StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to handle a water crossing? I've only done a few on my DL650 but I've watched "adventure" videos that show riders crossing standing on the pegs, riders crossing seated with legs outstretched as outriggers, and riders seated with feet on the pegs.. The depth and flow doesn't seem to be the determining factor, unless it's really deep and/or fast flow. Then most walk the bike through.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
If you can pull it off its a wheelie... everything stays dry

Note standing is always better as bike can react and your load is suspended by your legs

If water is deep like 2 feet then sitting maintaining an even slow speed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
May depend on whats at the bottom of the water crossing. Nasty, slimy round river rock is quite a bit different than a dirt or small gravel bottom.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Any way you can do it without falling down and making a big splash. :thumbup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you have a friend on the other side with a camera, definitely stay on the gas :yesnod:

·
Registered
22,424 Posts
to handle a water crossing?

riders crossing standing on the pegs,:thumbup:

riders crossing seated with legs outstretched as outriggers,:thumbdown:

and riders seated with feet on the pegs.:thumbup:..
I only have limited experience in water crossing, but plenty of experience riding on snow and ice, based on that, the LAST thing you want to do is ride with yer feet as outriggers. without your feet on the pegs, you loose a lot of control and balance of the bike

standing or sitting I think depends on how rough & solid the bottom is, a smooth (relatively) and hard bottom, I sit, as it gets rougher or more loose stuff, I stand on pegs

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
Can you

Can you see the bottom, and what's on it? If it is a nice smooth gravel bottom, then sure, weight back and gas it trying to keep the front end light. Only problem with those nice picturesque splashy crossings is that the wiring may not be entirely waterproof, and you're likely to splash quite a bit of it around. So the safest bet is a nice, slow, balanced crossing (standing up, feet on pegs) in that situation. Can't see the bottom? Not sure of what lies beneath (like rocks, ruts, ditches)? Then the safest method is to get off the bike, walk the crossing, and try to figure out what you'll be riding on. If lots of slimy stuff or ruts, might wanna think about walking the bike across (under power, of course). If the water's deep enough to submerge the air intake when the bike is tipped over, could do some serious damage if it is running when it goes under. Not to mention the fun of getting a leg pinned under the pike when it goes over. A slimy rock or cross rut will take the wheels out from under you before you can blink. Of course, after you ignore this advice, please post video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts