StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm seriously considering it, but I would like a test ride first. I just want to better understand what "great fun but not thrilling" means?!

·
Administrator
17,504 Posts
I'm seriously considering it, but I would like a test ride first. I just want to better understand what "great fun but not thrilling" means?!
Sure it has something to do with it not have 150 HP like the competition, yet it can still hang right in there with those that do. Funny how the 650 is not even close to any of those in HP, yet would still be the bike many would pick to own. Some of the writers and riders were wanting much more out of the engine and bike as a whole, yet Suzuki IMHO built a bike for the "real world" riders.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Its a good question. If one is cynical towards jounalists it could mean "We don't want to piss Suzuki off and lose their advertising so we have to think of something nice to say."
If you're not cynical it could mean "Its a good solid bike, not exceptional in any one way."
Or it could mean "If you want thrilling buy the KTM you cheap screw."
Typically, the pattern I see with journalists is the best they will ever say about a bike is when it first comes out. About a year or so later when the hubub dies you'll hear them say what they really thought.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
I already have a new 650 and the price of the 1000 is just too close to the competition.

If the power delivery were perfect and there were great financing/rebates, I'd consider one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I will demand a test ride, no test ride, no sale...I don't understand why, in this part of the country anyways, the dealer will take a brand new $25k electra glide right off the showroom floor, tell you to have fun with it , bring it back in an 1hr or so. I go into my local Suzuki dealer and they say "sorry, no test rides" for a motorcycle costing 1/2 as much..I just don't get it....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I should see the new Strom in a mc show this weekend. If the impression left is strong enought, I should test ride it after and then probably make a deal if the dealer agree to buy my Guzzi Norge.

·
Administrator
17,504 Posts
I already have a new 650 and the price of the 1000 is just too close to the competition.

If the power delivery were perfect and there were great financing/rebates, I'd consider one.
Only the GS seems to consistently have darn near perfect fueling and power delivery, the KTM/Tenere/ and Ducati are very rough around the edges. The new 1000 will be smoother than the others in many ways, and how can you say the 650 Strom has perfect fueling? Now if you are talking power delivery, have you ever ridden even a current 1000 Strom? They deliver the power rather briskly and not abrupt or harsh at all, and I love how it lays that power down. This revised engine is allot more different than the current, and the gearing has also been changed. The price point for the adventure model is fantastic for what all you are getting, I just cannot understand why some feel it is overpriced for what you are getting? :confused:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I will demand a test ride, no test ride, no sale...I don't understand why, in this part of the country anyways, the dealer will take a brand new $25k electra glide right off the showroom floor, tell you to have fun with it , bring it back in an 1hr or so. I go into my local Suzuki dealer and they say "sorry, no test rides" for a motorcycle costing 1/2 as much..I just don't get it....
Likely company philosophy. Some companies like HD and BMW want their dealers to provide test rides and probably assist in some way financially to provide them.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Just waiting for Suzuki Australia to post the price and release date. :headbang:

Won't be getting one straight away though, the plan was to always keep the 650 for two years and then move on.

Plus I want to make sure that the Givi parts are fully available, as well as a Yoshimura or Akra pipe, before getting the bike :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I am considering one.

I have my '09 Wee just about perfect for my use so a ride will be the only thing to convince me to drop the cash and the additional farkels.

I went with a buddy to Pro Calibur motorsports in Vancouver Washington, about 20 miles from me. he was convinced a new DRZ400 was in his future but wanted to ride a few dual sports to decide on a 250, 400 or 650. NOPE! they wouldn't let him start up the bike without a signed purchase agreement, there available financing was to steep for his credit rating so we ended up leaving after 3 hours without ever starting a bike other than the ones we rode in on.

On the other hand the Dude at the Ducati dealer has been trying to put me on a Multistrada for about a year now. he recognises me when I roll in to drool and askes if I'm ready to take one out yet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Khaki is being brought in for the demo model around here.
Once I get a leg over and a test ride in March, I will be able to see what all the fuss is about.
In the next few months there also should be more reports, so I will have more info to go on before pulling the trigger.
Hopefully soon, the aftermarket goodies will start to be offered by some of the vendors in order to get a feel for the cost of farkling the new V(14).

Ray B.

·
Registered
87 Posts
07 Wee is not up for sale BUT abs, traction control, a little more power, better electronics, for an old guy was too much to resist. Deposit made in November--delivery next month (??). Bought it without seeing it--not something I had ever done before--but sat on it at the Edmonton show in mid January and am very happy with my decision--I also looked at the Tenere, FJR, and Honda st1300. The Wee may stick around--too early to know!!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
nope never buy the first model year. That and I just bought my 650 (used 2005) in the fall.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine arrives in March!

No money down but Lynchburg Honda Suzuki says first red one in is mine. Of course I've purchased several bikes from them before so no problem here. Will add Suzuki side cases, under cowling, center stand and Givi 47 liter top box for starters. Talked with area rep several times and at DC show he said he would be coming through Lynchburg with the bike sometime early February. I will get to see start etc. but he is not committed to allowing me to ride it. Looking forward to taking possession sometime in March! Need to sell my Triumph Tiger 1050.......2010 model with about 18K if anyone knows someone blaaa blaaa..........

FastLane

·
Registered
159 Posts
Based on the plentiful information available at the time, I placed a Deposit in October 2013 on first available Black 2014 Adventure Model VEE2/DL1000, with my local dealer. After that, I got to sit on the VEE2, at the Atlanta motorcycle Expo. Confirmed what I suspected. Perfect. For Me.

BTW, I bought my Black 2004 DL650 (first one available @ dealer), without a test drive. Somehow, after sitting on it, I knew I would like it and the 2003 Gold Wing would not get ridden much any more. I did like it and bought it -zero issues. Best bike I'd ever owned, at that point. Gold Wing gone. Fall of 2011, put a Deposit on the first Fox Orange 2012 DL650 to come in. No test drive necessary. Took delivery in January 2012. Best bike I've ever owned, to this point. Today, I saw the guy who has been putting excessive miles on my 2004 V-Strom. He loves it, too. I asked him if he wanted my 2012 DL650 - his eyes lit up. He said, "I shouldn't have any trouble selling the 2004 -I may just buy your 2012 Model" !! I have others interested in the 2012 DL650 as well. So... March, April, May, whenever - my V-Strom Adventure will continue...with a larger engine & hardly any more weight. :mrgreen:

Also, BTW: I've recently had a new BMW GS Waterhead Demo for a whole weekend. Nice enough, but not enough to make me part with the cash. Over the last several years I've experienced the same story after test rides on the 2013 Ducati MultiStrada, Triumph 800, several "visually appealing" Harley's (that in the end were ONLY visually appealing to me). These were bikes that I thought I wanted until I test rode them.

I guess I could just say the V-Strom concept and motorcycle suits me and it seems to like me, too. I think I'll just stay with what has worked so well for me, since 2004.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts