StromTrooper banner

so this dillweed pulled out in front of me!!!

2861 Views 29 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  MikeB
KNUCKLE HEAD PULLED OUT IN FRONT OF ME!!!!

I avoided the car but.. I had to get on the breaks of my strom harder that I have ever had to before. I am not a rider that takes a lot of chances. but I was going the speed limit at the time which was 45mph.

Here's the problem. I had locked up my rear and I know I heard my front chirp and I went from 45 to 0 in no(if I had to guess it was less than 50 feet? not sure time. but my forks locked up in such a way that I could not turn. I was stuck in the middle of the road short of hitting someone that was now stopped in the middle of the road. now my bike wont turn. as luck would have it there was no one behind me for miles. but.. what the heck is up with my bike? I managed to got over the to side of the road and once there I forced the front wheel over to the right and it was as tho the forks unlocked as soon as I got the all the way over. drove the rest of the way home which was about 2 miles.. no problems at all.

I have never had any trouble with handling of this bike. the steering is normally quite easy and solid. I have good/new tires and live in tucson where is was like 105 today and the pavement was nice and worm.

what would cause forks to lock in such a way that you cant turn them? or is this normal?

this quite dangerous .. what if I need to turn as well as stop? see the issue?

thanks for your ideas and time..
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Banned
4,054 Posts
Uh, what do the bearings look like in there? (I'm talking about the ones supporting the steering stem)

I guess it's possible that they seized due to the extra weight from braking hard, but you surely would have realized that something was wrong before now.

Maybe it was the oil cooler that folded around your front tire when the tire hit it ;)

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent check the bearings. there has never been any reason for me to check. everything has always worked smoothly. the bars move freely smoothly from left to right. while driving or stopped.

I really had trouble moving them under heavy breaking and just after. I have been riding for 25 years. I have been in many close calls and been down once.. in all that time I have had to come to full stops to avoid a crash many times on many different bikes. this is the first time I have had something like this happen.

· Registered
969 Posts
So were the forks collapsed when they locked up or had they returned to there normal height? You have new tires so maybe you axle was not tightened enough and the forks were allowed to twist. Has the bike been lowered?

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
If you apply the front brake, can you pump the suspension up and down or is it stuck? The only cases I've heard of preventing steering involved a front frame bolt falling out onto the lower triple clamp behind the steering head and jamming the mechanism.

· Premium Member
1,751 Posts
do u have anything installed in the fairings such as a cruise control module or horn. something must have caused it to jammed. The reason i was is then i was doing test in the garage, i discovered on full compression my Rick's brace could, at certain angle, potentially come in contact with the body of my electric cruise control module - modified a brace a little to ensure no possible foul play.

Do a stationery test. support the bike on centrestand or paddock stand AND underneath the engine. take fork caps off, spacer and washers out. push the front wheel all the way up (may need a scissor jack under the tyre to help) - at full compression turn steering left and right - is anything jamming?

I couldnt think damper rod could have jammed

good luck and let us know what happened - u should really get to the bottom of this before riding again.

· Evolving Curmudgeon
1,122 Posts
I would be interested to know if the forks stayed compressed during this lock-up period or not.

· Registered
98 Posts
Or highway bar/pegs mounted to a skid plate? When I mounted my highway peg bar from HT, I mounted it one row of holes on the skid plate higher than is shown in the pictures because I was worried about them digging in in a tight twisty, and everything looked fine until I took it through a ditch and kind of bottomed out the front end. My front fender came above the highway bar and stuck on it when it came back down again (kind of locking up steering).

Just a thought.

· Registered
557 Posts
DILLWEED: Any person who uses a retail store to try on helmets or gear, or asks a zillion questions about products he or she is interested in and then goes home and buys said gear on-line.
Bad day?

And dillweed is in fact an herb. But also a good insult.:thumbup:

· Registered
7,576 Posts

Dill (Anethum graveolens) is a perennial herb. It is the sole species of the genus Anethum. Fresh and dried dill leaves (called dill weed to separate it from dill seeds) is a widely used herb in many ethnic cuisines, and in the west often used with seafood, pickles, and other foods.

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
I thought it is the yak hair that is sometimes glued to the base of a fake schloinker.

Glad you kept it up.

The bike, that is.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL:thumbup:

I use the word dillweed for dumb ass drivers. people that seem to think they are the only ones on the planet when in there cars.

as far as my front forks.

how could something binding in the fork tube(s) cause the forks to lock up? I had a lot of adrenaline flowing through my vanes ( which I usually like) so what I remember my not be that accurate.

1 the bike did seem to be a little shorter than normal. by the time I noticed this I was on the side of the road in the dirt and I that I might just be on uneven ground..

2 I do remember a popping noise as well as tires screaching on the pavement..also when I tried to turn after I stopped there was a popping noise when I forced the bars over.. not a one pop and done.. it was several pops as i turned the bars.

so this leads me to understand that I had some sort of spring binding going on in the tubes? if so.

1 what can I do about it?

2 do I need to fix? is there any damage that can happen to the bike?

3 how does springs binding keep me from turning the wheel? seems like that should be independent..

as I said I have been riding for many years and I have never even heard of this before.

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
I'm wondering if you might have had something come loose in the fairing. Maybe some gravel or something got kicked up in there at some time and got jarred loose during the hard stop and then it got lodged between the lower triple tree and the frame.

I have found stuff up in my fairing after getting roosted.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.