StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st tank was 50.2 (150mi on the slab), 2nd 59, last one 63.4(!).

This is commuting ~50mi one way. Usually hauling ass in the morning and taking long way in afternoon. Twisties delight. Doesn't save time but minimal sitting in the traffic in heat.

This is brand new 2015 adv BTW but I took side cases off to wide for traffic. Only top case. 300mi tanks are reality!

Other note MPG calculator consistently underestimates MPG, go figure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My average would be about the same as Copernicus (mines a 2007). Lower in the winter, 54 ish in the summer, lots of 75-80 mph highway with luggage and some runs with just the topcase.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Mid - 50's if I keep it under 70 MPH. Over that, it eats it a lot faster.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Since this is the General forum, you need to specify the bike.

My overall average on the 650 is around 53 mpg, and 46 mpg on the 1000. This is mostly backroads and around town, with a little freeway. Extended freeway drops it considerably, as it's hard for me to keep off the throttle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k

·
Registered
304 Posts
'09 650, averaging 53 mpg so far in the city with short highway runs here and there. I know I get 54 mpg on extended freeway trips so long as the needle stays at or below 75 (70-ish actual.) Above 80, mileage drops to 46 and change and plummets from there.

·
Registered
858 Posts
My 2015 DL-650 Adv sits around 51 mpg. That's a lot of stop and go in the afternoons coming home.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
mpg is less than 50

2007 DL650
mostly short commutes

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
2006 DL650

Average: 51.1
Worst: 37.7
Best: 62.9

Traveling loaded and with side cases and top case has lowered my average several miles per gallon from the day trips and commuting days. Of course, interstate runs makes it even worse.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To clarify, I have a dl650.
I can't believe how low some peoples mileage is on the 650! I don't think I'm that easy on the bike, mix of highway and back roads. Not too much heavy stop and go traffic if I can avoid it. I'm running givi e41 cases on the sides most of the time

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since this is the General forum, you need to specify the bike.

My overall average on the 650 is around 53 mpg, and 46 mpg on the 1000. This is mostly backroads and around town, with a little freeway. Extended freeway drops it considerably, as it's hard for me to keep off the throttle.
Gen2 '15 650A2 Adventure.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
975 Posts
Owned my 2015 650 since 9/15. Early on the mpg cackle-later figured high 60s/lower 70s, as opposed to low 50s when I measured at fill-ups. Figures much more compatible now at low 50s.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mid - 50's if I keep it under 70 MPH. Over that, it eats it a lot faster.
5000rpm seems to be the cutoff. That speed or lower, I get around 54. Sometimes better. Step it up a bit, and it's hard not to because the Interstates here are 80 mph...speed it up, and gas mileage drops amazingly. One hundred-mile run at 80 brought me about 42 mpg.

Interestingly, on fire trails and dirt roads, at under 20 mph in second or third gear...I still get in the low-mid 50s.

·
Registered
124 Posts
2014 DL1000A: The instrument panel was indicating 40.7 MpG before I added the SpeedoHealer to the speedometer line. I'm getting about 37 MpG after. I adjusted the speedometer by a -8.2% so the milage difference seems about right. Since the odometer was reading only about 4% high previously I imagine that it is now about 4% low which would mean that I am actually getting about 39 MpG. I'll have to do a couple of know distance trials to know for sure. But either way, those 1037cc are real fuel suckers!

Cheers!

·
Registered
196 Posts
2014 DL1000A: The instrument panel was indicating 40.7 MpG before I added the SpeedoHealer to the speedometer line. I'm getting about 37 MpG after. I adjusted the speedometer by a -8.2% so the milage difference seems about right. Since the odometer was reading only about 4% high previously I imagine that it is now about 4% low which would mean that I am actually getting about 39 MpG. I'll have to do a couple of know distance trials to know for sure. But either way, those 1037cc are real fuel suckers!

Cheers!
That's an interesting thought. With GPS I've measured the speedometer error at ten-percent fast. That's all up and down the range.

I hadn't thought if the odometer count is also fast. That would take my 54 down to 49.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I clocked both my speedometer and odometer before and after correction. Before the correction using the GPS (iPhone, Garmin, Magellan and a local speed camera) I clocked my indicated speed at about 8% to 8.5% over the actual speed. At the same time, using the milage paddles on the side of the road (which are surveyed and pretty accurate) I was able to estimate the indicated milage at about 4% high or just about half of the onset for the indicated speed.

After the adjusting the speed by -8.2% I rechecked the speed again against the iPhone, Garmin, Magellan and speed camera and the indicated speed seemed to be right on the actual speed. And when I rechecked the odometer against the milage markers I confirmed that it was now reading about 4% low which is what I would expect. All-in-all, I think I would rather have a correct speedometer and I can live with the rest.

That being said, my wife's Honda Civic Hybrid gets better milage than my DL1000A! But I think I have more fun.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I clocked both my speedometer and odometer before and after correction. Before the correction using the GPS (iPhone, Garmin, Magellan and a local speed camera) I clocked my indicated speed at about 8% to 8.5% over the actual speed. At the same time, using the milage paddles on the side of the road (which are surveyed and pretty accurate) I was able to estimate the indicated milage at about 4% high or just about half of the onset for the indicated speed.

After the adjusting the speed by -8.2% I rechecked the speed again against the iPhone, Garmin, Magellan and speed camera and the indicated speed seemed to be right on the actual speed. And when I rechecked the odometer against the milage markers I confirmed that it was now reading about 4% low which is what I would expect. All-in-all, I think I would rather have a correct speedometer and I can live with the rest.

That being said, my wife's Honda Civic Hybrid gets better milage than my DL1000A! But I think I have more fun.

Cheers!
That is interesting information. Is it specific to Wee 1K or all of them? You kind of expect speedo to be "happy" but for odometer to be also off..

Sent from my K01A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts