StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Stromtroopers! Long time lurker, first time poster here -- and I have a story to tell!

Little background: I recently procured the '05 Wee Strom (in red, the fastest color). It's my 9th bike; I have about 2000 miles on it personally and use it as my long-distance bike. I've been farkling it for a trip this spring. I also own a Triumph Street triple which I use locally and on the track...

Anyway, was on my way into work this morning, fully geared up to include the heated gear. Was almost to the end of my 20 mile commute when I came upon what turned out to be about a 6' wide ice-patch across the two-lane road. The roads SHOULDA been clear as we haven't had any precip, else I wouldn't have chanced a ride :furious:... I saw it, and prepared myself to go through it -- was doing in the neighborhood of 40-50mph, just accelerating off of a stop light. I was in some heavyish traffic, three cars in front and several behind me. Realizing I had no choice but to go over it and no where else to go, I made sure the bike was upright (the road was slightly curving), stopped accelerating, relaxed and made contact...

UNFORTUNATELY, the front wheel almost immediately broke to the left, and then back to the right; not quite a tank slapper as I still had some positive control, but it may as well have been... Oscillated about 5 times in all. I had just about managed to get it fully under control, when the rear end started fish-tailing; the plot thickens... I didn't have a foot on the rear brake, so when I managed to get the front end pointed back down the road, the rear was sliding out to the right; you can guess what happened next. The rear wheel regained traction and I was thrown high, hit, slid and rolled about 150 yards. My poor Strom slapped down hard on her right side and slid across into the left lane, about the same distance. :headbang:

I was wearing a full-face shoei RF-1000, Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket, Joe Rocket Ballistic Pants, and combat boots. I also had a set of gerbings heated Leather Gauntlets and a heated liner on under the jacket. Needless to say, the helmet is destroyed, sacrificing itself to save my noggin. The pants took the brunt of the crash; lots of melted nylon and rips. The jacket must be made of some new-fangled super nylon; it's a little scraped up but aside from some torn stitching is in great shape. The gloves are pretty rashed up; dunno if they are repairable. As for me, after a quick assessment of my person, I stood up and walked out and, with the help of some very nice strangers, got the strom up and out of the road. I have a little rash on my right hand (glove departed at some point), and I'm a pretty sore in the hip and shoulder... virtually NO other marks... Yep, I'm VERY lucky.

As for the bike, I have some work to do, and could use a little advice. The damage is all along the right side; foot peg is destroyed (hangar is salvageable however), and the passenger perch is heavily damaged and tweaked. The mid-fairing took the brunt of the crash, gathered a lot of rash, and broke a couple of tabs. Mirror took a little damage, bar end got torn to heck, the brake handle broke (HA!), and the flush mount turn signal was destroyed. Aside from that, a few plastic tabs and bits came tumbling out after I pulled the fairing off; but I couldn't readily ID where they all came form. From what I can tell, all of the screws still have a place to live.

Here are the two areas I'm concerned with: the forward portion of the fuel tank was dented in; you can see in the pic some of the paint is chipping off; I could not find any tears in the skin however; thoughts on it's durability?

Second, the right lower fork tube has a little rash along the bottom corner, under the pinch bolt. Everything appears straight; should I be concerned with anything in this neighborhood? Also, I haven't yet procured a Fork Brace... I wonder if that and a damper would've helped me out (my guess is yes)...

Here are some pics for your analysis and viewing pleasure.

That's a Happy Trails SU rack; thing is built like a brick house, lemme tell ya...

Honestly, I think my pride is hurt worse than the Strom...

BTW, if you've never been in a crash, this is how I experienced it (inner monologue):

Rear tire's sliding out, uh oh... *SCREECH KACHUNK* And now I'm airborne... I hope that cutey in the M3 behind me is on her A-game... Here comes the asphalt... *BAM*, man I'm glad I had a full face helmet on... Look the sky! Ground! Sky! Ground! Sky! Hey, where'd my right glove go?! Better tuck that hand in... Sky! Wow I'm tumbling fast, wonder when I'll stop? Grass?! OK... I'm stopped... <-- that's about the first two seconds; and I swear every one of those thoughts went through me head... :bom_rolleyes4:

So, glad to be here and able to post this for you guys! Feel free to mock me now :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
that will buff out.... :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about your get-off, glad you are OK and your gear saved your ass.....

I know hindsight is 20 20 but I will say it again.... for the benefit of all new Strom riders....

for your first Farkle....buy crash guards.....

don't let this happen to you....

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok and even have a sense of humor about the event.

I'm curious about your statement that you "stopped accelerating". Does that mean maintained a steady throttle so that you were neither accelerating nor decelerating? Or rolled off completely so that you were decelerating which would have put more weight on the front tire and could have caused it to brake loose more easily? And, would it have not made any difference no matter what you were doing - ice is difficult stuff to deal with?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MC, if I wasn't laughing about it, I'd prolly be crying ;)

As to what I was *trying* to do by "stopping" acceleration (coming off of that stop light): I was trying to even the suspension out, so neither accel nor decel, in the hopes that not loading the front tire would buy me a larger margin of safety. Kinda why I posted it; I wonder if I was wrong? Just thinking through it, the other thing it may have done is actually put myself in a WORSE position with the car behind me still accelerating... So many factors going into a situation like that.

In the end, you might be right -- I may have been doomed regardless of my actions...

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
*BAM*, man I'm glad I had a full face helmet on... Look the sky! Ground! Sky! Ground! Sky! Hey, where'd my right glove go?! Better tuck that hand in... Sky! Wow I'm tumbling fast, wonder when I'll stop?
Ground, sky, ground...been there, done that. I remember during the middle of it thinking, "oh crap, I'm gonna get hurt." I was right.

Glad you walked away to no real injury. Bikes are a lot easier to fix than body parts.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Man glad to see you got a good attitude about it. Ice is a tricky thing. I used to mountian bike to work in all weather (it was my strom before I could even drive), and by all weather.. I mean all. There were days that I could ride down a ice covered road with no problem at all, and others I would not be able to get 5 foot before falling down.

I'm just wondering if you were still on the gas (but maintaining speed) or if you had the clutch pulled in and coasting. Sometimes it does not matter, even the slant of the road will make you slide. This is why my bike is put away at the moment, the nights are below freezing and I'm afraid of this exact situation that you were in.

It doesn't look like your bike was damaged all too bad, but wait to see how you feel in the morning. I'm sure there will be some aches and pains.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Glad to see you had some good gear on. That's one thing about winter riding if you go down you will be better protected. I haven't been down on the street yet but I am sure my winter gear would protect me better than my summer gear (mesh jacket, pants, and gloves). Every time I have ridden across ice (some people water 365 days a year around here, even when it is 10F outside) and leave mini skating rinks here and there. I maintain a steady throttle, not decelerating, or accelerating and keep it straight and I mean straight up, sometimes straightening out a curve or temporarily going in the wrong lane if possible. I have always seen it in time and had plenty of time to prepare and I know all the trouble spots on my commute. I don't ride when it is actually snowing/sleeting but the above scenario seems to happen about 5-10 times every winter with some of the patches as long as a 100 ft. , so far I have kept the rubber down but, maybe I am just lucky!

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Glad you're ok. I too know the inner highside monologue; mine was (as I sailed over the bike) "oh shit, this is going to hurt" (sliding down the highway headfirst on my back, hearing the bike scraping along after me) "I hope it doesn't catch up to me" (when I slid off into the grass and started somersaulting) "oof ow uff agh oof" (after coming to rest and just laying still for a moment to take inventory of my parts) "hey, I think I'm ok!" You will be hella sore tomorrow, and probably more so the next day. If after a few days you notice any tweakage of your shoulder, don't wait to get it checked -- shoulder injuries can linger for a long time if untreated and you might be surprised to find how much even a small change in your range of motion can interfere with daily life.

As for the bike, personally I would get the fork checked out, but it's not likely anything else (that isn't totally broken off) is too far gone. Sand the flaky edges of the paint on your tank and spray some rustoleum on there. I believe the internal coating is more flexible than the external paint, but I'm definitely not an authority on that. Replace the fairing if you want, or repaint/apply stickers to your preference if it will still attach securely. Don't ride with it if you can't reattach all or at least most of the fasteners, especially on the leading edges. Since you didn't have bags on, if the luggage rack is still straight then the subframe probably is too.

A steering damper might have helped with the oscillation, but who knows if that would have actually prevented you going down. I don't think a fork brace would have mattered one bit in this situation, but they are a great thing to have on the strom in general.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
You can repair the plastic or just buy a new one

Fill in scratches with jb weld and treat like any paint prep and spray. Go some color don't try to match. Even colorite with red won't match anyway

Paint isn't cheap anymore

Tank is fine just paint so it doesnt rust.

·
Registered
707 Posts
6 foot patch of ice

Me too! I was on my way in this morning after leaving the house. Rode the 1/4 mile to the first stop sign where I noticed that there was a very large patch of ice just before the sign. I managed, much like you, to straighten up, scrub some speed before hand, and then I clutched it to coast over, without incident.

Did I do it any better? Who knows...I didn't go down, but I don't credit skill with that achievement, just luck. Ice is freaky weird and you'll never know. As mentioned previously, even the slope of the road works against you. I was lucky to be on a more or less level section of road.

I saw a few other frosty patches, but that was my only real encounter, so, lucky twice in my book. I understand the dialogue in your head because I was looking for trouble and found it, saying, "Oh shit, here we go," when I saw that patch that ran across the width of the road for almost eight feet. (who measures) Oh, I was only doing about 20 mph when I hit the ice because I had already prepared for the stop sign.

Good work surviving with such minor damage. :beatnik:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Glad you're OK...

Looks like your bike made it through pretty good too except that fairing.

My inner monologue this summer was, "damn, my jacket rode up. Is that the curb. Hey that kind of hurts. Hey that kind of burns. When the hell am I going to stop sliding. Crap...stop sliding. Oh come on...enough is enough. PLEASE."

I was caught between the bike and a curb on a highway offramp. It was raining and my bike did a complete 180 before I went down. No tire screeching at all.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
THAT ain't no stinkin car tire?!? hahahaha, I don't mean to hyjack this thread, but I couldn't resist.:beatnik:
that's what I was running in winter before I went to the darkside, still run the front in winter though

a 650 would prolly do better than the 1000, the front stays planted well on frozen icy roads, with 1000cc, the rear still spins up easy if yer not careful, the heavier car tire really helps at that aspect

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Do y'all think coasting with the clutch disengaged would have prevented the original poster's high-side?
Thats a good question. I doubt it though. But driving a cage would have.:confused:

I don't ride when its slick. I rarely commute to work on my bikes. It just is not a relaxing experience for me. The bike should be recreation, I never want to associate my bike with unpleasurable trips. To me choosing when to ride is as important as what gear you wear in your risk avoidance profile.

Sure would hate to become a greasy spot commuting....this rider was lucky to be posting about this so soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So there I was, Ice patch -

Actually, I admire all of you guys who have time for those inner thoughts are you are experiencing dumping your cycle.

For me, it was one moment I was making a curve and the next I was down with my cycle on top of me and me looking up at the sky.

No time for any inner thoughts (or I just might be a bit slow in that area).

Congrats on being able to walk away. My experience is that it didn't start to really hurt until that night (was able to ride the bike home).

Matrix
"Free your mind."

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Welcome to the rashy bike club. Ice be bad, crashing sucks. Now you can have a shirt monagrammed OSIC..."oh sh-t, I crashed". Wear it proudly!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts