StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I thought my V-strom was a pretty great bike, I've decided it's not the right bike for me, at this time in my life. In Fact, it's not a stretch to say that the reason I sold it is, it's such a great bike it deserves better.

Anyway, all I do is commute these days (17 miles each way, back roads), and will for the for see-able future, so the v strom seemed superfluous.

Sold it to a really good guy who will probably join this site soon, if he already hasn't.

Just wanted to say good bye, and thanks for all the help, knowledge, and comradery. One day when I have more time to ride, other then just commuting, the v strom will be on my short list of bikes to buy.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm curious.

I assume you've been commuting via bike (Strom).

If true, do you intend to continue commuting via bike, and, if so, what have you found that's better for that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
hmm, i wondered whether you were goin' for a kroooooozer ;)

nothing wrong with commuting. bein' up on two (i'll give y'three, as well!) is the main thing imho.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Thanks for replying and good luck to you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.
i also meant to say in my first post-----this is the best model specific site I've ever been on! and i've been on more then I care to admit.

And, not to take anything from all the other smart folks here, but Greywolf was some kinda' of helpful.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Thanks.
i also meant to say in my first post-----this is the best model specific site I've ever been on! and i've been on more then I care to admit.

And, not to take anything from all the other smart folks here, but Greywolf was some kinda' of helpful.
No doubt. He's helped me many times.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I-man, thanks for the farewell post.
I bought my Glee primarily for commuting 12 miles one way. I have the Adventure model and have gotten into the habit of leaving the side cases on for gym bag, laptop, groceries, etc.

I agree with your comments about this site as well. Great group of helpful people and the mechanics of the site work much better than others.

All the best on your new ride.
Until we meet again. I'm now off to read you AdvRider post.
Cheers,

·
Registered
87 Posts
I definitely get where you are coming from. Pre-'strom I commuted surface roads on an XT225 for a season before it was stolen, and I had a blast. (I never knew about the cush drive issue from your advrider thread, good to know.)

Before that my first bike was 10 years on an 1100 cruiser. Being a bigger, older guy I always thought street-only, bigger-is-better, and loud pipes. Since then, after my obligatory Gen-X Long Way Round eye opening, my horizons are so much broadened. I think about 250s and e-bikes, KLRs, 2WD Urals, RE Himalayan, Zeros. Dual sports all day long. But rarely does something bigger than about 800 cc even cross my mind.

I do like the Strom as my do-almost-everything, but if it were just my 10-mile commute I'd go way smaller for sure. I think you nailed it with the CB.

Okay, maybe I still think occasionally about an Africa Twin, alone in my room. We all daydream about riding something out of our league from time to time. :)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm definitely not criticizing anyone else's decision, but before my Wee I rode, for about a year, a DR350 as my commuter bike. Maybe all 350s aren't created equal, and maybe all commutes aren't created equal, but the 350 just didn't have enough power to suit me. It struggled to run 60-65 MPH and I'd have been afraid to put it on the freeway. I'm still a big, tall guy, but at that time I was 300+ (6-4), so maybe that's a big part of why the 350 struggled. :smile2:

To each his own, but for me a Wee or a ~500-750cc bike of some sort, is the smallest I'd consider. Btw, very large-displacement bikes have no appeal either. A Vee2 or S10 is as large as I'd consider. My Wee works perfectly for me, for commuting, for longer rides, and for 2-up day rides. :smile2:

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
Nothing wrong with a smaller bike. Depends on your needs. A friend had a BMW GSA and found it to be too big in the dirt and too big for commuting. He's a goodly sized person too.
I keep thinking with the new 310 BMW coming out I could down size from the G650GS to the 310 as I fade out of BMW ownership.
I like to think of the Wee Strom as the ideal all around bike. Good for all day travel and camping and commuting. Inexpensive and simple to maintain.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Reason I selected my 2015 VStrom is because of the daily commute.
Road repairs have made the main arteries unwise go-home time so I need to take the back routes.
The city has allowed the utilities to do shoddy work when repairing road damage and some look like Beirut.
Literally destroyed the suspension on my scooter in 4 months.
The VStrom sucks those rough spots up and does so with really great mileage.
My ONLY beef is the seat height. Just last night I had to change parking locations at a restaurant because the tilt was such the bike would have been impossible to stand up.
You learn to detect that point of no return and make other arrangements. I swear sometimes it feels like it will just use the kickstand for a pole vault.
That said - you gotta do what's best for you. Good luck!

Reactions: griff010

·
Registered
87 Posts
and for 2-up day rides. :smile2:
I've got 4200 miles this summer, with happy reports from the wife, that says the DL650A can be great for longer 2-up touring too! And that includes many miles on graded dirt and packed gravel up in Northern Maine and New Brunswick.

By extreme contrast, I also have a few moments 2-up on the XT225, forced on to I-95 to get across a river. They were...interesting.

But solo on the XT225 on the highway seemed okay, at least for an hour here and there. Perhaps my rounded middle is highly aerodynamic.

·
Administrator
17,527 Posts
I'm definitely not criticizing anyone else's decision, but before my Wee I rode, for about a year, a DR350 as my commuter bike. Maybe all 350s aren't created equal, and maybe all commutes aren't created equal, but the 350 just didn't have enough power to suit me. It struggled to run 60-65 MPH and I'd have been afraid to put it on the freeway. I'm still a big, tall guy, but at that time I was 300+ (6-4), so maybe that's a big part of why the 350 struggled. :smile2:

To each his own, but for me a Wee or a ~500-750cc bike of some sort, is the smallest I'd consider. Btw, very large-displacement bikes have no appeal either. A Vee2 or S10 is as large as I'd consider. My Wee works perfectly for me, for commuting, for longer rides, and for 2-up day rides. :smile2:
Yup it's a single and will be pretty gutless for the most part as only a 300, but a 300 parallel twin like the Versys 300 is a whole other ballgame. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Here's my thread over at advrider, if anyone wants to hear the whole story. Street only dual sport | Adventure Rider

After weeks of looking and thinkin' I ended up with a cb300f.
Too bad you haven't wait enough for Versys-X 300 ?.

No seriously I understand completely. My commute is 50mi one way and 3mo ago DL650 weight was a bother in stop-n-go traffic. Not anymore I am used to it and on many occasions I take some twisties to avoid sitting in traffic. But my old Ninja 250r commuter was so much lighter and easier.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I see you moved on to the CB300F, before I bought the V-Strom; I had the CB300F and the CB500F in my sights. I liked the simplicity of both of them.

Have a great time with the Honda and keep it shiny side up.

I have a tiny little 1973 CL175 that I need to get back on the road; my brother tells me he feels like he is on a bicycle when he rides it. That's not always a bad thing.

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feed back.

I was able to spend some time on the little Honda this long Holiday weekend. It is a very fun, peppy little devil! It really takes me back to when I first started riding.

The way I'm thinking about it now---the Strom is a serious grownups bike, that can go serious grownup distances, and carry lots of stuff, while the little Honda isn't very serious, but it's FUN! (yes, I know all motorcycle riding is serious and can get you killed and I treat it with respect)

Honestly, I wish I could have kept the strom, and I believe I will own another someday, but for now, I feel like I made the right choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts