StromTrooper banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
17,757 Posts
Were I to ever go that route even though the new wing is quite impressive, for a true sport mega touring machine I would have to go with a 1250RT.

·
Registered
2020 - V Storm 650XT
7 Posts
View attachment 281478 First of all. I kept my 2012 Vee. I’ve had a dream since my boys were little of doing the cross country thing with them when they were old enough. So now we have 3 capable bikes, and if the vaccine can get in our arms, we should be able to this summer. My wife encouraged this purchase because when she sat on the GoldWing she got excited about how comfortable the pillion was. So, win-win. Got to take it out yesterday for about 3 hours before it started getting to cold. It’s a 2018 and it’s fantastic. It is the DCT which is strange, I keep grabbing for the nonexistent clutch. But I really can’t believe how nimble and small that huge bike feels. Just figured I would share some kinda cool news in the doldrums of winter. Am I still allowed to hang out in here with you all?
Enjoy your GoldWing, yes you can hang out here but each time you say something you have to pay me 10 cent ...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I can as

I can assure you the latest Wing is no old mans bike, I would LOVE to have the new DCT!!!!!
DCT would be my choice as well. As far as an old mans bike, I think it's generally accepted that is who buys them and I don't see that as a negative.

1. Old bikers know what makes a good bike! V-Strom is also viewed as an old mans bike, and from the events i've been to that's generally true.
2. Old bikers can afford a 30k bike
3. Old bikers have the time/money to properly travel on such a beautiful bike

Reactions: om28 and Big B

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Were I to ever go that route even though the new wing is quite impressive, for a true sport mega touring machine I would have to go with a 1250RT.
I did a demo day on the BMW 1600, man what a bike!

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
DCT would be my choice as well. As far as an old mans bike, I think it's generally accepted that is who buys them and I don't see that as a negative.

1. Old bikers know what makes a good bike! V-Strom is also viewed as an old mans bike, and from the events i've been to that's generally true.
2. Old bikers can afford a 30k bike
3. Old bikers have the time/money to properly travel on such a beautiful bike
Approaching old biker age, who am I kidding hah!

I would go smaller and lighter than my 1000 Strom not bigger and heavier.

I can see myself on a dual sport when I'm 80...

Reactions: tenny80

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Wow, Like you I have had many bikes, 3 GW and 2 DL1000's..... The older I get the "simpler" I am finding I am attracted to it pertaining to two wheels!!! Thanks for the info as I was oggling a new Blue GW, prolly my last. Not no so much. Ya never seen anything but sterling accolates on YouTube on this ST1800 in my mind.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

I doubt i'll even live to see 80 haha. I plan on a goldwing in about 20 years, when I turn 60 :)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just turned 70 and have a 2018 DCT Wing. I also have a 2013 Wee, a 2015 Versys 1000LT, and recently bought a Yamaha TTR-125 to ride in the woods. It depends how I feel when I crawl out of bed in the morning, on which bike I’ll ride for the day.

I think that Wings get a bad reputation for being an ”old man’s bike” because most young men can’t afford them. If you’re in your 20’s and have a choice between a $8k sport bike and a $30k Wing, the decision is probably made by your wallet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Congrats on the Wing! I thought an ST was going to be my next bike, but it turns out my GF really likes to ride along so an F6B got added at the end of last summer.

It was also a 50th bday present to myself....I'm ok with joining the Old Man's Club.

·
Registered
730 Posts

Dual sports are a gas. I'm 67 and love my WR250R. Put 8500 miles on it in 2 years including some week or longer BDR trips with camping gear. It's a plus that I can pick it up when I drop it in the woods, lol.
I'm keeping my '16 DL650 though because occasionally it's nice to blast the hard top :)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts