StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all. I kept my 2012 Vee. I’ve had a dream since my boys were little of doing the cross country thing with them when they were old enough. So now we have 3 capable bikes, and if the vaccine can get in our arms, we should be able to this summer. My wife encouraged this purchase because when she sat on the GoldWing she got excited about how comfortable the pillion was. So, win-win. Got to take it out yesterday for about 3 hours before it started getting to cold. It’s a 2018 and it’s fantastic. It is the DCT which is strange, I keep grabbing for the nonexistent clutch. But I really can’t believe how nimble and small that huge bike feels. Just figured I would share some kinda cool news in the doldrums of winter. Am I still allowed to hang out in here with you all?

·
Registered
371 Posts
But I really can’t believe how nimble and small that huge bike feels.
Congrats Branch good choice, DCT is great fun in "manual" mode...nimble is right, I had a GL1800 and was ridding with friends on CBR, SuperDuke, FJR, RT, GS never a problem keeping up, the Wing can be ridden as a true ST machine.
Enjoy the ultimate in 2 wheels and post some pictures.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
599 Posts
I purchased a new GL1800 in 2003. I was never a fan of big heavy tourers but a Wife with a bad back prompted the move. I had it for 10 years and tbh I have no regrets whatsoever. It was incredible how such a monster was so nimble. Time and time again it hung in there with much smaller and lighter bikes on twisty backroads and never once did it give me an anxious moment. It was our tourer primarily and we used it for rallies and annual holidays on mainland europe. We eventually parted with it only because my increasing age coupled with my small stature made it a handful to manhandle. I would recommend them to anyone and that gorgeous flat six was a gem of a motor. .

·
Registered
88 Posts
I haven't had the pleasure of trying out the 2018-up Wing, but I have taken a few rides on the previous GL1800, and I still have my old Valkyrie. The flat 6 is a fantastic motorcycle engine. Bikes with it are fairly heavy, but having the weight down low allows for handling that surprises a lot of people. Enjoy your new bike!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Check out the 'Yellow Wolf' videos on YouTube. The guy could out ride 99% of the sport bikes that ride 'The Dragon' on his Goldwing!!!

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
First of all. I kept my 2012 Vee. I’ve had a dream since my boys were little of doing the cross country thing with them when they were old enough. So now we have 3 capable bikes, and if the vaccine can get in our arms, we should be able to this summer. My wife encouraged this purchase because when she sat on the GoldWing she got excited about how comfortable the pillion was. So, win-win. Got to take it out yesterday for about 3 hours before it started getting to cold. It’s a 2018 and it’s fantastic. It is the DCT which is strange, I keep grabbing for the nonexistent clutch. But I really can’t believe how nimble and small that huge bike feels. Just figured I would share some kinda cool news in the doldrums of winter. Am I still allowed to hang out in here with you all?
I love the Goldwings and it might just be my next bike but i'm not sure if I meet the age requirement yet as I am only 40 haha. I think it would compliment my CRF450L very nicely though!

The 2018+ reminds me of my ST1300A and man do I regret selling that bike! I need the cash for a house so it had to go but it was the most comfortable bike I ever owned.

Reactions: GlennTom and Branch

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats on your GW. Have owned an '08 1800 (sold), but have an '85 Limited Edition that I am restoring - rebuild engine and fresh paint, and a '95 1500 - new paint job. Of course I have my 2012 Vee. Took the new GW for a ride with the DCT, lots of pep, like the front suspension - magic. Enjoy.

Reactions: Branch

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
I can as
I love the Goldwings and it might just be my next bike but i'm not sure if I meet the age requirement yet as I am only 40 haha. I think it would compliment my CRF450L very nicely though!

The 2018+ reminds me of my ST1300A and man do I regret selling that bike! I need the cash for a house so it had to go but it was the most comfortable bike I ever owned.
I can assure you the latest Wing is no old mans bike, I would LOVE to have the new DCT!!!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah, wings are amazing. Honda really hit it out of the park on that one. And they have been amazing for decades. My dad had one years and years ago and finally got rid of it because he couldn't ride it responsibly. With great power, comes great temptation to use the power.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
When the Kawasaki Z1came out it was the fastest bike in the market. The second fastest was the GL1000.
I've had GoldWings off and on since 1973. Never had a bad one.

Reactions: JBNY and Branch

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hate to be the dissenter here but I have a very different view of the new Goldwing. I've had three Goldwings now and four DL1000s. I currently own a 2018 Goldwing Tour manual and a 2019 DL1000. I love the V-Stroms. I bought the last Goldwing so my wife would be comfortable while riding. If I ride alone, it is always the V-Strom. I've had this new Goldwing for a year now and there is no way in hell, I would buy another one. Here are my biggest complaints. The electronics are far too complex. The operator's manuals total 325 pages. The GPS system is worthless and very difficult to program. I added a Garmin GPS on my handlebars and that is what I use. I have had several instances where the bike would no longer recognize my smart key and it has left me stuck more than once (this is a common issue). There have been frequent failures like the latches for the bags and gas filler doors so I couldn't get them open without much monkeying with key and switches.

Slow, parking lot speeds make the new Wing handle like a wild buffalo. Get in some loose gravel and you'll be lucky to get through without it dumping you on the ground. This has happened to me several times, and again last week. It was all I could do to keep it upright. My wife was on the back and we both likely would have been badly hurt if we had gotten dumped. I've been on that same pull-out with my wife on back, on my V-Strom. No problem whatsoever, and the Strom is wonderful in parking lot maneuvers and gravel.

The new Wing is a beast to work on. Everything is so tight and poorly engineered for service, it is a nightmare. Just getting the seat off and back on again can take me two hours of pushing, pulling and adjusting to get it properly fit back on. The trunk and saddle bags are way to small for touring. The saddle bags are more suitable as glove boxes. My V-Strom is set up for a lot more storage than the Wing and works better for packing for a trip. There are MANY other issues about the new Wing but I'll stop there.

Well, I know there are a lot of glowing reports about the new Wing and it is everyone's right to have their own feelings and beliefs. These are mine, so at least, other's will have a heads up. I'm not trying to slam anyone, I just think we owe it to each other share our experiences. I'll stay a loyal Stromtrooper, not a Winger.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hate to be the dissenter here but I have a very different view of the new Goldwing. I've had three Goldwings now and four DL1000s. I currently own a 2018 Goldwing Tour manual and a 2019 DL1000. I love the V-Stroms. I bought the last Goldwing so my wife would be comfortable while riding. If I ride alone, it is always the V-Strom. I've had this new Goldwing for a year now and there is no way in hell, I would buy another one. Here are my biggest complaints. The electronics are far too complex. The operator's manuals total 325 pages. The GPS system is worthless and very difficult to program. I added a Garmin GPS on my handlebars and that is what I use. I have had several instances where the bike would no longer recognize my smart key and it has left me stuck more than once (this is a common issue). There have been frequent failures like the latches for the bags and gas filler doors so I couldn't get them open without much monkeying with key and switches.

Slow, parking lot speeds make the new Wing handle like a wild buffalo. Get in some loose gravel and you'll be lucky to get through without it dumping you on the ground. This has happened to me several times, and again last week. It was all I could do to keep it upright. My wife was on the back and we both likely would have been badly hurt if we had gotten dumped. I've been on that same pull-out with my wife on back, on my V-Strom. No problem whatsoever, and the Strom is wonderful in parking lot maneuvers and gravel.

The new Wing is a beast to work on. Everything is so tight and poorly engineered for service, it is a nightmare. Just getting the seat off and back on again can take me two hours of pushing, pulling and adjusting to get it properly fit back on. The trunk and saddle bags are way to small for touring. The saddle bags are more suitable as glove boxes. My V-Strom is set up for a lot more storage than the Wing and works better for packing for a trip. There are MANY other issues about the new Wing but I'll stop there.

Well, I know there are a lot of glowing reports about the new Wing and it is everyone's right to have their own feelings and beliefs. These are mine, so at least, other's will have a heads up. I'm not trying to slam anyone, I just think we owe it to each other share our experiences. I'll stay a loyal Stromtrooper, not a Winger.
Really appreciate your honest opinion and some of the issues I’m liable to face. I will keep everyone posted on issues that I run into. I’ve not had enough time in the seat to have a real world opinion at this point.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Really appreciate your honest opinion and some of the issues I’m liable to face. I will keep everyone posted on issues that I run into. I’ve not had enough time in the seat to have a real world opinion at this point.
And I have never worked on one, so I would have no idea how good or bad they are these days. Feature bloat is certainly a thing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My brother just bought a new one, and the saddle bags are so small you'd be lucky to put 2 sammichs in them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts