StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At about the 3,000 mile mark I decided to change the oil on my bike, despite having had the 600 mile service done just at the end of February, because I ride so much in the city that it's really well over 300 hours of riding with a lot of low gear constant shifting. Since the manual indicates I only need to change the filter with every other oil change I figure I'm good for just draining and refilling the oil.

I've changed the oil on my other bikes but I can't find the drain plug on the 2012 DL650. The manual points at a bolt that I can't map easily. I found a bolt on the underside of the engine that I thought was the drain plug, it has a "4" on it, but I removed it practically all the way out without any oil coming out, so I don't think that's what it is.

I have the OEM under cowling attached so it might be obscuring where the drain plug is, but when I looked under the cowling all the bolts I can see seem to be attaching the exhaust to the engine.

Er... A little help?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's number 1. It's an older pic but it's at the same position and the cast fin in front ot it is a dead giveaway.

·
Registered
833 Posts
it has a "4" on it, but I removed it practically all the way out without any oil coming out, so I don't think that's what it is.

Er... A little help?
Just curious, why did you not removed it completly?
That was the good one...

·
38,048 Posts
Oil pretty much stays in place until the plug is totally withdrawn.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil pretty much stays in place until the plug is totally withdrawn.
I see... On my Kawasaki VN750 it starts spurting oil about halfway from fully removing the plug, which has much less thread on it too. I had the feeling I was removing an engine mounting bolt :p

So I probably had it right then!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
38,048 Posts
The fin is the clue. There are oil gallery plugs at the bottom too but no mounting bolts.

·
Registered
360 Posts
And just to make sure you have the correct bolt, it is on the left side of the bike. Behind the little fin, as mentioned above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts