StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I engage my throttle lock and take both hands off of the bar (to change jackets, face shields...you know...the usual) my bike almost immediately goes left.

I correct it with a bit of counter steering, but it immediately drifts left again.

Is this due to the way I am sitting? Alignment?

Any input is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
It may sound odd, and I'm not trying to be silly, but are you sure you're sitting squarely on the seat? Surprisingly enough, I have been riding down the road and realize I'm not exactly even on the seat - not like hanging off, but not even either. It might have something to do with the width of the seat vs my butt bones... not sure really. Just know that it happens with me.

How about the gradient of the road (for drainage), is that a possible factor? Does it happen on any road, regardless of where you are?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Road

Some roads have more crown in it than others and can cause this to happen. Hey that what he said in different words, lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Some roads have more crown in it than others and can cause this to happen. Hey that what he said in different words, lol.
Roadways usually slant to the right...no??

Check the wear on your front tire. Is it wearing more on one side or the other. Also sitting squarely on the seat will make a difference as will having an unbalanced load (ie. more weight in one pannier than the other), albeit a small affect.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Roadways usually slant to the right...no??
Which is what makes the bike pull left (just like when you lean into a left turn); the smaller circumference on the shoulder of the tire keeps pulling you in that direction.

Or something like that. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Which is what makes the bike pull left (just like when you lean into a left turn); the smaller circumference on the shoulder of the tire keeps pulling you in that direction.

Or something like that. :mrgreen:
.......pretty sure it doesn't work like that...I could be wrong........

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Mine does the same thing but it's not really a problem. I experimented with the rear wheel alignment adjusting it drastically in both directions but I couldn't correct it that way so I aligned it straight and let it go. A new rear tire did help some but a new front tire seemed to make it a tad worse. Both tires I've had on the front cupped, I wonder if there's a connection.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My tires are relatively new, and it happens all the time regardless if I am on the interstate or a backroad.

I might be sitting oddly; I recently got a "burn" on my bum from many hours in the seat - but it was only one cheek. (There is a nice mental pic for you).

It has never happened with other bikes and that is partly why I am confused.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Have you verified that the rear tire is aligned correctly, IE pointed straight ahead?
+

Spooned on fresh tires just before a 1000 mile weekend and it was pulling to the left the whole trip. When i got home I checked and the alignment was way off. Corrected alignment, pull to the left stopped.

Obliquely related: I read about tires wearing unevenly across their width. The article blamed it either the crown of the road, or the fact that in North America we make wider (and therefor faster) left-hand turns than we do right-handers when leaving an intersection. I suppose tire the subsequent wear could affect handling.

·
Administrator
13,347 Posts
If nothing above works for you then undo the bolts that hold the forks on and then re-tighten. Go for a ride. If the problem isn't fixed (it probably won't be) then you need to undo the the same thing again but also undo the nut on the top of the fork triple tee ( the shiny one you can see while riding if you have no farkels mounted there. Tighten things up again and go for a ride. Odds are the problem is fixed, if not please post here.

..Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts