StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to buy the trekkers for my new strom, and after much deliberation i'm thinking I might go 33,46, and 52ltr.

My reasoning was to have the 52ltr as top box nad the 33 on exh side and 46 on other, I think it looks bit more balanced that way.

However I have a question for fellow trekker owners, will the quick click removable sw moto mounting gear be ok, does anyone have it, any feed back on use?

Do givi themselves do a removeable type now also, I cant find any listed?

Also its my understanding that the three boxes mentioned above here are fully interchangeable and can be used in any position, ie top or pannier, can anyone verify this?

Cheers

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
SW Motech all the way, their stuff is top notch!!!!!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You mean the rack itself being "quick release"?

GIVI does make them in that style, they are designated with an "R" suffix.

This is the 2012+ quick release model:

Givi PLR3101 side case Fitment Kit for the 2012 -2013 Suzuki DL650 - Suzuki V-Strom 650. - Sport Tour Ltd.

They should all interchange with one another. The only GIVI bags that require a different / dedicated mount are the V35 bags.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean the rack itself being "quick release"?

GIVI does make them in that style, they are designated with an "R" suffix.

This is the 2012+ quick release model:

Givi PLR3101 side case Fitment Kit for the 2012 -2013 Suzuki DL650 - Suzuki V-Strom 650. - Sport Tour Ltd.

They should all interchange with one another. The only GIVI bags that require a different / dedicated mount are the V35 bags.
yes the rack itself quick release, the above is just what I had before, all the hardware stays on bike when not loaded with luggage

The evo from sw motech, actually quick releases the rack when not in use.

I'm just trying to verify that they fit trekkers and that they are any good.

thanks

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I have decided to buy the trekkers for my new strom, and after much deliberation i'm thinking I might go 33,46, and 52ltr.
Good choice :thumbup:

My reasoning was to have the 52ltr as top box nad the 33 on exh side and 46 on other, I think it looks bit more balanced that way.
Yep, agree with this. The bike looks more balanced and the panniers sit out at a more even distance.

However I have a question for fellow trekker owners, will the quick click removable sw moto mounting gear be ok, does anyone have it, any feed back on use?

Yes Givi make a set, I got the Rapid Release version - PLR3101. 30 secs to take on/take off the pannier frames

Also its my understanding that the three boxes mentioned above here are fully interchangeable and can be used in any position, ie top or pannier, can anyone verify this?

Cheers
While they all use the Monokey mount, I wouldn't be using the 52 as a pannier. But you can use all 3 (52/46/33) as a top box depending if you have a small/big load.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
yes the rack itself quick release, the above is just what I had before, all the hardware stays on bike when not loaded with luggage

The evo from sw motech, actually quick releases the rack when not in use.
I'm not sure you are looking at the link I posted, or maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, because that link is a quick release rack made by GIVI. Much like the SW Motech, there are pieces of the rack which are permanently mounted but the bulk of the rack disconnects when not in use.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes Givi make a set, I got the Rapid Release version - PLR3101. 30 secs to take on/take off the pannier frames

While they all use the Monokey mount, I wouldn't be using the 52 as a pannier. But you can use all 3 (52/46/33) as a top box depending if you have a small/big load.

Cheers
Thanks, great pics, yeah I wouldn't use 52 as pannier, but good to have option of 3 sizes of top box.

You wouldn't per chance have a pic of your bike with the givi framework in its removed state? edit, don't worry found an excellent you tube on it.

What you do on top box mount, just std givi? I'm kind of tempted to go sw motech alu rack with givi adaptor plate, then run maybe a soft type bags connection for general use and keep trekkers for trekking!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure you are looking at the link I posted, or maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, because that link is a quick release rack made by GIVI. Much like the SW Motech, there are pieces of the rack which are permanently mounted but the bulk of the rack disconnects when not in use.
No sorry, I'll look again, I just thought it was a std one.
I'll try you tube n see if I can find a demo from someone also
Its hard to get an idea on these things as I don't live near the big citys I'm basically buying unseen.

cheers

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Thanks, great pics, yeah I wouldn't use 52 as pannier, but good to have option of 3 sizes of top box.

You wouldn't per chance have a pic of your bike with the givi framework in its removed state? edit, don't worry found an excellent you tube on it.

What you do on top box mount, just std givi? I'm kind of tempted to go sw motech alu rack with givi adaptor plate, then run maybe a soft type bags connection for general use and keep trekkers for trekking!
I'll get some pics for you soon. I was going to do it yesterday but the weather conspired against me :thumbdown:

In the meantime here are some pics from the GIVI instructions, that should give you a better idea of the set up :thumbup:

I hope this helps. :yesnod:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll get some pics for you soon. I was going to do it yesterday but the weather conspired against me :thumbdown:

In the meantime here are some pics from the GIVI instructions, that should give you a better idea of the set up :thumbup:

:
yes great, thanks.

I'm ordering the plr3101, not much in it between motech, I wasn't even aware givi did this one, so thanks to those who gave info:thumbup:

Can I ask two more questions, did they all come keyed as one key from givi?
I thought that was idea of the monolock idea which trekkers I believe are, they telling me its 70 bux extra, ouch on already expensive cases.

Also did the top box adaptor plate come with it or is that another extra?

cheers

·
Registered
184 Posts
There are places that have combo deals on three, not sure what they do with locks, but considering how much you spend, they should give you the locks for free, I would shop around, will make a difference, I wouldn't spend that much and then have to spend more for locks, I would order them right from Givi.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
yes great, thanks.

I'm ordering the plr3101, not much in it between motech, I wasn't even aware givi did this one, so thanks to those who gave info:thumbup:

Can I ask two more questions, did they all come keyed as one key from givi?
I thought that was idea of the monolock idea which trekkers I believe are, they telling me its 70 bux extra, ouch on already expensive cases.

Also did the top box adaptor plate come with it or is that another extra?

cheers
The Trekker is Monokey, so you will need a plate for the top box, as Monokey don't come with plates. I have the SRA3101 Alloy Plate fitted, but you can get a plastic version (Part SR3101).

SRA3101 Alloy Monokey Top Box Plate | A Pair of Stroms

I got the 3 piece security keyset (SL103) for around $70.00, this makes all 3 boxes keyed the same and is so much more convenient, worth it IMO.

The Trekker set up is not cheap, but the quality is there and they are tough as. Well worth every cent for function and looks :thumbup:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The Trekker is Monokey, so you will need a plate for the top box, as Monokey don't come with plates. I have the SRA3101 Alloy Plate fitted, but you can get a plastic version (Part SR3101).

SRA3101 Alloy Monokey Top Box Plate | A Pair of Stroms

I got the 3 piece security keyset (SL103) for around $70.00, this makes all 3 boxes keyed the same and is so much more convenient, worth it IMO.

The Trekker set up is not cheap, but the quality is there and they are tough as. Well worth every cent for function and looks :thumbup:
Again thanks, top info, think I'll go the alloy plate also, did they fit the security keyset or does it come as a fit yourself extra?

We (mrs n me ) decided we will do Esk. Should have all my farkles by then :)

edit: I'm thinkin locks as an extra might be better, so you keep originals as spares

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Again thanks, top info, think I'll go the alloy plate also, did they fit the security keyset or does it come as a fit yourself extra?

We (mrs n me ) decided we will do Esk. Should have all my farkles by then :)

edit: I'm thinkin locks as an extra might be better, so you keep originals as spares
Had to fit them myself, not hard just fiddly. Watch out for the springs and ball bearing, easy to lose :mrgreen:

Good to have one key do all three boxes, and yes have plenty of spare locks and keys, but well worth it.

Enjoy the new bike and boxes, and hope you have lots of fun and adventures :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Kappa Garda - a cheaper alternativ to Givi Trekker.

For the last 2 years I've used a Touratech Zega Pro 38L top case on my Strom, but as I could use more storage space, I'm going to replace it with a Kappa Garda KGR 52.

Kappa is a subsidiary to Givi, making many of the same products - but in simpler and cheaper versions.

The Garda cases is similar to the Trekker cases, with a different look (less aluminum panels) and the side cases (KGR 33 and 46) has a simpler lid.

Kappa cases fit onto Givi mounting plates and use the same terms regarding their cases (Monolock/Monokey).

I'm going to buy a Givi T490 inner bag for the Garda KGR 52 - Kappa also make an inner bag for the Garda cases, but it's a "one bag fits all" unlike the Givi inner bags that are made specific for the different cases.

Givi T490:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
If you ride 2-up much, you might check out Adventure MotoStuff's adjustable rack "AMS 2012 V-Strom 650 Adjustable Topcase Mounting System For Givi Monokey Cases". That way you can adjust your top box to fit your wife better than just a fixed position that most of the racks seem to provide. This set also gives you the aluminum top plate with lots of holes for straps, and I think it also has holes pre-drilled for the Rotopax mounts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the last 2 years I've used a Touratech Zega Pro 38L top case on my Strom, but as I could use more storage space, I'm going to replace it with a Kappa Garda KGR 52.

Kappa is a subsidiary to Givi, making many of the same products - but in simpler and cheaper versions.

The Garda cases is similar to the Trekker cases, with a different look (less aluminum panels) and the side cases (KGR 33 and 46) has a simpler lid.

Kappa cases fit onto Givi mounting plates and use the same terms regarding their cases (Monolock/Monokey).

I'm going to buy a Givi T490 inner bag for the Garda KGR 52 - Kappa also make an inner bag for the Garda cases, but it's a "one bag fits all" unlike the Givi inner bags that are made specific for the different cases.

Givi T490:
Very interesting, I'd heard of them before, although looking up on ebay as a price comparator didn't seem to be a big difference in price.

the inner bags are a good add on agree.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you ride 2-up much, you might check out Adventure MotoStuff's adjustable rack "AMS 2012 V-Strom 650 Adjustable Topcase Mounting System For Givi Monokey Cases". That way you can adjust your top box to fit your wife better than just a fixed position that most of the racks seem to provide. This set also gives you the aluminum top plate with lots of holes for straps, and I think it also has holes pre-drilled for the Rotopax mounts.
Thanks, hadn't seen them, I have bought the givi mounting hardware now.
I got the quick release ones.

My wife is pretty good on back and settles in quite well n doesn't usually complain. Guess I'm lucky there!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Very interesting, I'd heard of them before, although looking up on ebay as a price comparator didn't seem to be a big difference in price.

the inner bags are a good add on agree.
The price difference here in Europe is around 20% on the 52L top case.
Price is not the main issue, when I choose the Garda over the Trekker - I just prefer the look of the Garda.

For me inner bags is a must.
- it makes packing the case easier.
- it makes it easier to organize the content of the case.
- it makes it easier to utilize all the space in the case without risking things spilling out when you open the lid.
- when on tour it's nice to just grab the inner bag when staying in hotels, and leave the unhandy and often dirty case on the bike.
- when camping you can bring the inner bag into your tent, leave the case on the bike and use it for storing helmet, jacket, gloves etc.

NB. Thanks zedex9r :thumbup1: Your pictures convinced me that the 52L case doesn't look to bulky on the Strom, and without your info I would have ended up with the sad looking plastic mounting plate instead of the much nicer alloy plate - which I didn't know was available.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts