StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Wee came with one that looks like a flat plate under the motor. Does not cover the oil filter or anything on the front.

I found numerous models and types available for my KLR, but only see one or two for a Wee. Tried searching on here and did not come up with much.

What is available and what is the favorite?

Thanks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Narcosis junky (this forum)
Altrider
SW-Motech
Pat Walsh Designs

The SW-Motech is probably the least protective but lightest weight.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You ought to post a picture of the one you have now to see if anyone can identify it and see if there is an additional section the manufacturer may have available for the front.

The Pat Walsh system, for instance, starts out with a flat-kinda skidplate on the bottom as you describe (plus some crash bars that extend upward to connect with the frame) and there is an additional section sold seperately to add to the front to protect the oil cooler, oil filter, etc etc... it's a good system and not cheap, so adding to it rather than replacing outright would be a good way to go - if that's the one you have, at least...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You ought to post a picture of the one you have now to see if anyone can identify it and see if there is an additional section the manufacturer may have available for the front.

The Pat Walsh system, for instance, starts out with a flat-kinda skidplate on the bottom as you describe (plus some crash bars that extend upward to connect with the frame) and there is an additional section sold seperately to add to the front to protect the oil cooler, oil filter, etc etc... it's a good system and not cheap, so adding to it rather than replacing outright would be a good way to go - if that's the one you have, at least...
Can you see it in this pic?

Don't know if I have taken a close up of it, yet...

Also, can someone identify which crash bars are on it? I'm not sure if they are Givi or the Motech... That would affect which plate and how it connects...

·
Registered
220 Posts
They look like Givi bars, but I can't identify the skid plate.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
The skid plate and bars are not Pat Walsh. Who makes the panniers?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've been looking at skid plates and as far as I can tell, I'd agree that the Hyde racing plate is the cheapest and lightest commercially available plate for the DL650. It is some form of plastic, but that's why it's light and cheap(ish). User reports seem to suggest it actually works OK, even if it is a bit ugly!

http://www.hyderacing.com/store/adventure/suzuki/650.htm

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been looking at skid plates and as far as I can tell, I'd agree that the Hyde racing plate is the cheapest and lightest commercially available plate for the DL650. It is some form of plastic, but that's why it's light and cheap(ish). User reports seem to suggest it actually works OK, even if it is a bit ugly!

Suzuki DL650 V-Strom Motorcycle Accessories brought to you by Hyde Racing!
I just returned from a loop of the Trans-Labrador Highway and the Rock, and the Hyde worked fine for that application. YMMV...

Yes it's ugly.

Glenn

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Another vote for the Hyde Racing version. Been brilliant, shrugged off some massive hits with zero damage to the bike.

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Those are definitely Givi bars, and that looks a lot like the Dan Vesel skid plate. I just checked his site and the skid plate is no longer listed, but he used to make two versions -- one from steel and one from ABS or some kind of plastic.

If I'm not mistaken, the Dan Vesel plate and the Hyde Racing guard are the only ones that don't require crash bars for attachment. The Hyde Racing guard uses the front header as an attachment point, so it's not viable as a full-on bash plate, i.e. you wouldn't want to use it to pivot the bike over a boulder or stump. But for protection from loose stones, gravel, and so forth, it apparently works quite well and is a lot lighter than the other options.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Forgot to mention. It's 'Made in Nevada', so you can feel good about buying it :thumbup:. I would have preferred 'Made in Canada' - oh well!

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
The skid plate and bars are not Pat Walsh. Who makes the panniers?
Those are Hepco Becker "Gobi" panniers. They are also rebranded and used on the KTM 950/990 Adventure bikes. Available in either black or grey.

If you have a SW Motech rack system, TT makes (or did make) an adaptor plate to mount them... I have a set of the adapters if youre interested PM me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the same setup (Givi bars and Adventure Motostuff skid plate) and feel it is a very protective combination.
I agree, the bars have already paid for themselves :oops:
Also, the plate is strong enough that I can lift the whole bike with a jack.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts