StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i honestly never paid much attention to the "looks" of the vstrom, before or after i bought it. i bought based upon the research i did regarding long distance "adventure" bikes. simply, the vee was the best value and most reliable. i could care less if it can do deep sand, mud, or single track since i never had the intention to take it there.

anyway, yesterday having been simply a drop dead gorgeous day for riding in south florida, i took bluela out for a bit of a ride and wound up at a place called cafe 27--a well known bike hangout. mostly harley and sport bikes, but the odd touring bike as well.

i sat and watched folks milling about drooling over chromed out choppers and such, staring in awe at a rare-for-that-place gs-1200. yet not one person went over to look at my bike. made me happy, proud, and smiley. i could care less if people are interested in gawking at bluela. besides, less of a chance for someone to mess with it--if they ain't lookin, they ain't stealin.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Cafe 27, not far from Andytown.

Do you remember Andytown?

Hacienda Village?

I always park next to chrome.

Kinda unavoidable, really.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Tee Vee,

Do you know if Lox. Road goes clear through from State Road 7 (US 441) to US 27?

I was down there last August and that would have been a real handy shortcut for me around Andytown.

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
Yep, the bike practically no one sees.

Several years ago I was coming back from the Western Sierra through the central valley. I stopped at a gas station to take a leak and rehydrate. Came out of the bathroom to find half a dozen Mongols just dismounting. One came up and asked me if it was my Wee then spent five minutes extolling it's virtues to his buds. Turned out he worked at a San Jose bike shop and was impressed with the reliability.

One of perhaps three times anyone has asked me about the Wee.

It's better this way, invisible to the thieves too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Strom - arguably one of the ugliest bikes in the entire motorbiking world. Having said that, this is what i tell my HOG buddies...you got your HD to make you look good, but I make my Strom look good. :thumbup:

That is all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i honestly never paid much attention to the "looks" of the vstrom, before or after i bought it. i bought based upon the research i did regarding long distance "adventure" bikes. simply, the vee was the best value and most reliable. i could care less if it can do deep sand, mud, or single track since i never had the intention to take it there.

anyway, yesterday having been simply a drop dead gorgeous day for riding in south florida, i took bluela out for a bit of a ride and wound up at a place called cafe 27--a well known bike hangout. mostly harley and sport bikes, but the odd touring bike as well.

i sat and watched folks milling about drooling over chromed out choppers and such, staring in awe at a rare-for-that-place gs-1200. yet not one person went over to look at my bike. made me happy, proud, and smiley. i could care less if people are interested in gawking at bluela. besides, less of a chance for someone to mess with it--if they ain't lookin, they ain't stealin.
ULGY BUT FASTER THAN THE CHROMED OUT HARLEY AND IT CAN GO ON DIRT AND GRAVEL ROADS AND FIRE BREAKS THE HARLEY COULD NOT GO.WE HAVE ADVENTURE BIKES FOR THE ADVENTURE.Even the little DL 650 can hang with the 1800 cc big boys but the DL 1000 and DL 650 can leave them in the dust trail on unpaved unimproved roads.:green_lol:

Go Look in the used bike sites how many Harleys are for sale then look for the VStroms very few are for sale ? people who own them tend to keep them.If I wanted a bike that cost big $$$$ was uncomfortable ,had lots of problems from day one ,and left an oil spot everywhere I went I would buy another Harley !!!!!:yesnod::green_lol:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I must be in the minority here; I've never thought my V-strom was ugly (I have a 2012).

I think the V-strom gets checked out far more often than my Road King. In a world of look-alike chrome wagons, a DL650 with big black side cases tends to stand out.

For flat out ugly, I'm casting my vote for a BMW R1200C, or maybe Honda's new F6B Goldwing. Both of those (to me) look like ideas that should have been left on the drafting board.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I must be in the minority here; I've never thought my V-strom was ugly (I have a 2012).

I think the V-strom gets checked out far more often than my Road King. In a world of look-alike chrome wagons, a DL650 with big black side cases tends to stand out.

For flat out ugly, I'm casting my vote for a BMW R1200C, or maybe Honda's new F6B Goldwing. Both of those (to me) look like ideas that should have been left on the drafting board.
I'm with you. I happen to think that the VStrom is a pretty good-looking motorcycle. It's just a different style motorcycle. It's style is in keeping with its intended purpose. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. And I get lots of "Love your bike" comments, too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wouldn't trade my strom for all the "pretty" bikes I've ever seen. I bought it to ride,not look at. I don't cry when it gets dirty or rained on.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'm with you. I happen to think that the VStrom is a pretty good-looking motorcycle. It's just a different style motorcycle. It's style is in keeping with its intended purpose. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. And I get lots of "Love your bike" comments, too.
LOL, I hear those "love your bike" comments a lot too. Total strangers will walk up to me in a parking lot and start a conversation about it. That rarely happened with my Road King, probably because there are just so many of them around that one looks pretty much like another, unless the guy has invested another 10 grand in accessories.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My previous Wee, the one in my avatar, was complimented by a pretty young girl at a gas stop once. She was with her husband/boyfriend, hopped out of the car and said "Nice bike!". I said "Really?", "Are you sure?" I think it was the yellow color that did it. :bom_grin:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was once approached by a young man, about 20 or so, at a gas station store entrance. He started asking me questions about the bike. After a while he asked me to fire it up. So I did, he just stood there puzzled with a bewildered look on his face, turned and walked into the store. Didn't say thanks or see ya. Just walked away mumbling.........

It was weird, funny and kind of insulting at the same time.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,113 Posts
Mine is apparently not ugly.

I walked out of the supermarket last evening. A guy was approaching down a lane in the parking lot. Without my help he glanced over and saw my Strom, and he detoured 15-20 feet to get closer and look it over. By that time, I'd approached within speaking distance, and I said, "Mine!"

He just grinned and walked on toward the store. But... he stopped and looked back, waiting as I finished putting on the gear, until I hit the Start button and that first "Bam!"

·
Premium Member
710 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts

The F6B would look great if you covered the top of the bags in teak and threw a sail up. Don't know what it could be but it immediately gets me picturing a yacht.

I went out to the local coffee and doughnut shop yesterday and got compliments from two different HD riders, a guy on a cafe'd honda cb, and a gentleman on an old aspencade.

Maybe it's just my neck of the woods but people seem to love the Strom.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I actually like the look of the strom. I think everything about it is pretty, except for maybe the stock windscreen which looks a bit boring and the mirrors. Call me crazy, but I even like the bug eyed front. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The F6B would look great if you covered the top of the bags in teak and threw a sail up. Don't know what it could be but it immediately gets me picturing a yacht.
LOL, yes, I can see that. And teak saddlebags could only be an improvement. It looks like the bastard offspring of a night of drunken regret between a Street Glide and an Aspencade.

And for anyone who likes the F6B, I apologize for any offense taken.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts