StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everyone, I just put a deposit down on a new Super Tenere, so the venerable Glee is about to head for the trade in lot. It was a blast, and the DL is a great bike, but I just wanted something a little bigger for all the two up touring that I do.

I've met some great and knowledgeable guys on the forum, and learned more about this particular bike than any other bike I've owned.

I'll be de-accessorizing the 650 before the trade in, so keep an eye on the for sale forum.

Thanks to all, and a big thanks to Greywolf for his knowledge of all things V-strom related.

·
Registered
108 Posts
RC-That's a lot of posts over the years! Good luck with your new bike and check back in from time to time. You might end up adding another Strom to your stable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I may have traded with ya.... my 2012 S10 is for up sale. Can't list it here cause of the restrictions on post count but its listed on the Tenere site and ADV.

You'll love the Tenere though if you are doing 2 up Touring....

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Well everyone, I just put a deposit down on a new Super Tenere, so the venerable Glee is about to head for the trade in lot...
I've enjoyed reading your posts RCinNC. Best of luck.

I'm moderately interested in trading "up" somehow, either to a newer Wee/Wee2 or to a Vee2. In what region of NC (assuming NC) will you be trading? If close enough to home (or close enough to my route for an upcoming trip to Myrtle Beach), I might drop by to have a look at it at the dealer. Hope you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've enjoyed reading your posts RCinNC. Best of luck.

I'm moderately interested in trading "up" somehow, either to a newer Wee/Wee2 or to a Vee2. In what region of NC (assuming NC) will you be trading? If close enough to home (or close enough to my route for an upcoming trip to Myrtle Beach), I might drop by to have a look at it at the dealer. Hope you don't mind me asking.
Thanks, HokiesRWee!

I'm actually trading it up in West Virginia. However, if you're going to be passing through NC in the next week and you want to look at it, I'm cool with that. I'm sure the dealership would be just as happy with getting cash from me as they would a trade.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Good for you

Please look at motoman break in

I have had TERRIBLE experience with Yamaha LOW tension piston rings

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good for you

Please look at motoman break in

I have had TERRIBLE experience with Yamaha LOW tension piston rings
I've read pretty much universal praise on the Tenere, including Nick Sanders' forum, but I appreciate the heads up.

·
Registered
964 Posts
ENVY!!!!!

I've been eyeing the S10 since it came out a few years ago. Finally test rode one and after some unpleasant highway slogging on the Glee, I've decided the Tenere is my next bike.

A local dealership has a 2013 but high-balled priced it and low-balled my trade, then made no further effort to communicate with me or get my business... otherwise I'd be copying and pasting your OP here in my own thread.

Enjoy. Eventually I'll join you. On the plus side, now that I've mentally "broken up" with the Glee, I'm finally riding it like I stole it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What a bummer, RC, whether I respond or no, I've always enjoyed reading your posts.

My riding buddy is on a 2013 S10, so I see the Yammy in action a lot. It's a great bike, no doubt about it. I especially love Yamaha's spoked wheels that still permit the use of tubeless tires. The battery location sucks, though! :)

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a bummer, RC, whether I respond or no, I've always enjoyed reading your posts.

My riding buddy is on a 2013 S10, so I see the Yammy in action a lot. It's a great bike, no doubt about it. I especially love Yamaha's spoked wheels that still permit the use of tubeless tires. The battery location sucks, though! :)
Thanks a lot, Matt. I guess that a thousand plus posts means I have way too much time on my hands LOL.

I agree, the spoked wheels just look great on that bike. It weirds me out a bit too that the battery and the radiator are on the sides of the bike, but at least I wont have to worry about junebugs caught in the radiator :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ENVY!!!!!

I've been eyeing the S10 since it came out a few years ago. Finally test rode one and after some unpleasant highway slogging on the Glee, I've decided the Tenere is my next bike.

A local dealership has a 2013 but high-balled priced it and low-balled my trade, then made no further effort to communicate with me or get my business... otherwise I'd be copying and pasting your OP here in my own thread.

Enjoy. Eventually I'll join you. On the plus side, now that I've mentally "broken up" with the Glee, I'm finally riding it like I stole it.
Hi Steve...I doubt if I would have made that leap if I hadn't have found what I felt was a "too good to pass up" price on one in West Virginia. When I see a Tenere at a DL1000 price, it's a foregone conclusion that I'm going to jump at it....

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
Hi Steve...I doubt if I would have made that leap if I hadn't have found what I felt was a "too good to pass up" price on one in West Virginia. When I see a Tenere at a DL1000 price, it's a foregone conclusion that I'm going to jump at it....
Trading up in Romney West Virginia by chance? I love the S10, anxious to hear your thoughts and evaluation if you ever stop back by the forum. Hope you don't totally leave, have always enjoyed your posts.

·
Registered
646 Posts
ENVY!!!!!

Don't take it personally, I've found most motorcycle dealers are just crap at communicating with potential customers, zero follow-up. The complete opposite of car dealers.
Persue the Tenere route, if that's your desire, I've just bought a used one with 2k miles on it, but will keep the wee until I figure which one is a keeper (that's what I told my wife) :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Good luck man!

I went the other way, Tenere to Strom. I personally wouldn't look back, but most people think I was a moron to have gotten rid of the S10 for a Strom, so there may be something to that. :confused:

Enjoy that 34 mpg you'll be getting. :headbang:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
You will absolutely love it.

I made the switch from a DL1000. The Vstrom was and is a great bike. My riding preferences just changed a little more toward the off-road spectrum where the ST really shines. On road, the big V was a blast......the ST a little more sedate.

If I had to list only one big difference it would be the rpm range I ride in. I ride my ST in the 2000 to 4000 rpm range unless needing to pass. The big V stayed in the 3500 to 6000 range. Same roads, same rider. I can relax more on the ST where the DL kept me busy.

Now, I am looking for a post 2012, cherry low mileage wee. This winter I will buy one. I decided I want to return to two bikes again.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good luck and a lot of fun with new bike. Just wonder: any particular reason you have not decided to go for VEE2?
One big thing was the shaft drive, Rick. The V-strom was the first bike I owned with a chain (all the others were belt or shaft) and I just didn't like the maintenance.

I had a chance to compare the new V2 and the Tenere side by side, and (this is strictly my opinion), the fit and finish of the Yamaha really stood out from the Suzuki. Parts of the Strom looked more "plastic-y", for want of a better word. That was the first thing my girlfriend, who doesn't know anything about bikes, remarked on when she saw them both. Not the only reason to choose the Tenere over the V2, for sure, but it was a factor. I've read tons of stuff on line about both the V2 and the Tenere, and the Tenere seems to edge ahead on pretty much everything. The truth will be in the riding, though, and I haven't ridden the Yamaha yet.

Originally I wanted to get an FJR1300, because some part of my lost youth still wanted a bike that would go 150 mph, but reason prevailed. The Tenere seems to offer, for me, the best combination of handling, horsepower, and the ability to haul a lot of stuff with a passenger.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts