It looks like it would be a job but wind goes right through it and could not tell it was on. Before it I just took about a six inch or so 2 by 4 piece and put at edge of wheel and use a bumper jack and never had troubles just so fast with the bead breaker and its good on the tough small wheels like small solid wheels.Modern bumpers not as good as old one doing the bead break. You have to get under a jack place on the cars and that can be too low. Another was is with a big old C-clamp.Got three big ones for $1 each at a yard sale a friend who had just moved had yesterday. All ready have three but good to trade with others on tool swaps. And he even threw in a Juice Harp!:grin2:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I've got the Harbor Freight machine, the bead breaker works fine. I got the balancer too everything works even their wheel weights. I seem to get the tire off with their bar but using tire irons works better to get new tires on. I order tires from Rocky Mountain Atv Mc they come quickly and at a good price. Last rear Shinko was $88.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My dad played one and other music things he had. I have not even put this one in my mouth :grin2:.Tried to play dads way back and just make pain if not done right. Most that never saw one have no idea what they are.:wink2:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I've got the Harbor Freight machine, the bead breaker works fine. I got the balancer too everything works even their wheel weights. I seem to get the tire off with their bar but using tire irons works better to get new tires on. I order tires from Rocky Mountain Atv Mc they come quickly and at a good price. Last rear Shinko was $88.
I've got the Harbor Freight changer. It works much better with the Mojoblocks and Mojolever.

Those double the price of the changer but that's still way cheaper than a Nomar!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts