StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere on another forum that no one was likely to do an iron butt on a Vstrom. I dont know if its the piss and vinegar in me, but it almost seemed like a challenge. So, now I have the idea of doing this challenge wee-style. I want hear how many of you have done it. It seems like of all the forums, this site has some of the highest mileage guys. I have a Russell day long seat that needs to be put to the test.......:mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I read somewhere on another forum that no one was likely to do an iron butt on a Vstrom.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet...Lot's of people do long distance riding on the 'Strom. I put 4000 miles on mine last week.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
After my long ride today I'm confident that I could do very well on the Iron Butt.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't believe everything you read on the internet...Lot's of people do long distance riding on the 'Strom. I put 4000 miles on mine last week.
I never said I believed it :furious:. Just feeling challenged at the moment. strategizing....:beatnik: I need to get al of my farkles on once it all arrrives and then I will be in the position to do my own iron butt.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Iron Butt VeeSTrom Style

MOnkeyMan,

I have a proposition for you!!! Some weekend when we are both available, we can both start an SS1000 you at Folsum or Auburn, CA and me in Seattle. We can have the turn around point Boise, ID and arrange to meet there at XXX time!!!

This is just a thought!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
MOnkeyMan,

I have a proposition for you!!! Some weekend when we are both available, we can both start an SS1000 you at Folsum or Auburn, CA and me in Seattle. We can have the turn around point Boise, ID and arrange to meet there at XXX time!!!

This is just a thought!!
This sounds like an excellent idea. I am game for that. Whats better than an iron butt? an iron butt with a real destination point. I am probably about a month away from doing something like this. I am about to overhaul the entire suspension, add a GPS, XM radio, a madstad bracket, and mirror extenders. Not to mention I may need to send my russell back for a modification. PM me if you cna with any more details you might be thinking of.

Edit: i just did the google maps and a round trip to boise and back is over 1200 miles and 22.5 hours of nonstop riding. If we met and had a late lunch, it might be cutting it close to make it in 24 hours with any gas and bathroom breaks.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Attempted a 1500 in 36 hour 2 weeks ago.
I would of had no problems if the wind had not been so bad that I got blown over outside of Flagstaff AZ, and layed the bike down in the median.
I-40 was shutdown not long after my lay down due to wind.:yikes:
We had 7 bikes in this run of which several were not the norm.
1 KTM Adventure, which the seat is like a 2x4, 1 1978 Honda 750 that was a basket case for 19 years and had just gotten running again at midnight, and we left at 4am.
And 2 BMW 1200 GS's and 2 Buell Ully's
Unfortunately that 17 year old kid had a cam shaft bust 800 miles in:headbang:but gave it a hell of a try.:hurray:
A vstrom can do just about anything you want it too do so dont listen to what others say.
So give it a run and prove those people wrong
I will be making another run at it soon as the swelling in my hip is gone and I can sit in the seat more than 10 miles:mrgreen:
Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did both of my 1000 mile Iron Butt rides on the Wee. Plan to ride the NSR rally in a few weeks. The rally will be 1500 or so miles in 36 hours not counting travel to and from the starting point. It may not be the best bike to do long distance riding, but it is far from the worst.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Today's Highly-Specialized-Niche-Marketing has totally brainwashed John Q. Public. Back when I started riding, you basically had three kinds of bikes. 1) Harley-Davidson; 2) Assorted Dirt-Bikes; 3) Assorted Universal Street Bikes. If you wanted to "tour", you put the Vetter stuff on whatever you happened to own at the moment and you "toured". If you wanted to be "Ricky Road Racer", you took whatever you happened to own at the moment and slapped rear controls and flat bars on that sucker and you went for it. Being in the Air Force for as long as I have has given me opportunity to live in A LOT of different places where I've personally known people to whom doing the unlikely is the norm. I've know people to "tour" on their Hyabusa. I've known people to take their UJM to track days to rip-snort arount the circuit. I've known people to take their Honda Rebel to local "Run What You Brung" bracket racing nights at the short-quarter track. Why? Because it happened to be the only bike they had at the moment. M V-Strom is a touring bike, a sport bike, a track bike, and a cruiser. Why? Because it happens to be what I own at the moment and it HAS to be. :yesnod:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have done 2 of them actually. My last one was Lynnwood, WA to downtown LA. 1300 miles or so in 20.5 hours with no sleep.

The bike was awesome, and I don't really know why some people are knocking it for long distance rides. When I had my old Road King I couldn't ride more than 3-4 hours straight before having to stop to stretch my back.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I did a SS1000 last year on mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just finished one. Have but to submit paperwork. Left last thursday Rode southern indiana-south east tennessee-cherhalla skyway-west virginia-cherhalla skyway-tennessee-west virginia. Did the SS1000 yesterday. Headed back to indiana tommorrow.

Bike rides great. Averaged 5000-6500 RPM. My bike as 25,000+. Issues? Some kinda clunking, knocking sound at very low speed and low RPM. I noticed it when I got gas, clunking at takeoff. Goes away at riding speed. Last time that happened changed the oil and it went away. This time I changed the oil and after 350 miles of 55-75mph, the clunking is still there. Perhaps if I run in-town speeds the engine/gears/whatever will settle down. I noticed that my throttle/clutch seemed to respond differently after the long run. I rode from 5AM until 2AM the next day.

The ride - AWESOME !!!!

Wee is my first bike and I made a great choice. Soon as I get back home to Indiana, I think I'll go for a ride.

R

·
0 Posts
Did two SS1000 three days apart back in Aug of last year, havent submitted the paper work, have not decided if I need to be validated or not. Anyway could have went more done both of them in 18 hrs and some change. One during the day and the other one at night. Just make sure you have a throttle lock or cruise control and a aftermarket seat with good drawers on your bum and you will be just fine.

RR

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did a SS1000 last fall on the front end of a 5000 mile trip that took 16 days with the gel seat and Madstad. Plenty folks have done it. One problem I had was getting stuck behind a semi that took about ten miles to pass another semi. Absolutely got ROCKED! Other than the ensuing vertigo/motion sickness that lasted two weeks after returning home it was a great trip.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts