StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was out riding

Just went on a twisty excurtion with a sport bike club. Had the bike up to the top speed many times. Slight wobble at speed but I'm loving it. Played with some Gixxer 1000. The Strom does not have the top end of these bikes,but the bottom end I think is comparable. 5000 rpm to red line awesome. So I had a great trip flying through the cannons, you guys have to come to BC Canada for some great twisties. It's so true ie. accidents happen within the area you live and stats say the left hand turners will get you. This car pulls out of a lane and pauses momentarily.
I'm thinking its fine. (Have to start using my horn to get peoples attention)
Next thing I know I'm spinning on my ass with the bike also spinning towards me. WTF. I seem ok so I proceed to pick my bike up instead of getting witness. A friend told me to always carry a disposable camera to document the crash. The ladies crying in the car and as they always say I never saw him.

I rode the bike home about 1KM. A little strange with no left foot peg and the forks tweeked.

Damage: Too me shoulder sore leathers scuffed.Guys always were your gear!

Damage to bike: L turn signal gone, clutch lever snapped off, bar weights bent, fairing busted, fender broken, forks bent I'm pressuming, L foot peg missing, crash bars bent in, possibly handle bars bent. I made some Hwy pegs and they are vary close to the oil cooler. It looks like they are in far enough to not hit the ground when the bike is down.

Sore and upset my babies been damage Scooter

·
Registered
285 Posts
Last year I decided to go to my allergist in my shorts and sneakers. Only 3 miles so what can happen. I'm heading back a guy in front of me stops and puts on his left blinker. I start to pass him on the right. He decides to go right insead of left. As I fall in slow motion I kept cursing myself. It turns out that the idiot was lost and wanted to make a U turn by turning into a driveway on the left side. At the last moment he saw a better driveway on the right and decided to go that way. As I'm picking the bike up and he is coming out of his car a woman drives by from the opposite direction and yells at him for having the wrong directional on. No major damage to the bike. Some scrapes to my right knee and the area above my foot. There is no solution for these kind of situations. They will never see you. I had plenty of close calls and 90% of them within a few miles of home. At this point I don't get on the bike unless I am going to ride. I'll take the cage if I'm going to the A&P to pick up something. The worst ones are the suburban women on the diet pills and talking on their cell phones.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG! Scooter, that was not the kind of action I was talking about. :shock: :shock:
I'm glad you're safe and sound [relatively]. Watch yourself for injuries that crop up later. The bike can always be fixed.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mike183 said:
... At this point I don't get on the bike unless I am going to ride. I'll take the cage if I'm going to the A&P to pick up something... .
Mike, I'm exactly the same way. I simply don't ride casually anymore. I used to, but too many close calls.

·
Registered
213 Posts
anyone out there

Scooter

Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope everything works out . Glad to hear you were not hurt bad.

I went for a 290 mile ride today. The Bridgestone BT020s were great, they really improved the way the bike handles.
The DL650 seat I put on the bike was not very comfortable. I like the cut of the seat but boy is it hard. I was uncomfortable after about 200 miles. If I continue to use the seat I'll have to get some crash bars so I can mount some highway pegs.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, scooter, sorry to hear that. Rest well, call in sick tomorrow, get the bike repaired, repeat riding. :wink:
Just passed the 600 mark on the '04 today. A quick oil change (looked like the stuff was new coming out of the pan!) and the ability to "wind-her-out" a bit more took me to the famous Angeles Crest Hwy. (where many of the magazines take their bikes for testing). This bike is absolutely amazing and deceptively fast! I find myself cruising around 90 effortlessly whereas my other bike is really huffing it.
Got real lucky, too. During one of the more "spirited" rides around the hills, I was met head on by a CHP on a BMW. He wasn't as thrilled as I was with my performance, :oops: and sternly gave me the universal "slow-down" sign.

Ride safe

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DID 125 MILES IN THE SUN TODAY IT WAS GREAT :lol: :)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh man, that sucks. Glad yer not hurt, coulda been much worse.

I rode my KLR650 fer a little bit yesterday, gettin her ready to sell...felt like a mini-bike after being used to riding the 'Strom...LOL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Crap! Crap! double Crap! Shit! O'Man Scooter, I am very sorry that your day was ruined like that. I am however very happy you are none the worse for wear. I hope the bike is easily repaired and parts are easy to find. It's been about 4 weeks+ since I went down on that frosted over man hole cover and I am pretty much good to go now. I hope your soreness doesn't last as long. You take care of yourself, OK
Ron

·
Registered
351 Posts
repeat ride

Thanks guys!

Its a sunny monday morning, at home,sore shoulder,bounce of the walls yearning to ride. I think I have the insurance thing figured out,taking my leathers in to be looked at, but I must admit they just looked scuffed some of the sewing has been broken. The bike will get fixed properly, and as dessert dave says repeat riding. Been thinking about the topic of not riding casually, texbridge & mike 183. My only transportation last year was my bike, this year I do have a cage insured. I'm torn on this topic because I like the VS with passion, the bike kicks ass.

The Strom is fun and most bikes don't suprise me. My friend east indian guy very quite and unimposing comes flying by me and leads. His skills had improved 10 fold from last year. I was impressed with the yzr 600r
thunder cat. It seem to be able to holds its own with the VS. Specs: 92hp , 49ft/lbs. The Strom doesn't need to go over 220km/h. Above that with the large sail effect and the trunk on, it could get a little hairy. Did I say I love the VS.

With all this free time:
(shit its beautifual out where's my bike oh ya wrecked.)Considering renting one; have a trip planned for this coming Easter holiady to ride down to Brookings Oregon. You know Olymipic Peninsuls Hwy 101#. I'm just one big whinner.

Analysing my skills and the accident:

I knew there could have been a problem with the car pulling out of the lane. Did not go into reaction mode soon enough. Alter possible problem on right. First I was not in urban assualt mode. I started to get the brakes applied and the bike was in weight transfer.A lot of motorcyle accidents it's found that the brakes aren't even applied. So the positive is that I was at least trying to react to the situation. I ride the VS with my four fingers on the brake lever. The VS is pretty good at not getting too wrecked, although thats with crash bars on. I was lucky with the accident, but my skill set needs refining, Have to practice the high speed braking. I can say one thing I did not feel that I was going to be T-bone. The dent on her car was a laugh and maybe the bummper scuffed. Practice practice practice.
Or maybe just ride the cage around in the city. Ride the Winds of Change.

I appoligze for the odd ranting. Guys and Gals ride safe always.

Scooter

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
man, it's pretty friggin easy fer me to sit here in my chair and tell you what you should have done or shouldn't have done...so I won't...LOL

They say there are two kinds of street riders - those who have laid it down, and those who will.

:wink:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote="hux"

They say there are two kinds of street riders - those who have laid it down, and those who will.

:wink:[/quote]

For 20 years I thought that was dead wrong. Then I drove my ZRX1200 off the road for no reason at all. Perfect weather, perfect road, no traffic. I just missed a turn. :shock: Ever since then, I've become a believer. I guess that's why I resist riding in the city if I can avoid it. Just seems more dangerous.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have news for you. I lived in the city for many years and never had a problem. I now live in the suburbs. I still take my bike to work. My other bike, a GS500, has over 15,000 miles in two years and much of that was going to work in Manhattan. I cut between cars and the usual other things that are needed to get to work on time. I'll go into Manhattan 2 up on a Saturday night and won't worry as much as I worry the 2 miles that it takes me to get onto the highway. The most dangerous roads are the local roads in the suburbs. People drive very big cars. They don't fear for their safety and they certainly are mot concerned about your safety. When you ride in the city your senses are in overdrive and you are more alert. You expect things to happen. In the suburbs people are too busy smelling the flowers and that is why we have so many accidents. The bike is great to take into Manhattan since you can park it almost anywhere. Driving in the city is a pisser. Heading down the Henry Hudson Parkway at 80mph, pulling up on the handle bars as you approach each concrete divider so the front forks don’t bottom out. That was on my GS. Hopefully the V-Strom will handle those damn metal seams better.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could be right, Mike. After all, I didn't crash in the city, did I? LOL!
I think the thing to do is to simply be alert, wherever you are riding. Expect the unexpected. One reason I'm considering a V-Strom is becasue I believe it will be less distracting [i.e. easier] to ride in a tense traffic environment than my current bike.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya...I damn near had my first street accident yesterday after 20+ years...riding out in the hills behind a Dodge pickup with my head in the clouds, lookin at the pretty mountains, etc...I look back at the road and the truck has stopped to make a left turn..big handful of front brake, stomp on back...back tire instantly locks, i let off and straighten her out, repeat...I ended up next to the driver side of the truck as if we were both at a stoplight - thankfully he saw me *not* stopping and didn't make his turn, I would have slapped into the door. So we're sitting there, him looking at me, me looking at him, both of us know we just avoided an accident because I wasn't paying attention...I felt like I should say *something* - so I threw both hands in the air and said "WOOT! WE DIDN'T WRECK!". He looked at me like I was an idiot and drove away, but at that moment I didn't care...

I'd like to thank whoever designed the brakes on the V-Strom, if I had been on the KLR I'd have been eating Ram...LOL

Again - there are two kinds of street riders, those who have laid it down and those who will.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hux said:
ya...I damn near had my first street accident yesterday after 20+ years...
I'd like to thank whoever designed the brakes on the V-Strom, if I had been on the KLR I'd have been eating Ram...LOL
AHA! Another KLR refugee. :D Having no discernable front brakes certainly does encourage a unique street riding style, doesn't it?
But the KLR does turn quickly with those wide bars. When I crashed, the first thing I thought was: "I would've made that turn on my KLR!"
Be safe, dude, it's scary out there.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

:wink:[/quote]
Actually, that type of thinking is trying to be diminished. A new "school of thought" coming from those defensive riding schools, is that if you have time to say, "Oh shit!" you have that second to respond--and hopefully--avoid a crash.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey, I gots nuttin against avoiding a crash ;)

I attribute my crash avoidance the other day to my cat-like reflexes and years of ninja training...had nuttin to do with a cager paying attention when I wasn't...nope, not that at all.

:D (just happy not to have wrecked)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts